What supplements pharmacist should take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3boooda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an 8 hrs non stop craziness. What you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Final day of active duty service is this Monday (still sinking in)....

Gotta great doc thats been given me my crazy pills: Zoloft and Seroquel (sometimes it even seems seroquel is better than ambien to put me down to rest or even doses of caffeine to keep me going without a care in the world)

Why go for supps when you have all those drugs?

Vitamin b complex and caffeine

Members don't see this ad :)
Caffeine 200mg, vitamin d3 5000u, magnesium 250mg, bcomplex with b6 + b12, high epa fish oil, multivitamin with most (~30) vits/minerals, gasX... hmm high blood pressure meds too

Reactions: 1 users
Caffeine 200mg, vitamin d3 5000u, magnesium 250mg, bcomplex with b6 + b12, high epa fish oil, multivitamin with most (~30) vits/minerals, gasX... hmm high blood pressure meds too
*Agree with MVI+minerals, Vitamin C and B-complex to maintain energy. I used to juice, watch my folic acid/fe levels and make sure I get enough Vit D and sleep on a daily basis. Go outside or get exercise on your day off. (Do not sit on couch and stare at TV).
*For ladies that do 8 hours non-stop: make sure your hormones don't go unbalanced. Very easy for adrenal fatigue to set in if you're not careful.

Multivitamins are a scam. Just expensive piss. sometimes they can even be dangerous. Do you guys even look at the studies?
Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins?
If you eat healthy, there is no need for multivitamins. It doesn't hurt hurt to take 1 a day to make sure you get all daily % requirement. For $15 - buy one get one free, I can get 2 years worth of multivitamins. I think it's well worth a piece of mind.

Multivitamins are a scam. Just expensive piss. sometimes they can even be dangerous. Do you guys even look at the studies?
Is There Really Any Benefit to Multivitamins?
I took vitamins because I found it very difficult to fit in a proper meal QD. You can meal prep, but no one has time to eat (while working nonstop in retail).

Can you link evidence from PubMed next time?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you eat healthy, there is no need for multivitamins. It doesn't hurt hurt to take 1 a day to make sure you get all daily % requirement. For $15 - buy one get one free, I can get 2 years worth of multivitamins. I think it's well worth a piece of mind.
Yes it does hurt. I hope pharmacists aren't counseling their patients to take this garbage. Studies have show that some vitamins can be dangerous as especially in the doses that are contained in these supplements.

I took vitamins because I found it very difficult to fit in a proper meal QD. You can meal prep, but no one has time to eat (while working nonstop in retail).

Can you link evidence from PubMed next time?
Ok dr. oz.

Odd I am seeing defense of multivitamins on a pharmacy forum. Maybe a broscience forum on bodybuilding.com would be more appropriate.

Reactions: 4 users
Odd I am seeing defense of multivitamins on a pharmacy forum. Maybe a broscience forum on bodybuilding.com would be more appropriate.
Do they not give PNV to pregnant women or women trying to become pregnant?
(Not looking for an argument here and I do understand that if you eat right, you don't need vitamins... but some circumstances in life call for it).

Do they not give PNV to pregnant women or women trying to become pregnant?
(Not looking for an argument here and I do understand that if you eat right, you don't need vitamins... but some circumstances in life call for it).
There is a difference between a doctor prescribing or telling you to take something and self medicating yourself. I take Vitamin D 2000IU because my doctor told me too. I get bloodwork every year and he found I was deficient in Vitamin D. Very common in americans because we dont get a lot of sun. But taking multivitamins which have dangerous doses and come from bad sources isn't really safe.

There is a difference between a doctor prescribing or telling you to take something and self medicating yourself. I take Vitamin D 2000IU because my doctor told me too. I get bloodwork every year and he found I was deficient in Vitamin D. Very common in americans because we dont get a lot of sun. But taking multivitamins which have dangerous doses and come from bad sources isn't really safe.

Wait. I understand what you are saying. Believe me I do.

But... don't you think a pharmacist would look at their blood work and ascertain how much vitamins to take?
I don't just take any vitamin under the sun because I thought they were cool neon colors.
I discuss labs with my PCP, but she tells me to figure out what vitamins I take on my own.

I also have to let you know that I am not a 20+ year old person.

But... don't you think a pharmacist would look at their blood work and ascertain how much vitamins to take?
I don't just take any vitamin under the sun because I thought they were cool neon colors.
I discuss labs with my PCP, but she tells me to figure out what vitamins I take on my own.

I also have to let you know that I am not a 20+ year old person.

I thought we were talking about multivitamins that have ridiculously high doses. Some of them 3000% of the daily amount. And even if you did manage to get every vitamin you needed individually some of theses vitamins are dangerous outside of food sources. Take vitamin E for example. They did a study because they thought it might reduce prostate cancer because it was an antioxidant. They found the opposite was true. It increased the risk.

Prostate Cancer Risk from Vitamin E Supplements

It's your choice to take multivitamins. Just realize they might not be helping you and you are just urinating money. Enjoy your neon colored radioactive piss.

