What should we do if we don't know how many hours we've put into some of our activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skrolls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some of my activities I'm forced to estimate the number of hours I've put into them with very rounded numbers (100 hours, 30 hours, etc.) simply because I have no idea what the real number is. For some others (hobbies, traveling, sports, etc.) that I've been doing forever I have no clue what the number of hours I have would be aside from making a wild estimate. I'm afraid that adcoms will think I'm maliciously fudging my numbers when it's not my intention at all.

Members don't see this ad.

For some of my activities I'm forced to estimate the number of hours I've put into them with very rounded numbers (100 hours, 30 hours, etc.) simply because I have no idea what the real number is. For some others (hobbies, traveling, sports, etc.) that I've been doing forever I have no clue what the number of hours I have would be aside from making a wild estimate. I'm afraid that adcoms will think I'm maliciously fudging my numbers when it's not my intention at all.

This belongs in the AMCAS Work Activities thread, but you can put '999' for something you've done for years (e.g. a hobby).

However, for activities, you should really try calculating a best guess estimate and be able to back it up. For example, I did 3 h/wk mentoring for a year, but I started in late September. That's 12 wk for the first academic term and 16 wk for a second. (12+16)*3 = 84 h total.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a lot of people estimate with round numbers. It's fine as long as it's close to accurate. Nobody will jump down your throat for saying 100 hours instead of 96. However, if you say 100 hours instead of 62, that's dishonesty and not rounding.