What sort of MCAT score is needed to be considered competitive at a DO school

cdistel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Asheville
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I am 28, graduated 2 yrs ago from pharmacy school. I work as a clinical pharmacist consultant for ltc.
graduated from temple pharm school 3.8gpa
undergrad cgpa 3.65
i think sgpa is around 3.5 (for undergrad, bc i think you can not count your grad classes in this number please correct me if i am wrong)

Was wondering what kind of MCAT score is needed to be considered competitive at a DO school with my background and grades? I know the higher the better, but I am working close to 50-60hrs/wk so I dont have a whole lot of time to study. any help is appreciated thanks.

cool quote i wanted to share that applies to most nontrads
""Some people never get to touch their dreams. Never get to know what that feels like. Never find that thing they love or get to do it for a living. Was it a tragedy to have had that taken away from you? No, the tragedy would be to lie awake at night wondering 'what if?'"

Last edited:

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
"The mean total MCAT score of those respondents who were offered admission to an osteopathic medical school was 27.3; higher than the mean total score of 24.7 for those respondents who were not admitted to an osteopathic school. Mean total GPA was 3.50 for those applicants who were offered admission to osteopathic medical schools; slightly lower than the mean GPA (3.56) of respondents who were offered admission to a U.S. allopathic medical school."

The above is from 2009 AACOM data: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/Documents/AppRpt2009.pdf
This is an interesting read for all DO applicants, BTW.

Of course, this is an average across all DO schools. Some schools might have a slightly lower or higher average accepted MCAT.

OP
C

cdistel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Asheville
Status
would my pharm background and gpa come into play at all?? obviously cant hurt but does it give me an edge??

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
You should, as a general rule, shoot for 10 or greater on each section, and a minimum of 30 total score.

Helen Wheels

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
would my pharm background and gpa come into play at all?? obviously cant hurt but does it give me an edge??
I think it does for DO schools. The DO schools really seem to like nontrad applicants and career changers like myself.

OP
C

cdistel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Asheville
Status
i am changing careers bc pharmacy isnt providing enough of a challenge for me. As a consultant, i check charts, make sure the drug therapy is appropriate, make adjustments to meds based on renal function, liver function, etc.., add meds to current therapies, monitor therapies, etc... I can only go so far in terms of adjusting therapies and I want more. I want to be able to learn more and I think I settled to be a pharmacist when I really wanted to be a physician. Hope that answers your question!