What stethoscope should I get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
preferably cheap and efficient for what I need for med school

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of thoughts and forums on this....

Littman is pretty much the gold standard. I have the master cardiology ii and a welch allyn Harvey. I like the Littman for a lot of reasons.

If you're just starting med school, don't buy one yet. Some schools require you buy one through them (it's a total scam). You don't want to spend $200 only to have you're school tell you to buy another for $200. Also, you won't see patients when you walk in the door of med school.

If your school doesn't require a particular scope, the Littman Classic II will probably be your best bang for your buck and the most practical.

You might also want to make sure your school doesn't already provide you with a stethoscope and other instruments. At least for my school, some of my classmates bought classic II's before starting only to get another classic II along with a doctor bag of other stuff (bp cuff, tuning fork, etc) a few weeks in.

Members don't see this ad :)
preferably cheap and efficient for what I need for med school

The Littmann Cardiology III is considered the best non-electronic stethoscope on the market both by many personal accounts and by testing that was done (you can find actual journal papers about it) looking at various acoustic properties.

It might be considered a investment for the future.

welch allen harvey elite. don't be another sheep with a littman (I have a littman, wish i got the welch harvey elite).

My Littman Classic II SE has served me well so far, I can pick up 1/6 murmurs so I'll wait til residency to see if I need the expensive Cardiology. I'd suggest that you also go for a mid-range stethoscope if you are on loans and are trying to save money. You won't miss anything.

Littman is pretty much the gold standard. I have the master cardiology ii and a welch allyn Harvey. I like the Littman for a lot of reasons.

If you're just starting med school, don't buy one yet. Some schools require you buy one through them (it's a total scam). You don't want to spend $200 only to have you're school tell you to buy another for $200. Also, you won't see patients when you walk in the door of med school.

If your school doesn't require a particular scope, the Littman Classic II will probably be your best bang for your buck and the most practical.

Our Welch Allen stuff came in today :D

I use Littman Cards III though.

welch allen harvey elite. don't be another sheep with a littman (I have a littman, wish i got the welch harvey elite).

Really? I hated the welch allyn. You can hear any murmur but it's so big and heavy that it was annoying to keep on my person.

This is what i'm doing. I'm holding off until I need one lol.

The Littmann Cardiology III is considered the best non-electronic stethoscope on the market both by many personal accounts and by testing that was done (you can find actual journal papers about it) looking at various acoustic properties.

It might be considered a investment for the future.

I got the Cardiology III and love it. Much better than the trash stethoscope provided with our school's kit IMO. And it really isn't too expensive - I think I got mine (the all black model, including engraving) for less than $200 on Steeles. Right now they start at $137: http://www.steeles.com/catalog/3mlittcardIII.html

I had and lost the Cardiology III.

So then I got the class II cuz I can't have nice things. It's not a bad scope though.

I got the Cardiology III and love it. Much better than the trash stethoscope provided with our school's kit IMO. And it really isn't too expensive - I think I got mine (the all black model, including engraving) for less than $200 on Steeles. Right now they start at $137: http://www.steeles.com/catalog/3mlittcardIII.html

+1

I remember spending time considering this and 1 year later I realize this is the most insignificant decision of your medical career (next to your binder color). Get whatever, but I got the III and it works great.

Members don't see this ad :)
]I had and lost the Cardiology III[/B].

So then I got the class II cuz I can't have nice things. It's not a bad scope though.

This is why we can't have nice things....

Reactions: 1 user
Buy a good quality stethoscope and you'll never have to buy another. It's like most things, buy a high quality product and it lasts. In the long run you save money. I went with the Lithmann Cardiology III and it's perfect. Most med students and even attendings have this stethoscope. A perfect product to last from med school to retirement. I even made a video to prove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IenXWN6ZjgQ

i got the litmann cardio but was very nervous to take it with me to the hospital since i have heard stories of steths disappearing on rotations. in fact one gal on my surgery rotation with me had hers grow a pair of legs and walk off :eek:

knowing that, i asked around in ortho and stumbled on the adscopes. they are 1/3 the price of the littmann and they have equally good sound quality. in fact i detected a 1/6 murmur on a patient with one that they nurse confirmed with her littmann but thought it was soft then listened with mine and said it was louder.

anyway, if you are looking for a cheaper functional alternative with equally good sound i highly recommend the adscopes!!!!!

