What Step 1 Threshold --> delay Step 2 for post interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabdolce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll be applying into PRS this upcoming cycle, and after some scouring on the boards search, I didn't quite come across anything particularly timely.

Should I take Step II before interview season or delay with not much change to the following other than maybe one or two more pubs? I scoured the charting outcomes from 2014 and I seem to be right on the bubble on the 75% range, and wasn't sure what kind of distribution of top academic institutions that was made up of. I am hoping to continue research as a heavy component during residency and practice and was looking for any advice specifically in regards to chances in academic focused institutions.

Step 1: 254
Surgery, Internal, and Family honors; rest high pass @ top 10 US Allopathic
~12 pubs (7 specifically in PRS), 5 abstracts/presentations
2 LOR ready to go from productive PRS faculty (one is chief of department), 1 LOR from general surgery

Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My stats were basically identical to yours.
I took step II after interviews.
Nobody asked or cared.
I matched at my #1.
This is an anecdote.

One thing I would do though is trash that gen surg letter and get a letter from a reputable plastic surgeon, unless that general surgeon is chairman of a well-known department, etc (even then I think a moderately well-known plastic surgeon would be better). I found that praise from faculty who are known to your interviewer were a large part, if not the biggest focus, of the interview process.

I agree with the first responder. I would dedicate my time towards obtaining solid letters from reputable plastic surgeons and doing really well on your away rotations. Your step 1 score and pubs are good enough to get an interview at any program in the country.

Letters and the interview day are what differentiate the elite applicants each year. If you do well on an away rotation at one of your top choices, you can substantially improve your rank at that program.