What software does your school use for patient logs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CountryDoc2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What software is your school using for logging patient procedures/encounters? I know ours (DMU) and some others use e*value PxDx (which is horrible). Are there any other programs out there? Apps? I'd like to present some alternatives to our clinical affairs dept.
Also, if you are using something else, please comment on ease of use/how you like the program.

Members don't see this ad.

We use some in-house one. It is missing like > 50% of common procedures/diagnoses, but it's more of a formality than anything else so no one really complains.

What software is your school using for logging patient procedures/encounters? ... Are there any other programs out there? Apps? ...

This is an interesting post and the best answer kind of depends on how you want to use the information. As a student, who would you show (outside of the course requirements)? If you were applying for an employment interview would you use your medical student patient logs? Are you presenting the information in hardcopy, online, or both?

New Innovations is what a lot of residency programs use. Residencies that operate out of a single health system have it easier and can automatically log patients based upon billing/coding interactions. For students, they're mostly going from hospital to hospital and clinic to clinic, so it's all on your own.

My school created their own program, but you essentially entered in the number of diagnoses you saw (e.g., I saw ICD-9 401.9 essential HTN 40 times during XYZ months) as opposed to each individual clinical encounter and the various diagnoses for that encounter. It's a bad system in my opinion and not a realistic way of keeping track of your experiences. Plus nobody used it. There was a standard patient log form that most students hand-wrote into, but then again a lot of students just slacked off and made up enough encounters to fill in the required blanks.

There are apps out there on the market but I didn't look into them. I didn't want to have to run into paying for getting the data back, losing data, other bugs, etc. Let us know if you find anything because I would be interested.

Alternatively you could create a calendar event in your phone for each patient encounter you had (automatically notes the date), then download the data of past events specific to that calendar when you're ready to transfer the information.

What I did was keep the same basic excel sheet and diligently keep track of my day on a piece of folded computer paper. The most important encounters are procedures performed (sutures, Pap smear, etc. - even the little stuff) - you want to make a special area on whatever you create for this so it can be highlighted. Billing and coding are really outside the realm of students, but it would be nice to show initiative in coding ICD-9/10 and DSM-IV-TR/V at least. Always note the date, rotation, physician, MRN or DOB (be consistent), diagnoses, procedures, and a section where you're either performing the encounter or observing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Software? We use a pen and a notepad.

Dang, didn't know there were sophisticated logs. I remember classmates making **** up haha. Hell, I don't even remember logging in patients in med school...except on the last day for some lame useless requirement.

We used pen and paper the first 2 years and e*value in the end. You guys laugh about logs but I will tell you in the locums world they are very important. I applied for an ER fast track job as an FP provider. I had to prove that I had seen enough volume to be considered a "good fit" and could stand on my own since the company hiring is owned by EM docs. I forwarded my ER logs from the past 3 years and got the job. Isn't the first time I have been asked for logs in the work place - especially for hospitalist jobs too. I have submitted my residency logs for jobs as well. Of course if you have a "real" permanent job its not necessary. Just FYI.