what specialty and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by badassy
Oncology interests me. I think its because most patients are actually motivated to get better. I remember reading a book called " My Year As A Doctor " and an oncologist put it the best way I could imagine. A person asks, Isn't it depressing to be around all these sick and dieing people all the time? The oncologist replies, I'd rather treat someone who is willing to get better and wants to, then a person who forgets to take his high blood pressure pills. I believe its also you actually get to form a bond with your patients and get to know them. You probably see the worst and best in humans.

i wouldn't have said my thought any better. i also want to be an oncologist, because i heard that many docs are depressed from seeing the dying one. my god-mother motivated me to take the challenge and bring lively joy and hope to them. u definitely see the worst and the best of humanity.

Members don't see this ad.

At one of my interviews, someone actually asked our tour-guide how med-students end up choosing specialties... I was surprised to hear him say that students actually gravitate towards the "sub-culture" and "personalities" that traditionally dominate a particular specialty. Strange, but plausible.

I think it's disgusting how much plastic surgeons make...and why the heck do sports med doctors get paid so much. I mean, how hard can that be? I guess it's b/c they get paid by the big dogs?!?! Oh well, that's just me...:) I think I'd like to do Emergency medicine b/c I love all the comotion, variety, etc, etc. Also, everything is so immediate and quick, right to the point. (I am soooo impatient...working on it) I've also heard from a couple of friends who work in the E.R. that everyone seems to get along much better (docs, nurses, etc.) than other depts. creating better morales, etc. In other words, there is very good communication b/t staff which I think, is important.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm interested in women's health, but am weary of ob/gyn due to the difficult lifestyle (i'm a woman and want to raise my kids!) and high malpractice costs.

is there another way i could get involved in women's health? natology? internal medicine (with a women's health concentration) am i making any sense?

help.

Mmmm. Definitely Pediatric Oncology. I want to do bone marrow transplants. The hospital I work at has a GREAT BMT unit--you ought to see these kids come in soooo sick and leave full of life and energy. AMAZING!! And the best lifes lessons I have gotten was from a kid that fought so valiantly, but succumbed in the end. Barring some fundamental shift in my thinking, thats where I want to be. If no that then ER--no call!!!

I'm with mountainlander. I got into a research lab working on bone marrow transplant stuff and started talking with the ped oncology m.d.'s that do clinical work also. They love their jobs so much, despite how hard it can be. They took me with them to meet some patients a few times; it's definitely where I want to be. I'm hoping I get the residency question at interviews so I can talk about these experiences, I'm so excited about it.
:)

Originally posted by saiyagirl
i'm interested in women's health, but am weary of ob/gyn due to the difficult lifestyle (i'm a woman and want to raise my kids!) and high malpractice costs.

is there another way i could get involved in women's health? natology? internal medicine (with a women's health concentration) am i making any sense?

help.
I guess it would depend.And I hear ya on the cb/gyn lifestyle.My friend was an ob/gyn.It seemed as if she was always running here and running there.It seemed absolutely stressful.She no longer has her own practice anymore.She is currently working as a consultant.
"natology"-did you mean neanatology-or am I just confused?.
You could do research as well.Perhaps MD/PhD? There are so many options;it just depends on what YOU want to do.

Another massive bump.

Some of these folks are still on SDN and at least 2 of them I know for a fact didn't do what they said they would 8 years ago. :laugh:

Oncology because I find cancer treatment to be very interesting. You do also feel good when you cure someone of cancer, saw it first hand a cancer hospital. Also chicks dig oncologists ;).

Can I do my residency in Thread Necromancy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's disgusting how much plastic surgeons make...and why the heck do sports med doctors get paid so much. I mean, how hard can that be? I guess it's b/c they get paid by the big dogs?!?! Oh well, that's just me...:) I think I'd like to do Emergency medicine b/c I love all the comotion, variety, etc, etc. Also, everything is so immediate and quick, right to the point. (I am soooo impatient...working on it) I've also heard from a couple of friends who work in the E.R. that everyone seems to get along much better (docs, nurses, etc.) than other depts. creating better morales, etc. In other words, there is very good communication b/t staff which I think, is important.

