What state/region is the most advantageous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bnmakr1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to medical schools soon and I was wondering what state/region would increase my acceptance chances the most?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you mean being a resident of which state would help you the most...Texas, NY, FL, and PA all have a lot of medical schools. Being from the area might help.

I think the state with highest medical school seat per capita is probably West Virginia or Missouri

Members don't see this ad :)
Are these for D.O. schools or for all medical schools in the state? I plan on applying to osteopathic schools.

Are these for D.O. schools or for all medical schools in the state? I plan on applying to osteopathic schools.

There are a handful of state schools that are Osteopathic programs: MSU, OSU, OU, UNTHSC. (I think that's it)

There are a handful of schools with significant regional bias: LMU, PNWU, Western-Lebanon, WVSOM, UNECOM, and perhaps PCOM. (those are the ones I can think of, there may be others that I'm forgetting.)

The rest are regular private schools with no regional or state bias: the AT Still campuses, Western Pomona, the Midwesterns, the Lake Eerie's, NYCOM, the Touro's, KCUMB, DMU, and a handful of others.

You've got plenty of options regardless of where you do or do not live.

There are a handful of state schools that are Osteopathic programs: MSU, OSU, OU, UNTHSC. (I think that's it)

There are a handful of schools with significant regional bias: LMU, PNWU, Western-Lebanon, WVSOM, UNECOM, and perhaps PCOM. (those are the ones I can think of, there may be others that I'm forgetting.)

The rest are regular private schools with no regional or state bias: the AT Still campuses, Western Pomona, the Midwesterns, the Lake Eerie's, NYCOM, the Touro's, KCUMB, DMU, and a handful of others.

Don't forget PCSOM. I have also heard (read: hearsay) that WVSOM does take a significant # off OOS students, despite the sky-high OOS tuition.

Most DO schools are private and thus don't have a significant regional bias. However if you want to go to a region where you have the highest regional bias then go to Texas. 1 DO school + 6? MD schools which accept on average 95%< Texas residents.

I'm clearly a New Yorker and damn proud, so grain of salt.

But NY and FL are both amazing places to practice medicine and pretty good for DOs. FL has more osteopathic residencies and massive amounts of places to train in either AOA or ACGME hospitals. They are one of "the four" states that have training hoops you need to jump through first, though.

NY actually does *not* have that many osteopathic residencies (some, but not tons), but it is the Mecca of medical training in general because of the loads (12) allopathic schools in-state. And Jersey has some really good osteopathic residencies.

I'd say CA, but I hear it gets a little complicated for DOs who train in Cali because the state is competitive to the point of being unrealistic for a decent percent of students to stay there.

UMDNJ-SOM: state school

I want to say that being anywhere in NJ, PA or NY area would be pretty advantageous. I am from Jersey coast, about an hour and 15 from NY city and an hour and 15 from Philly. There are so many options for med school it makes me sick. For DO you have touro, nycom, pcom, umdnjsom and then at a stretch you have erie.

It is your state in which you reside. Having said that a lot of states have enacted programs that will ensure them a guarantee into a state medical school.

I want to say that being anywhere in NJ, PA or NY area would be pretty advantageous. I am from Jersey coast, about an hour and 15 from NY city and an hour and 15 from Philly. There are so many options for med school it makes me sick. For DO you have touro, nycom, pcom, umdnjsom and then at a stretch you have erie.

Beat me to the punch, for UMDNJ I heard they prefer more instate students because they want their future physicians working in NJ. Touro-NY is trying to promote their students to work in Upper Manhattan and help the people of Harlem. This is one of their goals and I'm not sure if they still do this but they usually go to a elementary school and guide the younger crowd (pretty cool if you ask me). PA is right there too, don't know too much about what they look for. NJ is the best what can I say :)

Do not forget this one.
UMDNJ-SOM 2014 OMS-I

Members don't see this ad :)
Mississippi has an instate only med school, Ohio is relatively good, as is Texas and the worst states are NY with only SUNY Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate and Stony Brook for public institutions and California, it's not a question of schools, it's one of population and applicants for seats. MA has a large number of medical schools, but most are highly competitive i.e. HMS, Tufts; so that's something you have to factor into the equation as well.

