What speciality would benefit the most from a PhD in genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marencka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Strongly considering going the MD-PhD route. I have a huge passion and love for genetics and would be thrilled to get my Ph.D. in it. Any ideas on how I could use this Ph.D. in physician work? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty broad. One could imagine if you studied the genetics w/i a certain disease context (that was intellectually stimulating), then that person could pursue a specialty that ties it all together. For example one could study the genetics of a certain neurological disease/disorder and eventually go into neurology.

Lots of options to combine with genetics: OBGYN-maternal fetal medicine, oncology, dermatology, endocrinology, cardiology, neurology, ophthalmology, ENT, psych... I recently met someone who is combining emergency med with genetics (this may be more of a career change than a true combo though, I didn't ask). Probably you can figure out what you are drawn towards during your clinical training and don't have to have it all decided at this point. Basically most areas in medicine you can imagine (and probably some you can't) can be tied into genetics. However, length of training is a consideration for many, so that is also something to keep in mind.

Last edited: