What step 2 CK score is necessary for matching post-interview for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baconboy1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already applied and got my interviews out of the way for IM residency, but now I'm studying for step 2 and feeling very unmotivated. I'm wondering what minimum score I'll need to still be able to match at my top choice programs -- if I get a 50th percentile CK score, will that take me out of the running for those top-tier IM residencies that have high 240s step 1 averages, or is the rank list already done and I just need to get a passing grade?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same position with a decent Step 1 score without motivation to take Step 2. It hurt me when I did not have a score at the competitive places you're likely referring to. Yes, the pandemic...but this is Step 2 CK, not CS and the centers are operational. Now, what I don't know is if a poor/average score (230-240 keeping in mind 210 is passing) will hurt you. Best to ask a PD because applicants have only been in one situation or the other and obviously can't compare outcomes.

My inclination is that if you have a great Step 1 and are really stinking up your CK practice tests (I'm talking below 230) then I would consider holding off. If you think you can scrape by with at least an average score within margin or error, I would go for it. Also, I'm sure you know this given the timing of your question but in case you didn't look into the logistics already...Prometric shuts down in late December for the holiday season and reopens in mid-January. Specifically at my "go-to" site (not applicable to all places) their last day is December 21st and they reopen January 19th. Unless you've studied for a while already, I would not recommend December 21st so then January 19th is the earliest to take it. February 26th is the ROL deadline this year. In my experience with getting results back, you'd probably make it by a week not accounting for delays. If I were you OP, I'd make a decision within the week and lock in a mid-January test date if needed. Also if you decide to take it I would send the programs you're interested in an update saying 1) any pertinent updates you didn't feel were worth sharing before 2) BTW my CK is coming, I'll have it in by ROL deadline barring any delays. That way they will know that when the application committee meets and discussed ranking.

Last edited:
Disagree that CK doesn't matter. A few interviewers this season in IM told me that they see CK as more important than Step 1. It makes sense - most of CK is IM.

Whether it would impact their rank after you've already interviewed, I have no idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Disagree that CK doesn't matter. A few interviewers this season in IM told me that they see CK as more important than Step 1. It makes sense - most of CK is IM.

Whether it would impact their rank after you've already interviewed, I have no idea.
How dare you actually use your real life experience instead of speculating/spreading misinformation and then have the nerve of clarifying what you do and do not know.

OP CK is important. I don't know for sure in the uncertainty in this pandemic but in the normal application two years ago I think not taking CK before rank order list hurt me. A lot of places asked about it during the interview and sent emails to send it in before rank order list deadlines. You may have some lenience in this pandemic given the perception of COVID creating chaos but if you look at it realistically, taking CK on time this year was actually easier than ever. Students had an additional month before applications but weren't using it for away rotations/SubIs, the test centers remained open, rotations were not as intense (i.e. virtual rotations from home for 20 minutes a day during medicine), and interviews are virtual so you're not trying to juggle travel plans with CK studying. Finally, just to speculate I would think CK means more now given the clinical nature of it which would translate to residency success AND with Step 1 moving toward P/F soon programs probably see CK as the new thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think CK is alrdy just as important, if not more important that step1. I'm not even applying IM and my score has been brought up quite a bit.

I would aim to exceed your step1 score even if you're already done w interviews. And if you want top IM I would aim for 250+ minimum

Pd survey already says step 2 ck > step 1 albeit not by much and n = small. I’m a DO applying IM with interviews that I don’t think I could’ve gotten without my step 2.

CK definitely matters, in fact it matters more than step 1. The interviews I got were actually much more reflective of my step 2 score than my step 1. So do the best you can.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that CK matters for getting the interview, but are programs really going to rank you lower than they would've if you get a 235 instead of a 250 after you've already interviewed?

I understand that CK matters for getting the interview, but are programs really going to rank you lower than they would've if you get a 235 instead of a 250 after you've already interviewed?

No one knows for certain. I can speculate from my experience not having a CK score at all hurt me across the board. I had a pretty good Step 1 score (250+). My Step 2 CK was actually lower than my Step 1 but was similar to my friends who got interviews at many places I didn't. It's hard for me to say this was the reason but then getting questions about my CK and further emails pre-ROL asking me to submit my CK made me wish I had just bitten the bullet and taken CK. Obviously I don't have any data to say if a 235 vs. not having a score would be ideal. Just know programs would like to see CK. For this year I don't know how they're handling it with COVID-19, but for those reading for next year though, I would plan to have CK reported by certification or at least by interviews/ROL deadline.