What specialty...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigantron

Robot
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what medical specialty uses the least amount of chemistry. Now, I have said before that I wanted to be an Anesthesiologist and I'm aware that chemistry is a BIG BIG part in making sure you don't, oh say, poison your unconscious patient during surgery. But I want to know what specialties use the least amount of chemistry when you are practicing?

Other than Anesthesiology, I'm starting to get interested in Emergency Medicine as well.

What do you guys have to say about it?

P.S. I do pretty well in Chemistry, so don't get the wrong idea that I'm just trying to find an "easy way out", but I'm not exactly a big fan of it either.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend doing some shadowing as a pre-med to kinda get an idea of what you may be interested in. But go into your 3rd year rotations with an open mind. Its difficult to really get a feel for a specialty in a few weeks.

I'm a bit confused with your question. Doctors don't really spend much time doing gen chem. Acid/Base problems will likely come up no matter what field you choose, however its not like your going to sit down and use the H-H equation.

Do a little shadowing and I think you'll realize that your question is actually quite silly.

Yeah, there is no chemistry involved in either of those fields. This question makes no sense, I think you need to get some clinical exposure before stating you want to go into x field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same as above. The question doesn't make much sense from a medicine perspective.

I hear atoms don't exist in the field of Geriatric Gastroenterology and chemical reactions don't occur in Hepatopathology, so maybe look into those. Whatever you do, stay away from Neurovirology--they tend to spend all day balancing equations.

I hear atoms don't exist in the field of Geriatric Gastroenterology and chemical reactions don't occur in Hepatopathology, so maybe look into those. Whatever you do, stay away from Neurovirology--they tend to spend all day balancing equations.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: