Medical What should my next steps be as an international applicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am writing this email as I am making a decision on my options and chances.
I am a Canadian applicant and have never applied to US schools before.
I have finished my undergrad and have a relatively competitive cGPA: 3.86
Unfortunately, I have written MCAT 3 times already and have not got satisfactory results:
First MCAT(CP,CARS,BB,PS): 124,128,126,126 T: 504
Second MCAT: 128,125,129,125 T: 507
3rd MCAT: 127,124,130,128 T: 509

My ECs are not bad at all. I guess average I would say. Have long term involvement. Clinical and volunteer involvements. unique experiences and also research and I am going to get a Co-authorship this year.

My question is do I even have a shot if I apply to US MD on the first day of the new cycle.
If I write MCAT again and do better especially in CARS and get 115+ is that going to help.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. Really appreciate your help.
I can't recommend retaking the MCAT because you've hit your plateau.

And due to this, and being a 3x taker, and the fact that internationals need to be superstars, MD is off the table.

You're fine for those DO schools that accept Canadians, especially MSUCOM and UNECOM

Members don't see this ad.

So unless I magically manage to boost my MCAT to 518+, you would not recommend applying to any MD school?
Ultimately, it's your money and your call. But you need to keep in mind that when someone is reviewing your app they aren't really asking if you would make a good doctor--they're asking if you would be more likely to make a good doctor than all of the other applications they received. If your ECs are "average," and there are a limited number of spots for Canadian applicants, then the reality is that you're going to be passed over for a stronger applicant.

So... if you can't honestly say why your app is stronger than others', I would save your money. If you want to try your luck that's fine, but it's probably a donation.

Basically.

The thing is...there are so many US applicants that medical schools don't need to look at Canadian apps to fill their schools. For you to be competitive as an international applicant, you basically need to blow the school out of the water with your entire application. Your MCAT (after taking it three times) is only 509. The average US average for matriculants is 511.5. Your GPA is fine. I am also assuming you don't have crazy ECs either as you said yourself they are average.

My advice to you is to apply to DO schools that take Canadian applicants. To get into MD, you would have to score super high on the MCAT, and with your track record, it just likely isn't going to happen. There is a point where you have to be realistic with yourself that you may have hit a ceiling with your scores.

My advice...apply DO and hopefully you can get a few interviews, knock them outta the park, and move on with becoming a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about "any" MD school. I'm sure some schools might take a shot under extraordinary circumstances (which I don't think apply to you). I would say I was a little surprised my program will auto-deny someone for taking too many MCAT's. I thought it was just in the eligible time period... but apparently it is three attempts lifetime, even if you took it before the switch in 2015.

Unfortunately, in Canada, they don't warn you against multiple attempts as the schools do not care at all. I know someone who was able to land MD at Wayne med school after 5 MCAT attempts. pretty similar in other stats. I think the best thing to do is to write the MCAT if I think I will score much much better. Otherwise, apply with the current score to all DO schools and hope I land something. Do you think I will have a shot at DO schools?
Your MCAT range now would be in-bounds for DO schools, but you should make sure you pick international-friendly programs. It definitely is in-bounds for US podiatry programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.