What specialty fits me?

Started by Mesinan
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mesinan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What specialty fits me?
Ok, I've taken about every medical specialty quiz ever so please don't link me to one.

Here's what I know for sure:
1. Want to able to see my patients again (at least kinda long term), not see them once, make the better and never see them again in my life
2. Don't want to work with infectious disease
3. Do NOT want the majority of patients to be elderly/geriatrics.
4. Want to be able to see patients, so no path or rad

Ask me any questions you please.
 
Last edited:
Pediatrics
OB/GYN
Internal Medicine
Psychiatry
Neurology
Family Medicine

Things not to do:
Pretty much any surgical specialty
Anesthesiology
Radiation & Pathology
Dermatology (You see your patient once for the most part)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What specialty fits me?
Ok, I've taken about every medical specialty quiz ever so please don't link me to one.

Here's what I know for sure:
1. Want to able to see my patients again (at least kinda long term), not see them once, make the better and never see them again in my life
2. Don't want to work with infectious disease
3. Do NOT want the majority of patients to be elderly/geriatrics.

Ask me any questions you please.

Well personally I don't think you should stress about it until you get to medical school..... but I will take a shot at answering your question anyway 🙂

My mom's podiatrist sees many people from all walks of life and since my mom is diabetes she's seen him for problems for years and even went to him for a bunionectomy. But that's not a M.D./D.O. specialty so.... lol

As for an M.D./D.O. specialty, I'd say

Pain Management and Rehabilitation

Hematology/Oncology

Psychiatry

If you didn't cut out infectious diseases, the obvious choice would be Family Medicine. Long-term relationships with their patients that can span several generations of a single family.

Outside of f MD/DO, I vote for dentistry.

My dentist has taken care of my grandparents, her 3 kids, my parents, and myself for over 40 years lol...
 
Things not to do:
Pretty much any surgical specialty
Radiation
Dermatology (You see your patient once for the most part)

The above is inaccurate.

Many surgical specialties see patients long term for chronic problems. For example, in surgical oncology we often follow the patients for five years after diagnosis and surgery. This will be true for any surgical subspecialty that treats oncologic conditions including urology orthopedics and ENT.

If by radiation you mean radiation oncology the same is true: they will follow patient and see them multiple times.

Finally, many dermatologists do have long-term relationships with patients especially those who have skin cancers or other chronic problems.
 
What specialty fits me?
Ok, I've taken about every medical specialty quiz ever so please don't link me to one.

Here's what I know for sure:
1. Want to able to see my patients again (at least kinda long term), not see them once, make the better and never see them again in my life
2. Don't want to work with infectious disease
3. Do NOT want the majority of patients to be elderly/geriatrics.
4. Want to be able to see patients, so no path or rad

Ask me any questions you please.

Does the bolded statement mean you are not interested in treating infectious diseases or are you saying that you do not wish to be exposed to patients with infectious diseases period? In the case of the latter, it somewhat antagonizes your number 1 preference. If you see a patient long term, then chances are he or she is going to have to deal with at least one respiratory, skin, and/or stomach infection at some point. You might consider the (MD/DO)/Ph.D. route so you can have a mixture of laboratory work in whatever area you wish in addition to some clinical work. Working in health care is generally going to increase your risk of being exposed to pathogens, but doing a limited amount of clinical work and being primarily a researcher in an aseptic laboratory will likely decrease your exposure. If you are just uninterested in treating infections then I would avoid OB/GYN and Urology as there is always going to be the occasional STD and the famous UTI. Neurology and Psychiatry maybe, just know that you may be occasionally called upon to aid in the treatment of patients who have neurologic or psychiatric complications from certain infections. Being an Internal Medicine hospitalist may also work as you will be in an aseptic environment where much effort is put into preventing the spread of pathogens.
 
The above is inaccurate.

Many surgical specialties see patients long term for chronic problems. For example, in surgical oncology we often follow the patients for five years after diagnosis and surgery. This will be true for any surgical subspecialty that treats oncologic conditions including urology orthopedics and ENT.

