What? Starting rotations without Step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jokerabc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some small, newer Carib schools that let you start 3rd year rotations without a passing Step 1 score (in case you fail). Aureus allows this.

Is doing rotations in this way legit? I have never heard of this. Are these rotations okay for residency approval? (assuming the program director doesn't look down on somebody starting rotations before Step 1, as there are always lower tier programs). Also assuming this is before the "residency crunch" that is the talk of the town right now.

Members don't see this ad.

To go to residency, you just need to pass Steps 1 and 2 before you start. It doesn't matter when you take them.

For example, there are some FMG's that finish their med school in India or Pakistan and don't take Step 1 and Step 2 until a year or even years after they finish med school in their respective country and then apply for residency in the US.

That being said, is it shady for a Carib school to let you start 3rd year rotations before you pass Step 1.....well of course it is.

I would be wary of any med school that allowed students to start rotations without a passing Step 1 score. The Step 1 is the metric used to gauge a student's mastery of the basic sciences, which are the foundation for clinical practice. How can a student perform well during rotations if s/he has not mastered the basics?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some small, newer Carib schools that let you start 3rd year rotations without a passing Step 1 score (in case you fail). Aureus allows this.

Is doing rotations in this way legit? I have never heard of this. Are these rotations okay for residency approval? (assuming the program director doesn't look down on somebody starting rotations before Step 1, as there are always lower tier programs). Also assuming this is before the "residency crunch" that is the talk of the town right now.

In the U.S. everyone starts 3rd year without a score (well almost everyone). You just get pulled off rotations if you fail step 1.

At Ross some students can start rotations after sitting for Step 1 without having the score yet. But there is a GPA requirement to qualify for those rotations. Basically the school has to be pretty sure you're going to pass if they are going to let you start rotations without a step score.

In the U.S. everyone starts 3rd year without a score (well almost everyone). You just get pulled off rotations if you fail step 1.

At Aureus you don't get pulled if you fail Step 1 and you can continue. There is no GPA requirement either for starting rotations.

At Aureus you don't get pulled if you fail Step 1 and you can continue. There is no GPA requirement either for starting rotations.

And this is why you should not go with Aureus if you decide to apply to the Caribbean.

I would be wary of any med school that allowed students to start rotations without a passing Step 1 score. The Step 1 is the metric used to gauge a student's mastery of the basic sciences, which are the foundation for clinical practice. How can a student perform well during rotations if s/he has not mastered the basics?

there are a handful of US MD schools that have you take step 1 after doing a year of clinical rotations. i think columbia is one of the most notable so this itself is not worrisome. it is in this case because chances are these students have not mastered the preclinical material.

there are a handful of US MD schools that have you take step 1 after doing a year of clinical rotations. i think columbia is one of the most notable so this itself is not worrisome. it is in this case because chances are these students have not mastered the preclinical material.

Actually, that's kind of my point. For the US schools, its okay. They all follow US standards and guidelines, and have LCME accreditation. For the Caribbean, its different. Their guidelines and accreditation differ among each other, as well as the US schools. In my opinion, the more reputable Caribbean schools will require their students to pass Step 1 prior to starting clinical rotations. That shows that the schools want to ensure their students have mastered the basic sciences. So I would consider any Caribbean school that does not require a passing score on Step 1 prior to starting rotations to be extremely suspect.