Most plastic and reconstructive surgeons do not make huge money. Their average income is less than a number of other specialties, including neurosurgery, radiology, radiation oncology, orthopedic surgery, and probably even urology.

I'm drawn towards psychiatry. As cliché as it sounds, I like the idea of helping those who are truly in need.

Pathology, Oncology, Immunology, or Radiology.

Ortho with focus on knee surgery! working six years in a hospital I got to sample a lot of specialties, but non of them got my interest nearly as much as Ortho!

general surgery then fellowship in trauma.... i am extroverted, work well under pressure and don't need much sleep :D

more than anything i am naive and don't really know what kind of medicine i want to do

Can I do my residency in Thread Necromancy?

I quite literally laughed out loud at that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I wanna go into EM. I like the 'jack of all trades, master of none' aspect of it. Although, looking through the posts on the EM thread someone made the point that EM is the master at stabilizing the emergent cases of many other specialties, which sounds pretty awesome to me.

Ultimently, I want to do clinical research in oncology (hence why I'm trying to get into MD/PhD). I've been doing cancer research for the past two years and I adore it.

it's either that or emergency. all my training as an EMT made me really want to get my hands dirty so to speak.

They're kind of polar opposites but who knows what'll happen when I'm actually in med school.

EM...no call...no rounding..

I like weekends, nights and shiftwork

and long walks in the park..:laugh:

I'm thinking EM would be the best fit for me too.... for all the (bolded ;)) reasons. I actually like working nights and weekends, and the ability to do shift work is very appealing. I feel like EM would satisfy the ADHD in me as well... the pace is fast and you're always on your feet.

DW,

Haha....i was thinking the same thing. I agree, you should choose a specialty that appeals to you, but medicine is often such a huge investment (at various levels) that to think "money is a nonfactor" is IMO unrealistic.

Ophto Mudphud, ophthalmology rocks! I work in an ophto clinic and basically do what the residents do...work-up and present patients to the attendings, train rotating med students/residents, attend lectures, etc. Ive learned a truck load about the eye since I started (3 months ago) and I know theres a ton that Ive yet to still see/learn. In conclusion, I know what im applying for when the time comes...:)

DOCTORSAIB

i disagree. money is a non-issue to some of us who dont live an extravagant lifestyle. after you can make payments on a house and have a cheap car, the rest is just extra money.

Ultimently, I want to do clinical research in oncology (hence why I'm trying to get into MD/PhD). I've been doing cancer research for the past two years and I adore it.
You don't have to go the MD/PhD route in order to conduct clinical research. The MD/PhD is designed to put out physician-scientists who want to focus their careers on basic science or translational research, not clinical research.

You would probably be better suited going after an MD/MS in Clinical Investigations or something along those lines (ie. Doris Duke, CRTP at the NIH, etc) if you want to focus on clinical research. Go for the MD/PhD if basic science or translational research is your cup of tea. Just my opinion.

/thread hijack :smuggrin:

I'm far from deciding what specialty I prefer(mainly because I haven't even gone to med school yet) but I am really interested in cardiology and oncology. I know the hours are awful for these specialties but they interest me the most as of right now:)

I always joked the reason I wanted to do MD/PhD was so I could be a doctor, TWICE.

The reality is I want to do cancer research. Essentially, what i want to do is spend some days in a lab looking for novel therapies and then spend other days seeing patients, following said novel therapies through the stages to approvement by FDA etc.
Yes, I could problaby do this with just an MD, which is why I'm also applying to MD only schools (and most of my MD/PhD schools either defer those they reject to MD only pool or require admission into MD first before making any decisions). I spent this usmmer working with a bunch of mudphuds at Colo. Cancer center in denver and it affirmed that they do what I want to do.

Its really the best of both worlds for me. I want to go to medical school and I want to go to graduate school (med > grad for me). :xf: