What steps should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KerriE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I am a 27 yr old married mom of two who just realized I wanted to go back to school.

My final goal would be my own private practice in michigan as a psychologist.

Anyone have any good ideas for non-practical colleges (I mean online/distance education) for my bachelors and MSW/PhD?

I am starting from the ground up here meaning I still need to get my bachelors under my belt. What schools would you suggest that allow for off campus learning for my bachelors? should I just do general studies or look for one that is primarily psych?

I know I need to go to a phd program that is apa accredited but do I really if I want to be licensed for my own private practice? Please give me your thoughts on this too. Michigan doesnt require a phd from an apa course i dont believe.

Also what should I go for as a graduate degree....Master in Social work? PhD in clinical psych? What?

Any help would be so appreciated as I am making my first steps and want them all to be right so I end up correctly licensed and able to practice alone if I so choose.

SO GLAD I FOUND THIS BOARD!

"Since so many people seem to care....I have CHANGED my major after much thought. I will be going into the healthcare field still but more hands on. I have decided upon being a CRNA. Thanks for the info as I was trying to decide"

Kerri

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a BS in psychology online through the University of Maryland University College. However, as an out-of-state student, it will be expensive for you. I wouldn't worry too much about grad degrees at this point. After you take some psych classes, you are likely to get a clearer sense of what you want to focus on. Getting the BS takes a long time --- you will probably find that you change your mind several times in the process.