What should one do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here's my scenario: 38 years old, African-American male, 36 MCAT 12,12,12 across the board, Q in the writing portion, 2.2
GPA (YUCK!) about 14 years ago in EE/ME/ChE with 310 hours total (didn't know what I wanted to do with my life), 3.88 GPA in current BPCM and other classes (total 100 hours in the current 3.5 years, National Honor Society (2004-2007), poetry award, classical music pianoforte performance award, art award (graphic arts), writing award (short story), Cisco
Certifications in networking, 8 years engineering experience, taught high school math,chemistry,earth science,environmental 2
years, and no health experience.

Medical School, Medical School, Medical School, Oh My.
Would I be wasting my time applying? ...... :D

Members don't see this ad.

The "no health experience" will sink you the quickest. I wouldn't advise you to apply until you've had some experience in healthcare (volunteering, shadowing, something).

Ok here's my scenario: 38 years old, African-American male, 36 MCAT 12,12,12 across the board, Q in the writing portion, 2.2
GPA (YUCK!) about 14 years ago in EE/ME/ChE with 310 hours total (didn't know what I wanted to do with my life), 3.88 GPA in current BPCM and other classes (total 100 hours in the current 3.5 years, National Honor Society (2004-2007), poetry award, classical music pianoforte performance award, art award (graphic arts), writing award (short story), Cisco
Certifications in networking, 8 years engineering experience, taught high school math,chemistry,earth science,environmental 2
years, and no health experience.

Medical School, Medical School, Medical School, Oh My.
Would I be wasting my time applying? ...... :D

Even though your recent coursework is excellent, you have over 300 hours and you need to know what your cumulative GPA is. Figure this out as the AMCAS application will calculate your cum GPA taking into consideration all of your coursework both remote and recent. The upward trend is good but your cum might be low for many schools.

Yes, I agree that you need some volunteer and shadowing experience as what you have outlined above does not indicate that you have health care experience. Your MCAT is excellent but a strong MCAT will not overcome a week cum undergraduate GPA. Figure out what you have and apply to schools that interest you and in whose range you fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me make some assumptions here, please feel free to correct me.

You say you have 310 hours total: 100 of those were the past 3.5 hours at a 3.88.

(210 * 2.2) = 462 undergrad GPA quality points
(100 * 3.88) = 388 post-bacc quality points

Therefore, your overall GPA (assuming no repeats) is:

(462 + 388) / (310) = 2.74

Calculating your science GPA would be downright hellish, because I'm assuming you have a lot of science courses between an engineering undergrad and this 100 hour post-bacc. Now, a 2.74 is very low. I think you have a few things working for you, though.

1) Superior AND lengthy post-bacc record
2) URM (under-represented) status
3) Superior MCAT score

Now, some schools will screen you out with that sub-3.0 GPA, no doubt. I'm curious, though, if some schools don't have an option on their computerized "screen," that allows sub-par GPAs get through if coupled with certain other factors. Two things I could definitely see them letting a <3.0 getting by because of would be a very high MCAT (maybe > 35) or URM status.

Like others have said, lack of healthcare experience is the real killer to your app. It's pretty late now, anyway. You planned on applying now? Unfortunately, you'd be put on the end of the pile, since med school is kind of a first-come-first-serve thing.

I'd apply next spring, personally. And I'd apply to osteopathic and allopathic schools. Osteopathic schools could be a godsend for you. Osteo schools calculate GPAs differently than allo schools. When you retake a course, allo schools average the two grades (so an F, retaken with an A, gives you a C, numerically), whereas osteo schools only take the newest grade (so if you had an F, retook and got an A, AACOMAS says you got an A); it's a beautiful thing for those who made mistakes in the past!

