What steps should I take?

Started by KerriE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KerriE

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all I am a 27 yr old married mom of two who just realized I wanted to go back to school.

My final goal would be my own private practice in michigan as a psychologist.

Anyone have any good ideas for non-practical colleges (I mean online/distance education) for my bachelors and MSW/PhD?

I am starting from the ground up here meaning I still need to get my bachelors under my belt. What schools would you suggest that allow for off campus learning for my bachelors? should I just do general studies or look for one that is primarily psych?

I know I need to go to a phd program that is apa accredited but do I really if I want to be licensed for my own private practice? Please give me your thoughts on this too. Michigan doesnt require a phd from an apa course i dont believe.

Also what should I go for as a graduate degree....Master in Social work? PhD in clinical psych? What?

Any help would be so appreciated as I am making my first steps and want them all to be right so I end up correctly licensed and able to practice alone if I so choose.

SO GLAD I FOUND THIS BOARD!

"Since so many people seem to care....I have CHANGED my major after much thought. I will be going into the healthcare field still but more hands on. I have decided upon being a CRNA. Thanks for the info as I was trying to decide"


Kerri
 
You can do a BS in psychology online through the University of Maryland University College. However, as an out-of-state student, it will be expensive for you. I wouldn't worry too much about grad degrees at this point. After you take some psych classes, you are likely to get a clearer sense of what you want to focus on. Getting the BS takes a long time --- you will probably find that you change your mind several times in the process.