Just put your ear on the patient's chest. Heart sounds come through loud and clear. People may look at you a little funny though..

Reactions: 1 user

I like my Cardiology III a lot, too. No complaints whatsoever, and there are a lot of color options (if you care... I wanted something prettier than black, navy or burgundy). I got mine from Medisave.net instead of through my school and they had a deal for free engraving or free shipping when I did it. That's not available now but it's the same price that Nick mentioned for Steeles and they might have deals again soon once school starts back up. I wouldn't bother ordering one before school starts. You probably won't need it for a while. Keep your eyes peeled for sales at your school or online.

i got the litmann cardio but was very nervous to take it with me to the hospital since i have heard stories of steths disappearing on rotations. in fact one gal on my surgery rotation with me had hers grow a pair of legs and walk off :eek:

knowing that, i asked around in ortho and stumbled on the adscopes. they are 1/3 the price of the littmann and they have equally good sound quality. in fact i detected a 1/6 murmur on a patient with one that they nurse confirmed with her littmann but thought it was soft then listened with mine and said it was louder.

anyway, if you are looking for a cheaper functional alternative with equally good sound i highly recommend the adscopes!!!!!

One of my surgical attendings used a peds stethoscope. His logic was that he could hear all he needed to and if he ever saw someone (other than a pediatrician) with a peds stethoscope they were hosed, lol.

"Stethoscope? I don't need no stinking stethoscope.
I can hear rales/rhonci with my ear . I can tell if a patient is in CHF from the door.
Auscultation is over rated. If I see anything suspicious… I get an x ray ordered.

That is the ONLY way to tell if it is fluid overload… atelecstasis.. etc.

Bowel sounds? Nope . Don't need a scope.Take a mini history , visual observation will tell you if .. additional imaging is necessary.

Heart sounds? Yeah .. right .. like I could diagnose a new murmur.. they don't pay me enough for that. I can however note signs and symptoms of decreased cardiac output.

Plus.. they are a pain in the neck.. literally when they are draped over your neck!

P.S. I don't wear a watch either."

I had and lost the Cardiology III.

Heh, same story. Someone stole my Cardiology III in the ER during a trauma. Bought a class II as a replacement. I haven't regretted it for a second. Anything that I would possibly miss with the class II would not affect my management in any way.

Heh, same story. Someone stole my Cardiology III in the ER during a trauma. Bought a class II as a replacement. I haven't regretted it for a second. Anything that I would possibly miss with the class II would not affect my management in any way.

Was it engraved? That would seem like a moderate deterrent and hopefully ensure it got back to you if it was misplaced. I originally had a really absurd bright blue one, and people thought it was silly, but I could always know which was mine from across the room.

Was it engraved? That would seem like a moderate deterrent and hopefully ensure it got back to you if it was misplaced. I originally had a really absurd bright blue one, and people thought it was silly, but I could always know which was mine from across the room.

No. I didn't have anything written on it. Not that smart =/. Speaking of things getting swiped, my trauma shears disappeared last week :(. I hate losing those :( They make dressing changes so much faster.

thanks, I'm buying the littman classic for $70 on amazon...ill buy a good one if i need it down the road once I'm a practicing physician and with dough to spend

TripleHead.JPG

I lost my class II in the ER a few months ago. Looked everywhere. Pretty sure someone made off with it.

Haven't gotten a replacement yet.

Welch Allyn Harvey DLX > Welch Allyn Harvey Elite > Littman Cardiology III

Last edited:
Ditto-ing the Cardiology III. It's definitely the most popular at my school across all the classes. :thumbup:

You guys are all way off. It's $13.88 for a whole medical kit, including stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, otoscope and thermometer. :nod:

Prestige Medical with bell and diaphragm.. Works fine and is like $30. If you're really dying to hear the 1/6 murmur get the electro amplified Cadillac, otherwise save your moneys. And If you don't give a **** at all get the red cheapie out of clean utility for free.