Mississippi has an instate only med school, Ohio is relatively good, as is Texas and the worst states are NY with only SUNY Buffalo, Upstate, Downstate and Stony Brook for public institutions and California, it's not a question of schools, it's one of population and applicants for seats. MA has a large number of medical schools, but most are highly competitive i.e. HMS, Tufts; so that's something you have to factor into the equation as well.
I agree 100%. so who do you guys think has the lowest applicant per seat ratio? you think TX? I know they have 8 med schools but they are a pretty populated state. I know NJ is def. way down on the list. As is Cali.

I agree 100%. so who do you guys think has the lowest applicant per seat ratio? you think TX? I know they have 8 med schools but they are a pretty populated state. I know NJ is def. way down on the list. As is Cali.

Well I know that CA is a major source of DO student applicants because there is massively more CA applicants than seats in the state. So I'd imagine they have to be the lowest because they are pretty well recognized as the big DO applicant exporter.

It is your state in which you reside. Having said that a lot of states have enacted programs that will ensure them a guarantee into a state medical school.

What programs are you talking about? I have never heard of this type of program..

ohio.

OUCOM has in-state preference AND discourages OOS from applying with their 5 year rule. Plus Ohio has a bunch of other state schools that give at least partial preference to in state residents.

While CA, TX, and NY have a lot of state schools, the number of applicants from those states are very high so competition can be tough.

I would assume you'd have a bigger chance of getting into the schools in the state you're a resident in.

I love how I live in Chicago and it's the third highest populated city but none of the schools except 1 will give me preference...not fair...I can complain all I want but the 7 private schools can careless...only University of IL-Chicago will show some favoritism but it's extremely hard to go there.

Purely for DO schools and assuming you can get residency anywhere you want in the next year? I would say 1. Texas - I hear TCOM is a great school and very hard to get into OOS. 2. Ohio - same reasons 3. Michigan - MSU is a great school and the cost is very prohibitive OOS.

What schools show preference for MIDWEST meaning IL, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa residents? I don't know if such a school exists but it annoys me that Texas loves in-state, FL loves in-state residents, California loves in-state, NY loves in-state and IL is open for everyone to come...just great:/

Even some schools I saw favor regions such as Appalachian or South

I'm clearly a New Yorker and damn proud, so grain of salt.

But NY and FL are both amazing places to practice medicine and pretty good for DOs. FL has more osteopathic residencies and massive amounts of places to train in either AOA or ACGME hospitals. They are one of "the four" states that have training hoops you need to jump through first, though.

NY actually does *not* have that many osteopathic residencies (some, but not tons), but it is the Mecca of medical training in general because of the loads (12) allopathic schools in-state. And Jersey has some really good osteopathic residencies.

I'd say CA, but I hear it gets a little complicated for DOs who train in Cali because the state is competitive to the point of being unrealistic for a decent percent of students to stay there.

doesn't nycom have the most post-grad residencies out of any DO school, thus making ny a a big city for osteo residencies? (i haven't gone through the exact numbers though)

also when adding in new touro-ny residencies opening up in the present time and the future, this number should be expected to grow and maybe out rival other states like michigan and ohio.

I'll be applying to medical schools soon and I was wondering what state/region would increase my acceptance chances the most?

If you're out of state, I'd stay away from applying to many of the public DO schools or ones with significant regional bias. Save your money and apply to other places. Unless you're from their respective states, TCOM and OUCOM are almost out of the question, although MSU-COM has been very friendly to OOS in recent years. Most accepted OOS-ers get the scholarship which reduces the tuition to a more manageable level.