So let's assume, since your GPA was so low (2.2 originally), you had a couple (3) F's, a few D's (3), and some C-'s (4). If you retook all those courses, and got A's in all of them (which you've proved to us you are capable of these days), you could potentially have the following cum GPA:

Total points - [sum of credit hours * grades] + [retaken course grades * credit hours] =

462 - 9(0) - 9(1.0) - 12(1.7) = 432.6
432.6 + 9(2.0) + 9(2.5) + 12(2.85) = 507.3

507.3 + 388 / 310 = 2.88 Allopathic GPA

Now, a 2.88 is still low and not really very helpful, right? Let's see what your osteopathic GPA would be, though:

462 -9(0) - 9(1.0) - 12(1.7) = 432.6
432.6 + 9(4.0) + 9(4.0) + 12(4.0) = 552.6

552.6 + 388 / 310 = 3.03 Osteopathic GPA

YES! We can get you up to a 3.0. I made a lot of assumptions, but I just want to show you it's completely possible, even with 310 credit hours, with the majority at a 2.2 average, to get your 2.7 up to a 3.0 in only 2 semesters!

So I say to you, retake as many F's/D's/C-s as you possibly can and get all A's. Hell, if you had, let's say, 10 F's, your allopathic GPA could actually be (after those 10 F's being retake with A's and essentially counted as C's) a 2.93, and your osteopathic could then be a 3.12.

Now, it's 1:06 A.M. here, so my math could be a bit fuzzy, but I'd say that next year, you'd have a VERY realistic chance at a DO school (>3.0 GPA entirely possible with retakes, far above average GPA, and URM status). If you'd like me to do more exact calculations and forecasting, PM me every class you've ever taken with the grades; I can do your overal, non-science, and science GPA's for you. I'm sure you'd rather not post them on a public forum :laugh:

Good luck, man!

My god meatwad that was thorough.

What is the difference that yields a Allopathic GPA as opposed to an Osteopathic GPA?

The "no health experience" will sink you the quickest. I wouldn't advise you to apply until you've had some experience in healthcare (volunteering, shadowing, something).

Agree with this. You need to look at this as a huge prereq to med school. Med schools want to know that you are well thought out, and really know what you are getting yourself into, and the most important way to show this is to have researched the field by getting direct exposure. But it will also be something you ought to find useful because honestly, you ought to want to have an inkling of what it is folks in healthcare do before you launch into a 40+ year, 60 hr/day career, doing it.

Due they usually wrap them like mummies?

At most schools yes, the head remains wrapped until head day. The rest of the body gets wrapped every day at the end.

I took gross anatomy for PT with the same instructor that taught the med students at U of Miami. Anyways, we never wrapped the cadaver and I don't recollect the head being covered either. It was such an amazing learning experience. I would love to do it again (and will have to if i ever get into a school)!

Meatwad, I had 310 hours 14 years ago with the aforementioned gpa of 2.2. I then had 100 hours present with a 3.88 gpa all in science with maybe 4 classes of humanities (a lot of science (physics, astronomy, biology, biochemistry, organic, lasers (photonics), electric circuits, quantum mechanics, you name I took it)... :D

Alright, thanks. In that case, your total GPA would be a 2.609...

Most engineering courses don't count in the science GPA, so it's still very hard for me to calculate your individual GPAs without ever course listed that you've ever taken :eek:. I think, regardless, your best shot is to retake any F's/D's/C-'s and get all A's (don't think you'll have a problem since you have 100 recent hours at a 3.88). Your GPA will be raised to a much better number for allopathic schools, and might even be "competitive," for a DO school! I honestly think, due to the fact you have 100 recent course hours at a 3.88, if you can retake some courses and get your GPAs to a 3.0, you have a very legit chance of getting into an MD school.

I'd strongly suggest applying to Howard, Meharry, and I believe Morehouse. You have a very interesting academic story, and very strong recent grades. Hell, I've seen recent grads (22 year olds) get in with a sub-3.0 GPA (and without your very strong upward trend). If it wasn't for your lack of volunteering/clinical experience, I'd say apply late right now! I'd definitely apply to these schools as early as possible next cycle. If you like either school enough, see if they do early decision next spring!