What software do you all use to type scientific literature?

Mar 29, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm doing some summer research, and I'm not sure if there is any software people use to type research papers, or if they just draft it up on Microsoft Word. Thanks in advance.

Internist_Sandman

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student
Google docs with Paperpile citation software. Paperpile integrates into google drive so you can cite in-line by searching title, PMID, etc. Google docs allows real time collaboration, and a history of changes that can save your life if something goes wrong. Plus it’s the cloud, so it’s not prone to issues with not saving a document.

Edit: Paperpile also generates a reference list based on your citations. You just pick the journal from their list and boom — reformatted in 2 seconds.

Reactions: 1 users

OnePunchBiopsy

Allergies: Clinic
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2014
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
They are typically drafted entirely using a word processor (i.e., Microsoft Word).

Ghostwriting (having another person or program not mentioned in the paper write major aspects of it) is typically frowned upon.

Programs such as EndNote and Mendeley make organizing the references much easier. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

eteshoe

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Dione, Saturn
Status
  1. MD/PhD Student
+2 for Mendeley (though Endnote is more popular) as far as a reference manager.

Typically you would put together the rough draft using Microsoft Word, have iterative rounds of editing by your PI and authors on the paper, etc.

Tangerine123

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
Google docs and Zotero.

As far as I remember, Zotero's pluggin works with scihub. Mendeley doesn't (correct me if i'm wrong)

JoaoMoutinho

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
  1. MD/PhD Student
+1 for word and endnote. I'll have to give the Google docs and paperpile one a try though. My institution doesn't pay for endnote but gives us RefWorks. If Endnote is like an ice-cold Coke on a hot summer day, think of RefWorks like a warm diet Pepsi from a cup that had sour milk and didn't get rinsed out very well.

Sep 15, 2019
Status
  1. Medical Student
Word, Endnote, & Kopernio. Kopernio searches through databases using your university access then has a single click to download it to endnote along with a pdf.

BlackSquirrelMed

2+ Year Member
May 1, 2016
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Word, Endnote, & Kopernio. Kopernio searches through databases using your university access then has a single click to download it to endnote along with a pdf.

Seconded for Kopernio. Been able to find plenty of additional full texts that I needed once I got all I could with Zotero’s PDF finder

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads