What supplement materials should I get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin512

:)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend and I at the University of Florida want to pair up and buy some supplement materials to aid us in studying for the DAT. After reviewing the forum I found these materials: DAT Destroyer, DAT achiever, topscore, and AcetheDAT.

Does anyone know if it is even possible to use the programs listed above between two people? Also, which one do you think is the best? Should I get Dr. Jim's Orgo book or just stick the Kaplan book review book?

Thanks,
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan does a great job. If you know all of the science stuff in their book you should do fine on the DAT.

What materials you buy depends on how much help you need. Some people find that paying attention in class and studying their old textbooks is good enough. WHAT you buy isn't as important as HOW you study. For example, buying everything that's out there but not actually taking the time to study - won't help you. But if you put your nose to the grind and utilize a few key things - that may be all you need.

Good luck!

I understand that I need to work hard to achieve a good score, but I want to know specifically if anyone knows which material is best (by experience) and if two people can use it at two different computers (just to make it cheaper). If we can't split it I could careless. Right now I am reading the Kaplan book and using the Kaplan note cards (I got them from a friend who took the course last year).

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that I need to work hard to achieve a good score, but I want to know specifically if anyone knows which material is best (by experience) and if two people can use it at two different computers (just to make it cheaper). If we can't split it I could careless. Right now I am reading the Kaplan book and using the Kaplan note cards (I got them from a friend who took the course last year).

kaplan, achiever, topscore, and some coffee is the way to! atleast, that is what i heard. anything else is probably useless

My friend and I at the University of Florida want to pair up and buy some supplement materials to aid us in studying for the DAT. After reviewing the forum I found these materials: DAT Destroyer, DAT achiever, topscore, and AcetheDAT.

Does anyone know if it is even possible to use the programs listed above between two people? Also, which one do you think is the best? Should I get Dr. Jim's Orgo book or just stick the Kaplan book review book?

Thanks,
Kevin

Get the DAT Destroyer. I have gone through a lot of prep material, and nothing really comes close to the destroyer. I am using this book for gchem and biology, and I have to say this is a great study tool. Simply put, this is a problem solving book for the sns and quantitative reasoning. Here are a few things that set this book apart from other study guides:

1. Virtually every problem is loaded with some kind of a booby trap. This helps to reinforce important concepts and prevents sloppy mistakes. Later on, the trap nature of the questions become valuable for drilling purposes because it keeps the brain honest (provided you don't just memorize the answers and rely on your reasoning)

2. Very detailed solutions with lots of extra things you should know. These tid-bits of information are valuable.

3. Quite a bit of material that is not seen in other study guides (ie kaplan, achiever, topscore). The ochem problems are very unique in my opinion.

4. Material is constantly being updated. When was the last time Kaplan updated their material?

If you have time for it and really want to tear apart the Organic chemistry sections....BUY Dr. J's Organic Chemistry Odyssey!!! I know this book like the back of my hand (spent about a month dissecting and analyzing it), and I know more about organic chemistry than I ever did, and I was a strong organic chemistry student. The chapters on stereochemistry, substitution reactions, and elimination reactions are priceless. Those three areas of organic chemistry, along with organic synthesis, in my opinion, are where textbooks fall short in teaching you what you need to know on test day. Because what you need to know can't really be read in any textbook, but must be cultivated through problem solving. I have been through multiple textbooks as an undergraduate (mcmurry, carrey, morrison and boyd, loudon) and numerous other organic teaching tools, and Organic Chemistry Odyssey surpasses every tool on the market. Is it overkill? Sure....it probably is, but if you know this book, you'll be hard pressed not to get a 20 on a really really bad day.

Other guides worth looking at (not commonly talked about but very good):

Ultimate study guide for biology: key review questions with answers and explanations. This is a three volume set of biology questions in multiple choice format. Great source for oddball biology questions.

REA's Problem Solvers: Biology (thick pink book from REA's problem solvers line): If you have time for schaum's, use this instead....way better. People use this book to score in the 90th percentile on GRE biology exam. All information is in the form of essay questions, and at the end of each chapter there are multiple choice/fill in the blank questions (very tricky ones that make you think).

3000 solved problems in General Chemistry from Schuams:
Not absolutely necessary, but a great source for difficult gchem problems of quantitative nature. The type that require an extra step or "thinking outside the box." Similar to a few of the achiever gchem questions.

Stay away from:
Exam Krackers 1001 questions for gchem, ochem, and biology.
This is way off the mark in terms of DAT prep. gchem is just loaded with oddball conceptual questions. We're talking questions of hair splitting nature. The explanations are sketchy as well. Even though there are a few decent conceptual questions for gchem....its still an overall waste of time.

Just my 2cents though, if you're pressed for time, cease all material and stick with destroyer. The destroyer does a good job of condensing a large body of knowledge into manageable form. Concentrating on theory alone in a short amount of time won't do much good. Don't take it for granted that you'll "be able to apply what you read" on test day. That is especially true for gchem and equations. Hope this helps and good luck.

One book is never enough enfortunately for optimal grades on the dat...each book concentrates on specific items and does a great job explaining but overall id say the destroyer provided the greatest grades and definitely was a big part of my acceptance to Stony brook. But the more books u use the better u will do because you will be more verse.

I agree with Law. Destroyer is the best, but I would also know Kaplan front to back, use examkrackers for RC, and do as many practice tests as possible.

I have an old Barron's book from books-a-million. Does anyone know if the practice test from barron's are anything like the real DAT? The book isn't very detailed. They didn't even mention acetyl-choline in the neuron section.

I found no book with the title "Organic Chemistry Odyssey"
on amazon.com... Where do you find this book ?

I found no book with the title "Organic Chemistry Odyssey"
on amazon.com... Where do you find this book ?

You can't find it on amazon. Go to Orgoman.com
Click on products and you'll find it. This is a good book. Take my word for it!

I have an old Barron's book from books-a-million. Does anyone know if the practice test from barron's are anything like the real DAT? The book isn't very detailed. They didn't even mention acetyl-choline in the neuron section.

Do yourself a favor and don't even read the natural sciences for that book. The book is only good for PAT. Not only are the natural sciences a joke, but there are errors in the tests. Same goes for Cliff Notes DAT...the book is good for PAT but not very helpful for the natural sciences.

I am currently intensely studying to take the DAT within the next couple of months and am currently using Destroyer, Kaplan Blue book, Achiever, Topscore, and Cliffs. To be honest, the closest that I have heard that you can get to the actual science questions on the DAT is the Destroyer. A wise man once told me: BEWARE do not get stuck just looking for the correct answers, the detailed explanations in the back are there for a reason. You can often learn a lot more in the explained answers than you will in an other of the study materials. They are jam packed with loads of info if you work hard on it. Good luck with the studying.

i agree with quikag1.... ye thedestoyer problems are great, but make sure you pay attention to the explanations in the back. they explain why a problem is wrong. im also using the destroyed along with topscrope, achiever and exam krakers..good luck

The Topscore software is an excellent supplement to the Kaplan course. While the Kaplan course teaches you test-taking methods and helps you to go over the material, running the Topscore program on your computer at home gives you a real-time DAT simulation.

You can clear your scores as well, so a friend can use it (or you could use it again and again).

I think I did ok, with scores of 24AA / 21 PAT / 23 TS, and this from a guy who has been out of school for a while. Go, topscore.