Enjoy your neon colored radioactive piss.
I acknowledge your point with high dose Vitamin E and increased prostate cancer risk.
Thank you also for the colorful comment. Are you a student? Have you ever worked 8-10 hour nonstop days? Do you still live with mommie and daddy? In their basement?

Do you know the numb feeling you get in your wrists when you type over 300+ RX's per day? Do you get pains in your knees, hips and/or shoulders at the end of a long day?

When did I ever mention high dose intake of MVI in my previous posts? That's something you just came up with on your own and decided to argue with me about. I'm just answering your questions. I'm not sure why I have to enjoy neon colored piss on behalf of your insanity. You need to sit down, kid.

Easy now ladies & gentlemen...too much fuss for a plain old MVI. Sure it's a very grey topic with a lot of personal diet what ifs/is this really necessary/does blood work actually indicate a possible benefit from use

Easy now ladies & gentlemen...too much fuss for a plain old MVI. Sure it's a very grey topic with a lot of personal diet what ifs/is this really necessary/does blood work actually indicate a possible benefit from use
Hilarious! The person completely missed the point that I was possibly preparing my body for a pregnancy with those vitamins. Oh god... I am ashamed for the profession.

Hilarious! The person completely missed the point that I was possibly preparing my body for a pregnancy with those vitamins. Oh god... I am ashamed for the profession.

You do realize the question is being asked by the OP...most of which we know nothing about

I don't think you're very savvy about context, communication, & the proper use of quotations to elicit responses from others...or picking up on sarcasm for that matter
:troll:

Last edited:
Oh man. What I do now
You give us more information about your 8 hour nonstop situation and let us know what kind of supplements you were thinking of taking. Not all of us might agree, but at least you'll get some honest answers and conspiracy theories. It's up to you to decide which one is the conspiracy theory. Then someone is going to tell a joke or say something off topic in the middle of the thread.

My diet is crap, it's very likely I'm not getting enough of some vitamins, might as well take multivitamin, job is stressful enough I don't need vitamin/mineral deficiencies making my life harder than it already is if I can help it for like 10 bucks for like 100+ tabs.

I acknowledge your point with high dose Vitamin E and increased prostate cancer risk.
Thank you also for the colorful comment. Are you a student? Have you ever worked 8-10 hour nonstop days? Do you still live with mommie and daddy? In their basement?
What a strawman. It would be like me accusing you of being an antivaxxer.
Do you know the numb feeling you get in your wrists when you type over 300+ RX's per day? Do you get pains in your knees, hips and/or shoulders at the end of a long day?
I am a programmer for living so I type all day. perhaps more than you. I also sit all day in a crappy chair so it causes all kind of back problems. That's life in a white collar job. But none of what you said would be cured by vitamins. Perhaps you need to see an OT.

When did I ever mention high dose intake of MVI in my previous posts? That's something you just came up with on your own and decided to argue with me about. I'm just answering your questions. I'm not sure why I have to enjoy neon colored piss on behalf of your insanity.
Um all multivitamins have high doses. Take a look at this label for gnc vitamins. If you are taking any of them chances are you are getting a huge dose.
GNC Mega Men Multivitamin 180ct | Support Heart, Immune Health & more | GNC

You need to sit down, kid.
Not sure why you need to resort to insults. Just post a study that multivitamins have some sort of benefits. As a health care professional you should be going by facts and studies that were actually done and not anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
@Luol Deng Fan is correct. Multivitamins are useless for most and may also be harmful (they all contain well over the RDA). But, if you have large gaps in your nutrition and your diet is poor, it may make sense to take one. Diet and exercise first and foremost, then supplement your crappy diet afterward.

No mention of Ashwagandha? Surprising. 600mg KSM-66 daily, great as an anxiolytic and cheap. Just make sure you buy from a reputable company with 3rd party CoA's (as with all supps).
Ashwagandha: UPDATED 2018 - Scientific review on benefits, side effects, dosage, & more

Last edited:
Are people itt really suggesting that vitamin D supplementation is useless?

I guess you didn't bother reading the studies you posted.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29224648
"The rationale for including high-dose OMVM in TACT was to prevent confounding of the parent chelation study. The TACT investigators did not expect the OMVM regimen to produce clinically important benefits independent of the chelation treatment. The findings reported here were serendipitously discovered. The relative treatment effect seems quite large and this, in the presence of substantial noncompliance and what we think we already know about OMVM, makes these results seem implausible. However, implausible does not mean wrong. Under these circumstances, it is prudent to view these results skeptically and await TACT2 replication before any serious consideration is given to the potential clinical value of these findings."
Doesn't sound very convincing to me.
Katherine Ford & Susan J. Whiting (2018) Vitamin and Mineral Supplement Use by Community-Dwelling Adults Living in Canada and the United States: A Scoping Review, Journal of Dietary Supplements, 15:4, 419-430, DOI: 10.1080/19390211.2017.1350247

This study wasn't looking at the efficacy of multivitamins, but how many people are taking them. From your own link. Results from this scoping review indicate that data on the quantity and combination of supplement use is lacking in Canada and United States.
Grodstein F, et al. (2013) Long-term multivitamin supplementation and cognitive function in men: a randomized trail. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Dec 17;159(12):806-14.

