What textbooks would you recommend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris_P

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together a list of recommended textbooks for new med students...

Could people tell me what books they recommend for -

Preclinical - anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, etc

Clinical - which ones you need to buy.

Medical fiction - books that inspire or enthrall (things like 'House of God')

I know that's quite a broad list of subjects but I want the list to be comprehensive so the students know what they are going to have to fork out for.

Thanks very much

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I thought these were the best of the best for the first year:

IMMUNOLOGY: "The Immune System," Parham; "Basic Immunology," Abbas; "Immunology," Kuby.

EMBRYOLOGY: "The Developing Human," Moore; "Langman's Medical Embryology," Sadler.

HISTOLOGY / MICROANATOMY: "Histology: a Text and Atlas," Ross; "Wheater's Functional Histology (excellent)," Young.

BIOCHEMISTRY: "Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry," Nelson and Cox; "Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry," Champe and Harvey.

GENETICS: "Genetics in Medicine," Nussbaum.

ANATOMY: "Atlas of Human Anatomy," Netter; "Clinically Oriented Anatomy," Moore; "Color Atlas of Anatomy," Rohen.

NEUROSCIENCE: "Principles of Neural Science," Kandel.

PHYSIOLOGY: "Textbook of Medical Physiology," Guyton.

MOLECULAR / CELL BIOLOGY: "Molecular Biology of the Cell," Alberts.

BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE: "Board Review Series: Behavioral Science"

I highly recommend purchasing all of the "Board Review Series" books as they were invaluble for previewing for classes, reviewing (makes sense), and they had lots of board type review questions at the end of each section.

Hope this helps.