What textbooks for Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, and Histology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those that know, what textbooks are medical schools using for anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and histology? I will be taking the MCAT in August, applying shortly after or before I take the MCAT, and graduating in December. I am very ambitious and would like to at the very least get a jump on all 4 of these subjects before my first year in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

your time can be much better spent doing other things... but

we use big Moore for Anatomy, Berne & Levy for Physio, Marks' for Biochem, and Gartner, Wheater, or Ross for Histo.

seriously though you will have enough time to do this in med school, travel, work and make some $$$, or spend time with friends/family cause you won't while you're in school.

I respect your eagerness but this is a marathon, not a sprint so be realistic and enjoy the time that you do have.

-J

Hardbody said:
To those that know, what textbooks are medical schools using for anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and histology? I will be taking the MCAT in August, applying shortly after or before I take the MCAT, and graduating in December. I am very ambitious and would like to at the very least get a jump on all 4 of these subjects before my first year in medical school.

:thumbdown: BAD IDEA. You have no idea what you are getting yourself into with this comment. You will spend the rest of your life studying. It is the opinion of a majority of medical students (including myself) that studying prior to matriculation will not benefit you in the long run. I didn't even use textbooks to study for any of my medical school courses. If you study now, you will be burned out before you even start. You will likely be studying the wrong thing anyway.

I'll tell you the list of books I recommend, but I suggest waiting until school begins to see what books they recommend, and what you will actually need. You will also want to get the most updated editions anyway.

Anatomy: Board Review Series (Chung), Netter's Atlas, Rohen's Atlas

Histology: Wheater's Atlas

Physiology: Board Review Series

Biochemistry: None (our class notes were sufficient)

(as you can see I didn't use textbooks other than for lab)---the board review books are good enough if your school gives you good notes

Members don't see this ad :)
Hardbody said:

Good luck with your applications, by the way. You've outlined a good strategy - especially if you're not a bio/premed major. Previous exposure to the first year subjects certainly makes things easier for you in your first year.

That having been said, I wouldn't try and get a jump on *all* these subjects at the same time. Instead, I would get a really good anatomy textbook - the one I would recommend is Gray's Anatomy for Students and take the time to master the whole thing before you start medical school, effectively taking 90% of the stress (and effort) out of what will likely be the most difficult of your first year classes.

Physiology builds on an understanding of Anatomy, and so I'd just leave that alone for the moment. Plus (I think), it's a lot easier than Anatomy as are Biochemistry and Histology. Then again, rote memorization has always been my weak point.

Thanks for the input, I have been really busy otherwise I would have posted back quicker.

Although no book can compare with the real bible, the following were my class "saviors":

BRS: Neuroanatomy, Physiology!!!, Biochemistry.
Wheaters: Histo Atlas (although class notes and some time in lab was really all I needed).
Rohens/Netters: Anatomy atlases

Hardbody said:

Whatever you learn, will be covered in the first 3 days of class.

Don't waste your time.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Whatever you learn, will be covered in the first 3 days of class.

Don't waste your time.

:thumbup: