What subspecialty is most sought after

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncomine

citizen of the med world
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im interested inPrivate Practice and want to know which subspecialty to focus on that will make me most sellable to private practices. I'm assuming this is based on incidence of certain cancers.

Members don't see this ad.

Im interested inPrivate Practice and want to know which subspecialty to focus on that will make me most sellable to private practices. I'm assuming this is based on incidence of certain cancers.
The subspecialty you should focus on if you want to do PP Hem/Onc is...wait for it...Hem/Onc.

Most PP groups don't have the luxury of allowing their docs to super-sub-specialize. Even the big ones are usually spread out over multiple offices, so it's not like you have 25 docs in 1 office, they're working 3-8 different offices.

Do what you find interesting. But be sure to get broad exposure, especially to breast, lung, prostate and colorectal. If you want to do benign heme, lots of groups are looking for somebody to be their b***h for that crap.

Market yourself best by focusing on the more common.
Not sure what the other weirdos problem is with benign heme but thats important exposure as well as it may be up to a quarter of your work

Last edited: