Medical What should I write about for diversity essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've written two different diversity essays but was wondering which people think I should go with?

1: Revolves around running, I've run two half-marathons and continue to race throughout the year, completed a 75 mile challenge during month of may where i ran avg 2.5 miles a day, big part of my health and helps me clear my mind. Big lesson about pacing yourself and long-term goals
2: kickboxing, started after fall of freshman year and have loved it. It's so fun and a great way to relieve stress. It made me more confident and re-defined how I thought about myself (body image stuff).

Or should I find something else? I know they are both exercise related and a lot of my activities are influenced by exercise and health (research in obesity, volunteering with kids to help instill healthy habits, I work at a gym part-time during school)
I don't know that either of these actually relate to true diversity. 1 is certainly the better of the two. However, my perception is that almost anyone can run, so while this may be great for an essay about stress relief, I think digging deep to find something that makes you truly unique would be ideal. The activity you mentioned at the bottom, namely obesity research in obesity and volunteering with children to build better habits (I assume this includes appropriate diet and exercise) might be better fodder.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm voting thumbs down too. This is not an opportunity to talk about your hobbies. It's a chance to talk about how you work with people who do not share your education, background, or upbringing. You'll meet plenty of patients and health care team members who you will need to connect with. Understand what diversity is and how you have reflected on it in your past.
I definitely understand this, I've just seen a lot of people say they wrote about their hobbies and they thought it helped them stand out but I think it really depends on the specific schools prompt. I've worked with people who never learned how to read, which I've talked about in my primaries and will talk about in certain essays but I didn't feel as if this was appropriate to talk about for how I am necessarily diverse or how "particular experiences, interests, and passions will add to the strength and diversity" to the class. But maybe I was approaching it wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.