What should Imajor in going into my undergrad year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jpotters1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to graduate from high school and i want to be a physical therapist. I've shadowed PTs and i know for sure that's what i want to do. But i don't know what i want to major in, I hear about different types of majors but i eventually want to go to PT school and I want a major that will help me as much as possible for my future.

Anything will help, Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DPT schools accept students of all majors. You can major in anything you want (unless you do a 3+3 program which I think has some limitations.... not sure about that). But if you're going into undergrad and then going into a 3 year DPT program, you can major in anything. Just make sure you complete the pre-reqs for each of hte programs you are planning on applying to

I chose kinesiology because it already required most of my prereqs. Yes, it's a "useless degree" if I don't get into PT school, but for me there's no other option. Other degrees do give you some kind of varied background and give you something to fall back on, but kinesiology gives you a strong biomechanical background and is a shorter path.

Members don't see this ad :)
usually....

Kinesiology/Exercise Science
or
Biology

might as well make grad school easier by majoring in something that you will benefit from.

When you say"shorter path" that means less years? But PT school is my only option and i want take less, So i understand what you're saying. Thank you for the feed backs! :)

But wouldn't you need a major that would help you for PT school or what you're going to be doing in the future?

Shorter path meaning that ex sci, kines, bio, etc. are heavy on sciences which are prereqs to apply for pt school. If you major in art you will have virtually no prereqs completed for your application, so you will have an extra semester or two playing catch up. From what I understand though, PT school is such a monster that while a science background can help and certainly won't hurt, nothing can really prepare you for it. It's like learning how to swim. You can read about swimming and watch people swim forever but you won't really know how to do it until you jump in.

While it is true you can major in anything, there is an advantage to majoring in something like exercise science or kinesiology. Both those majors use anatomy in many of the classes, whereas with an accounting degree your anatomy knowledge is just what you took in A&P. You'll have an easier time in that first year of PT school with a relevent degree.

Shorter path meaning that ex sci, kines, bio, etc. are heavy on sciences which are prereqs to apply for pt school. If you major in art you will have virtually no prereqs completed for your application, so you will have an extra semester or two playing catch up. From what I understand though, PT school is such a monster that while a science background can help and certainly won't hurt, nothing can really prepare you for it. It's like learning how to swim. You can read about swimming and watch people swim forever but you won't really know how to do it until you jump in.

wow nicely said!

If you want a major that will help prep you for PT school & the PT profession in general, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, etc. would be your best bet. I majored in Exercise Science & have thoroughly enjoyed it and do believe it will help me transition into PT school a littler easier. However, you can major in anything you want. If you have another area you're passionate in, then don't shy away from majoring in it. I was a die-hard Psych major who switched to Ex. Science after my sparked interest in PT. Although I do think the switch was good, I still have days where I wish I would have stuck with Psych because I enjoy it so much. Regardless, major in something YOU LOVE! Good luck to you. :)

Thank you i'm going to need all luck i can get! :)