If by radiation you mean radiation oncology the same is true: they will follow patient and see them multiple times.

Finally, many dermatologists do have long-term relationships with patients especially those who have skin cancers or other chronic problems.

I meant radiology. I would argue that it depends on the type of surgery.
 
Things not to do:
Pretty much any surgical specialty
Anesthesiology
Radiation & Pathology
Dermatology (You see your patient once for the most part)

Why not surgery? It's not JUST the OR, you see your patients in the office, often for extended periods of the time. At the same time there are plenty of patients you only see once or twice, it is a great mix in my opinion. But seriously, for now just focus on getting into medical school.

Survivor DO
 
Does the bolded statement mean you are not interested in treating infectious diseases or are you saying that you do not wish to be exposed to patients with infectious diseases period? In the case of the latter, it somewhat antagonizes your number 1 preference. If you see a patient long term, then chances are he or she is going to have to deal with at least one respiratory, skin, and/or stomach infection at some point. You might consider the (MD/DO)/Ph.D. route so you can have a mixture of laboratory work in whatever area you wish in addition to some clinical work. Working in health care is generally going to increase your risk of being exposed to pathogens, but doing a limited amount of clinical work and being primarily a researcher in an aseptic laboratory will likely decrease your exposure. If you are just uninterested in treating infections then I would avoid OB/GYN and Urology as there is always going to be the occasional STD and the famous UTI. Neurology and Psychiatry maybe, just know that you may be occasionally called upon to aid in the treatment of patients who have neurologic or psychiatric complications from certain infections. Being an Internal Medicine hospitalist may also work as you will be in an aseptic environment where much effort is put into preventing the spread of pathogens.
I don't want to treat infectious disease. And I can deal with infections. Ok, I notice this sounds contradictory, but I think y'all understand what I'm saying.

I was have been leaning toward OB/GYN for a while, but everyone has been trying to make me avoid choosing it. Idk what to do anymore, I'm not sure if medicine is right for me... I just don't know.
 
Last edited:
I was have been leaning toward OB/GYN for a while, but everyone has been trying to make me avoid choosing it. Idk what to do anymore, I'm not sure if medicine is right for me... I just don't know.

It does not matter whether you know or not now, take a variety of classes. Who knows you may end up wanting to be a lawyer or an engineer. I bounced around a lot too in my high school years (which are ending in 31 days), I took everything from government to advanced literature and economics to chemistry; however, I decided on medicine a week before I started filling out undergraduate admission applications. The world has a funny way of molding our goals and beliefs with the experiences we go through. When you find what you want, break it into steps and take it one at a time. Do not jump into your bachelor's program with a stethoscope, scrubs, scalpel, and custom license plate. For medicine, and most other professional careers, the first step is undergrad so focus in on step 1.
 
I don't want to treat infectious disease. And I can deal with infections. Ok, I notice this sounds contradictory, but I think y'all understand what I'm saying.

I was have been leaning toward OB/GYN for a while, but everyone has been trying to make me avoid choosing it. Idk what to do anymore, I'm not sure if medicine is right for me... I just don't know.

Also, don't worry about what everyone wants of you. Do what you want. My parents want me to be a computer programmer. That's not happening. At least they respect my choice to go into medicine though. I digress. If you enjoy the idea of OB/GYN, go for it. People will tell you to focus on the present, and that's true. But don't take that the wrong way. You can absolutely have dreams, goals, and aspirations. You can even have a specialty all decided on. Just as long as you go about life having an open mind and understand that things may not work out and your plans may change.
 
I meant radiology. I would argue that it depends on the type of surgery.

I agree with the others, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal until you're in medical school. For me, I've read up on plastics so much that I love it to death. But someone else in my same situation may have fallen for cardiology or something. It should be based off of what you enjoy the most, not what "fits."

But, considering what you have posted, I would say the first reply by nysegpop was the best. It is going to be hard not to deal with infectious diseases though. I would say you're always going to come across at least a couple in any specialty. That is an unfortunate part of biology. But, yeah, stay away from surgery with the patient aspect.

Interestingly, you've got an attending surgeon (me) and a surgical resident (survivorDO) telling you that your assumptions about surgery are inaccurate, but yet you persist.

While there are surgical specialities that lend themselves more easily to long term relationships, even acute care surgeons have some long term patients and repeat customers.
 
Interestingly, you've got an attending surgeon (me) and a surgical resident (survivorDO) telling you that your assumptions about surgery are inaccurate, but yet you persist.

I don't think i've seen anyone go against what you post, Dr. Cox.

This. 😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What I mean is that surgeons do not hover. You get in and you get out. You do what needs to be done. Once its done, there is not much more you can do. It goes on to other specialists and it starts the chain over again.

I may be wrong here (correct me if I am), but the surgeon does not spend a lengthy amount of time working with the patient. You have the referral, the consult (or maybe a few), surgery, and then a few follow-ups. These are spread out as well.

In contrast, an oncologist sees their patients all the time. OB/GYN sees their patients all the time. The list goes on. I guess what I am really trying to get at (which I should have made this clear from the beginning, my apologies) is that COMPARED TO OTHER SPECIALTIES, surgeons don't deal with their patients long-term. They have repeat business, yes, but it is not as much as many of the other specialities. Obviously, the OP put a great deal of emphasis on patient contact and hands-on approach (good for him). Personally, I think that means that he would be happiest in a field that had a lot more long-term patient care than what surgery can offer. But I could be wrong.


That may be the case for some surgeons, but you are neglecting the fact that surgical oncologists see their patients quite frequently, for several years.

As a matter of fact, for patients not on chemotherapy, I see them MORE than the medical or radiation oncologist, as I am the one ordering the follow-up imaging, labs, doing the genetic counseling, physical exams for recurrence, etc. I also have patients who didn't need adjuvant treatment and I am the only one they are seeing every few months for their cancer surveillance. This is how many surgical specialties that deal with malignancies practice.

Patients will actually complain that I am the only doctor they see, as even when they are actively on adjuvant treatment, they only see the medical or radiation oncologist every 3rd or 4th visit. In follow-up, they may not see the oncologist at every visit either.

There are great misconceptions about surgical practices and what can be done.
 
So as a surgeon, you see your patients again more than say, pediatrics, internal medicine, and geriatrics?
 
So as a surgeon, you see your patients again more than say, pediatrics, internal medicine, and geriatrics?

You're being ridiculous. I never said or implied that (however since most people only see their internist once a year, I can say "yes" I do see my patients more than that)..

I fail to understand why you are attempting to tell me that you know more about surgical practice than I do. Such behavior makes it much less likely that I and other attendings will respond to topics in this forum.

You and other posters claimed that anyone who wanted to see patients shouldn't be a surgeon. I'm only here to tell you that is inaccurate and not reflective of all surgeons and surgical practice.
 
You're being ridiculous. I never said or implied that (however since most people only see their internist once a year, I can say "yes" I do see my patients more than that)..

I fail to understand why you are attempting to tell me that you know more about surgical practice than I do. Such behavior makes it much less likely that I and other attendings will respond to topics in this forum.

You and other posters claimed that anyone who wanted to see patients shouldn't be a surgeon. I'm only here to tell you that is inaccurate and not reflective of all surgeons and surgical practice.

I've seen the same pediatrician all my life. A friend of mine had back surgery, she saw the surgeon a few times before the surgery, and a couple of times after the surgery. That was it. There was no more communication, no more visits. As a patient, I am familiar with this issue. Some surgeons do see patients multiple times (ex. neuro). Some don't (ex. trauma). EM doctors rarely see patients again. We had a major laceration once. We just cleaned the wound, stitched it up, and told her to schedule a visit with her primary care doctor to see how the would was healing up. We had another guy that had a seizure. We prescribed Diazepam, got an X-ray, found a tumor, sent him to neurosurgery. That was the end of that.


Edit: I mean't to say MRI, not X-Ray.
 
Last edited:
So what I am gathering from all of this is that surgery can go either way. Some surgical specialties potentially see their patients more than some non-surgical specialties. It also depends on what the patients issue is. A podiatry patient may see his doctor more than an oncology patient, despite the fact that an oncologist normally sees his patient more.

Does that sound accurate to all of you?

If so, I would still say that surgery is probably going to be lower on the OP's list of preferred specialties. It still sounds like a mixed bag to me. I believe that certain specialties may be more social, but I would say you still get more patient-interaction from non-surgical specialties.

Regardless, the OP had other criteria he wanted to meet. Surgery is still a big option for him. He has the potential to enter a surgical field and still interact with patients. Surgery seems to fit the other criteria too.

In short, he is right back to where he started.

Sounds accurate.
 
I've seen the same pediatrician all my life. A friend of mine had back surgery, she saw the surgeon a few times before the surgery, and a couple of times after the surgery. That was it. There was no more communication, no more visits. As a patient, I am familiar with this issue. Some surgeons do see patients multiple times (ex. neuro). Some don't (ex. trauma). EM doctors rarely see patients again. We had a major laceration once. We just cleaned the wound, stitched it up, and told her to schedule a visit with her primary care doctor to see how the would was healing up. We had another guy that had a seizure. We prescribed Diazepam, got an X-ray, found a tumor, sent him to neurosurgery. That was the end of that.

I like the "we."

Just for the record, you do realize that WS and survivorDO are many, many years ahead of you and thus know more about all of this than you do, right?
 
I've seen the same pediatrician all my life. A friend of mine had back surgery, she saw the surgeon a few times before the surgery, and a couple of times after the surgery. That was it. There was no more communication, no more visits. As a patient, I am familiar with this issue. Some surgeons do see patients multiple times (ex. neuro). Some don't (ex. trauma). EM doctors rarely see patients again. We had a major laceration once. We just cleaned the wound, stitched it up, and told her to schedule a visit with her primary care doctor to see how the would was healing up. We had another guy that had a seizure. We prescribed Diazepam, got an X-ray, found a tumor, sent him to neurosurgery. That was the end of that.

For the record EM isn't a surgical specialty anymore. As far as your point, your scope of knowledge about pediatrics is limited. You were seeing an office based pediatrician who, yes, follows there patient year after year. Once upon a time, everyone had a GP who did the same thing and now people with medical problems may continue to see a doctor regularly for a medical issue. However, if it is a surgical issue, patients can very well follow with a surgical problem just as regularly as a patient with a medical problem. Office pediatrics is a realm that no long translates to adult medicine. Nor is office pediatrics the only form of pediatrics. A hospital pediatrician working the floor can very easily see dozens of patients admitted for treatment and then discharge them with minimal follow up with themselves.

Also, found a brain tumor on an x-ray? Do you mean CT/MRI? "We" was wrong if an x-ray was chosen as the first line diagnostic image for a seizure, unless it was to rule out a skull fracture from the convulsions...
 
For the record EM isn't a surgical specialty anymore. As far as your point, your scope of knowledge about pediatrics is limited. You were seeing an office based pediatrician who, yes, follows there patient year after year. Once upon a time, everyone had a GP who did the same thing and now people with medical problems may continue to see a doctor regularly for a medical issue. However, if it is a surgical issue, patients can very well follow with a surgical problem just as regularly as a patient with a medical problem. Office pediatrics is a realm that no long translates to adult medicine. Nor is office pediatrics the only form of pediatrics. A hospital pediatrician working the floor can very easily see dozens of patients admitted for treatment and then discharge them with minimal follow up with themselves.

Also, found a brain tumor on an x-ray? Do you mean CT/MRI? "We" was wrong if an x-ray was chosen as the first line diagnostic image for a seizure, unless it was to rule out a skull fracture from the convulsions...

I mean MRI.

Most pediatric patients is close enough for me. Did I say EM is a surgical specialty? No.
 
I like the "we."

Just for the record, you do realize that WS and survivorDO are many, many years ahead of you and thus know more about all of this than you do, right?

Not necessarily. I am a patient. Pretty much everyone in my family is a doctor or scientist. More education doesn't always make people more knowledgeable about a particular subject than others. Would they be better at diagnosing patients? Absolutely. Do they know more medical knowledge? Hell yes. Do they know everything about the lifestyle of every specialty? Absolutely not. Neither do I. To pretend that they know more about this subject is ignorant.

IN GENERAL it can be said that surgeons tend to see the same patients less frequently (depending on subspecialty) than primary care physicians (also depending on specialty). Therefore, I think that it's best for someone who absolutely wants to see the same patients on a regular basis to highly consider a primary care field.
 
Not necessarily. I am a patient. Pretty much everyone in my family is a doctor or scientist. More education doesn't always make people more knowledgeable about a particular subject than others. Would they be better at diagnosing patients? Absolutely. Do they know more medical knowledge? Hell yes. Do they know everything about the lifestyle of every specialty? Absolutely not. Neither do I. To pretend that they know more about this subject is ignorant.

You *do* realize that I am a surgeon don't you?

Therefore, it is not ignorant to assume I know more about the lifestyle and practice of surgeons. I'm not sure why you persist on arguing this with me.

I also think its fair to assume that I might know a little more about the lifestyle of related specialties since, as a former medical student and resident, I've actually rotated on those services. Do I know intimate details? No, only in the case of specialties where I have close friends practicing. But I never claimed I knew more about EM or Peds or IM. You seem intent on claiming that you know more about surgical practices than I do. I'm not sure why.


IN GENERAL it can be said that surgeons tend to see the same patients less frequently (depending on subspecialty) than primary care physicians (also depending on specialty). Therefore, I think that it's best for someone who absolutely wants to see the same patients on a regular basis to highly consider a primary care field.

But you didn't say "in general" previously; only now are you backtracking. That statement I do agree with. However, there are plenty of surgical practices where you can see the same patients on a regular basis. Even Trauma surgeons see their patients more than once (when in the SICU).

I apologize for the "tone" I've been taking especially for others reading this. But honestly your temerity is galling to me.
 
Last edited:
Not necessarily. I am a patient. Pretty much everyone in my family is a doctor or scientist. More education doesn't always make people more knowledgeable about a particular subject than others. Would they be better at diagnosing patients? Absolutely. Do they know more medical knowledge? Hell yes. Do they know everything about the lifestyle of every specialty? Absolutely not. Neither do I. To pretend that they know more about this subject is ignorant.

IN GENERAL it can be said that surgeons tend to see the same patients less frequently (depending on subspecialty) than primary care physicians (also depending on specialty). Therefore, I think that it's best for someone who absolutely wants to see the same patients on a regular basis to highly consider a primary care field.

Based on your statements on this topic thus far, I feel fairly confident in assuming so ignorance free. Nooone is saying that just on title alone that we know more. It is the practice of those titles that we are saying justifies that assumption. Being on the wards, participating in the practice of medicine in each specialty as a student/resident/fellow/attending is a very different experience than talking to your relatives at home or shadowing them in controlled experiences. It certainly doesn't give you a perception of resident lifestyle at the very least. Questioning and challenging every point and topic is very Socratic of you, but remember Socrates was killed. 😀

And yes, when we are talking about surgeons and you start using EM as an example for that discussion directly after an assertion about surgeons you are implying that you think EM docs are surgeons.
 
I don't think i've seen anyone go against what you post, Dr. Cox.

This. 😱

👍

Thanks for all the responses so far, they have been really helpful, but Nysegop, please stop arguing. Winged Scapula lives this lifestyle so she most likely knows more than you.

Regardless, the OP had other criteria he wanted to meet. Surgery is still a big option for him. He has the potential to enter a surgical field and still interact with patients. Surgery seems to fit the other criteria too.

In short, he is right back to where he started.

*She
 
You *do* realize that I am a surgeon don't you?

Therefore, it is not ignorant to assume I know more about the lifestyle and practice of surgeons. I'm not sure why you persist on arguing this with me.

I also think its fair to assume that I might know a little more about the lifestyle of related specialties since, as a former medical student and resident, I've actually rotated on those services. Do I know intimate details? No, only in the case of specialties where I have close friends practicing. But I never claimed I knew more about EM or Peds or IM. You seem intent on claiming that you know more about surgical practices than I do. I'm not sure why.




But you didn't say "in general" previously; only now are you backtracking. That statement I do agree with. However, there are plenty of surgical practices where you can see the same patients on a regular basis. Even Trauma surgeons see their patients more than once (when in the SICU).

I apologize for the "tone" I've been taking especially for others reading this. But honestly your temerity is galling to me.

I *do* realize that you're a surgeon. But honestly, I wouldn't care if you were the president. I would still weigh your argument equally.

Now, I think this digression can no longer be productive. So here's the note I will close on:

OP - Surgery is an option, but given your preferences, you might want to consider a primary care specialty. That being said, for the time being focus on school, and make mistakes while you still can (mistakes that won't hurt you in the long run). Fail early and often to quote an old teacher. Push yourself, it will pay off in the long run.
 
Ok. Question.
Do radiation oncologist work with children with cancer as well as adults or do you need to be pediatric radiation oncologist in order to work with peds?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok. Question.
Do radiation oncologist work with child with cancer as well as adults or do you need to be pediatric radiation oncologist in order to work with peds?
In the vast majority of cases, including large cancer centers, pediatric oncology cases are often handled at the local children's hospital and referred to the (primarily adult) oncology center for radiation therapy.
 
In the vast majority of cases, including large cancer centers, pediatric oncology cases are often handled at the local children's hospital and referred to the (primarily adult) oncology center for radiation therapy.

👍
 
Questioning and challenging every point and topic is very Socratic of you, but remember Socrates was killed. 😀.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Socrates was given the option of either drinking poisoned hemlock tea or leaving Athens forever; he chose the former and took his own life, which is suicide. Now if he had multiple personality disorder (or dissociative identity disorder) and another "person" performed that action, then you may be able to call it a killing; however, I am not sure how we could validate or debunk that diagnosis.

Away from the digression, I have read a few biographies of general practice pediatricians (granted a few are from the 80s) and most of them mention treating children with cancer as a part of their residency.
 
Correct me if I am wrong, but Socrates was given the option of either drinking poisoned hemlock tea or leaving Athens forever; he chose the former and took his own life, which is suicide. Now if he had multiple personality disorder (or dissociative identity disorder) and another "person" performed that action, then you may be able to call it a killing; however, I am not sure how we could validate or debunk that diagnosis.

Away from the digression, I have read a few biographies of general practice pediatricians (granted a few are from the 80s) and most of them mention treating children with cancer as a part of their residency.

Yes it was written down as coerced suicide I am aware, though technically exile would have been just a slower coerced suicide considering his age. It was a joke.
 
Yes it was written down as coerced suicide I am aware, though technically exile would have been just a slower coerced suicide considering his age. It was a joke.

Yes, that sounds somewhat familiar. I have mostly been reading Plato and Hippocrates so I have likely forgotten a bit, of course Plato mentions Socrates here and there though. Thanks for the trivia.
 
You *do* realize that I am a surgeon don't you?

Therefore, it is not ignorant to assume I know more about the lifestyle and practice of surgeons. I'm not sure why you persist on arguing this with me.

I also think its fair to assume that I might know a little more about the lifestyle of related specialties since, as a former medical student and resident, I've actually rotated on those services. Do I know intimate details? No, only in the case of specialties where I have close friends practicing. But I never claimed I knew more about EM or Peds or IM. You seem intent on claiming that you know more about surgical practices than I do. I'm not sure why.




But you didn't say "in general" previously; only now are you backtracking. That statement I do agree with. However, there are plenty of surgical practices where you can see the same patients on a regular basis. Even Trauma surgeons see their patients more than once (when in the SICU).

I apologize for the "tone" I've been taking especially for others reading this. But honestly your temerity is galling to me.

Coming out of hibernation to back you up, Dr. Cox.

For what it's worth, as a soon-to-be EM physician, we get plenty of return offenders ourselves. It's hard to avoid them. Though I'd argue that in the ED, the return patients are not the ones you actually want back...(think chronic pain patients who come back for their dilaudid). And also, plenty of infectious diseases.

OP, I'm actually not sure what you mean by being ok with infectious diseases but not wanting to treat them. That's kind of what we do- if it's there, we're expected to deal with it. I'm not a huge fan of ID either and hate spending twenty minutes debating the merits of different kinds of antibiotics and what bugs they cover, but there are ways to get around that no matter what specialty you're doing (unless you're internal medicine, in which case that's part of your job to some extent). Eventually you become pretty good at recognizing patterns and knowing which antibiotics to use in which circumstances without too much drama- and if it gets more complicated, you can always call ID for help. OB/Gyn has its share of ID (plenty of STD's and vaginal discharge nastiness to deal with) so you can't avoid it there either.
Also, for all of you surgery haters, technically speaking Ob/gyn is a surgical specialty. They are surgically trained. Many gynecologists further specialize in surgical oncology and do essentially what Dr Cox does but lower down (same amount of follow up, same amount of clinic), many gynecologists do urogynecology and work on bladder issues/incontinence and such and arguably have a lot less follow-up than surgical oncologists like Dr. Cox do. If you do obstetrics, and you have your own private practice OB patients, you obviously see your patient a good amount during the pregnancy- infrequently at first, then frequently toward the end of the pregnancy, then you deliver, then maybe you see her once after the delivery, and then your job is technically done. You're not always the gynecologist your patient keeps later on for all well-woman checks, and depending on how busy your practice is, you may not have time to do full-time ob AND benign gynecology (nor may your malpractice premiums handle that well). On the other hand, the OR has a lot less infectious disease risk than clinic, especially when it comes to ob/gyn.

So what I'm saying is, no specialty in medicine is perfect, and you won't realize what fits until you're elbow-deep in it and can really see yourself in the middle of it. You may discover that dentistry or psychology is for you after all. You just never know.
 
Coming out of hibernation to back you up, Dr. Cox.

For what it's worth, as a soon-to-be EM physician, we get plenty of return offenders ourselves. It's hard to avoid them. Though I'd argue that in the ED, the return patients are not the ones you actually want back...(think chronic pain patients who come back for their dilaudid). And also, plenty of infectious diseases.

OP, I'm actually not sure what you mean by being ok with infectious diseases but not wanting to treat them. That's kind of what we do- if it's there, we're expected to deal with it. I'm not a huge fan of ID either and hate spending twenty minutes debating the merits of different kinds of antibiotics and what bugs they cover, but there are ways to get around that no matter what specialty you're doing (unless you're internal medicine, in which case that's part of your job to some extent). Eventually you become pretty good at recognizing patterns and knowing which antibiotics to use in which circumstances without too much drama- and if it gets more complicated, you can always call ID for help. OB/Gyn has its share of ID (plenty of STD's and vaginal discharge nastiness to deal with) so you can't avoid it there either.
Also, for all of you surgery haters, technically speaking Ob/gyn is a surgical specialty. They are surgically trained. Many gynecologists further specialize in surgical oncology and do essentially what Dr Cox does but lower down (same amount of follow up, same amount of clinic), many gynecologists do urogynecology and work on bladder issues/incontinence and such and arguably have a lot less follow-up than surgical oncologists like Dr. Cox do. If you do obstetrics, and you have your own private practice OB patients, you obviously see your patient a good amount during the pregnancy- infrequently at first, then frequently toward the end of the pregnancy, then you deliver, then maybe you see her once after the delivery, and then your job is technically done. You're not always the gynecologist your patient keeps later on for all well-woman checks, and depending on how busy your practice is, you may not have time to do full-time ob AND benign gynecology (nor may your malpractice premiums handle that well). On the other hand, the OR has a lot less infectious disease risk than clinic, especially when it comes to ob/gyn.

So what I'm saying is, no specialty in medicine is perfect, and you won't realize what fits until you're elbow-deep in it and can really see yourself in the middle of it. You may discover that dentistry or psychology is for you after all. You just never know.
Thanks for that.