LOL.
CONCLUSION:
In male physicians aged 65 years or older, long-term use of a daily multivitamin did not provide cognitive benefits.

Scott TM, et al. (2017) B-Vitamin Therapy for Kidney Transplant Recipients Lowers Homocysteine and Improves Selective Cognitive Outcomes in the Randomized FAVORIT Ancillary Cognitive Trial. J Prev Alzheimers Dis. 2017;4(3):174-182. doi: 10.14283/jpad.2017.15.

CONCLUSIONS:
High-dose B-vitamin supplementation provided modest cognitive benefit for kidney transplant recipients with elevated baseline tHcy. Since nearly all participants were folate and vitamin B12 sufficient at baseline, the potential cognitive benefits of folate and B12 supplementation in individuals with poor B-vitamin status remains to be determined.
LOL.
GB Maru & SV Bhinde. (1982) Effect of antioxidants and antioxidants of isoniazid on the formation of lung tumors in mice by isoniazid and hydralazine sulphate. Cancer Lett. 1982 Oct;17(1):75-80.

LOL
Dietary administration of butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) or simultaneous oral administration of antitoxicants (L-arginine, L-sodium glutamate and pyridoxine hydrochloride) failed to prevent HS-induced lung tumours.

Nozari E, et al. (2019). The Effect of Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid Supplementation on Serum Homocysteine, Anemia Status and Quality of Life of Patients with Multiple Sclerosis. Clin Nutr Res. 2019 Jan 25;8(1):36-45. doi: 10.7762/cnr.2019.8.1.36. eCollection 2019 Jan.

Stopped reading here
Iranian Registry of Clinical Trials Identifier

I guess you didn't bother reading the studies you posted.
"The rationale for including high-dose OMVM in TACT was to prevent confounding of the parent chelation study. The TACT investigators did not expect the OMVM regimen to produce clinically important benefits independent of the chelation treatment. The findings reported here were serendipitously discovered. The relative treatment effect seems quite large and this, in the presence of substantial noncompliance and what we think we already know about OMVM, makes these results seem implausible. However, implausible does not mean wrong. Under these circumstances, it is prudent to view these results skeptically and await TACT2 replication before any serious consideration is given to the potential clinical value of these findings."
Doesn't sound very convincing to me.
This study wasn't looking at the efficacy of multivitamins, but how many people are taking them. From your own link. Results from this scoping review indicate that data on the quantity and combination of supplement use is lacking in Canada and United States.
LOL.
CONCLUSION:
In male physicians aged 65 years or older, long-term use of a daily multivitamin did not provide cognitive benefits.

CONCLUSIONS:
High-dose B-vitamin supplementation provided modest cognitive benefit for kidney transplant recipients with elevated baseline tHcy. Since nearly all participants were folate and vitamin B12 sufficient at baseline, the potential cognitive benefits of folate and B12 supplementation in individuals with poor B-vitamin status remains to be determined.
LOL.

LOL
Dietary administration of butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) or simultaneous oral administration of antitoxicants (L-arginine, L-sodium glutamate and pyridoxine hydrochloride) failed to prevent HS-induced lung tumours.

Stopped reading here
Iranian Registry of Clinical Trials Identifier
I actually did read the summaries. I put the one about male physicians over 65 y.o. in there for kicks. I'm glad you saw the humor in that and the other studies.

What do I have to agree to again? High dose vitamins are wasteful and something about neon-colored urine? Sure.

I actually did read the summaries. I put the one about male physicians over 65 y.o. in there for kicks. I'm glad you saw the humor in that and the other studies.

What do I have to agree to again? High dose vitamins are wasteful and something about neon-colored urine? Sure.
More like wasting your money on poisons.

I take chelated magnesium for sleep. Caffeine in the AM.

Most multivitamins for most people is a waste of time. For some people, supplementation can be harmful. Giving inactivated folic acid to someone with MTHFR mutation, for example.

O.K. There is No proof, zip, none, nada, that Multiple vitamins do anything more than line the pockets of the people who make, distribute and sell them. As for before or during early pregnancy, the sole benefit to take multiple vitamins is the folic acid component to prevent neural tube defects. Even the current vitamin D supplementation rage is on shaky ground. While low levels of vitamin D are bad there is no proof that exogenous vitamin D is beneficial. We think it is and high vitamin d is better than low vitamin d, supplementation lacks proof of efficacy, The supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA for quality, uniformity or proof of benefit. They are regulated by the Department of Agriculture since they own Congress. Also, disabuse yourself of the notion that taking multiple vitamins because you don't eat well is anything other than *****ic. If your body was a car, food is fuel and vitamins are the spark plugs. No matter who good or how often you change your spark plugs, no or low quality fuel will still make your car run crappy.... The same with people......

For some people, supplementation can be harmful. Giving inactivated folic acid to someone with MTHFR mutation, for example.

I'd love to read some literature on how it's harmful for someone with MTHFR mutation to consume folate?

From what I've read, it has almost zero significance.

Last edited: