What the F is up with Texas!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP is either trolling or has a problem.

This wouldn't the first time the admissions process has messed with people. Everyone feels they deserve to go to Harvard, but sadly that just isn't how it works. Can't really blame OP too much, I actually kinda feel bad for him.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been lurking on here for some time now and am currently struggling through my second application cycle. Today was apparent match day in Texas and I see all the commotion on the Texas school specific-threads etc. I cannot tell you how absolutely SICK it makes me to some of most disgusting stats that seem to be just waltzing in the doors of just about any school in that state. Meanwhile, I'm here busting my butt in every way possible: stellar grades, stellar MCAT, beast ECs & research, and I'm lucky to get into a middle tier school. This whole system is so ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet that half the Texas applicants would stand NO chance in any out-of-state school whatsoever. This makes me sick. :thumbdown:

Bring on the arguments too!-let's hear whatever definable "reasons" there may be for this...

up-ICRD516S86GLBMIN.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens in Texas, stays in Texas. Err... Wait nevermind.

I don't know your stats so, no, Im not talking about you (but I likely am). Med students in Texas would probably get simply murdered in any other curricula.

Disclaimer: I am not in Medical school in Texas.

And yet Texas has two top 20 schools (UTSW and Baylor). While the average stats of matriculants to Texas schools are lower than the averages nationwide, you still have (for the most part) extremely competent medical students.

I somehow doubt that someone with "stellar scores, stellar EC's, and stellar grades" is having a tough time to get into even a mid-tier school. I'm sorry that your application may be substandard for schools in your state and not good enough for high-end private schools, but you might have had just as difficult a time in Texas, particularly getting through the interview process without coming off as a complete ass.

Get your attitude in order, try and make YOUR application better, and don't judge those who have managed to get an acceptance, they've worked quite hard for what they've received.

What an idiotic statement. Look up the entrance stats for any Texas medical school and you will see that they are on par with the rest of the nation. In fact, Texas has 2 of the most competitive medical schools in the nation with Baylor and UT Southwestern as well as the largest medical center in the world in Houston. And if you're as awesome as you think you are, then Baylor would have welcomed you if you applied there as they don't participate in the match and are not obligated to accept Texas residents.

And secondly, basically all medical school curricula in the nation are the same. Having a higher class MCAT average doesn't mean the school is more difficult in any way. Plus, you're a pre-med so you don't even know what the medical school curricula are like. You're speaking out of pure ignorance. If you go to any of the Texas medical schools you will get a top-notch education.

And it took me 2 applications + a 3rd that I almost submitted before I finally did get accepted, and I never complained like this.

If your attitude here is at all indicative of your actual attitude in reality, I can see why nobody will take you.

I've already torn into the OP's post, now time to correct you a little bit.

1. Facts remain that averages for Texas school's are lower than national averages, though this does not make Texas schools bad.

2. UTSW and Baylor are only in the most competitive schools in the country if you consider out-of-state residents; their acceptance rate in-state puts them in mid-tier for competitiveness. This applies to both schools since:

3. Baylor fills 90% of its class from in-state as per the school's agreement with the State of Texas. This agreement is what allows Baylor to have such low tuition for a private school.

Finally, congrats on your acceptance and good luck in school! :)

Wow that's incredibly caustic (if you know what that means). I think I have every right to be upset with a process that is systematically excluding top talent. Don't give me any crap about taking care of their own either. That's simply trying to justify what I've already stated without refuting it.

Also, the Texas doctor factories you guys call medical schools not nearly as high caliber at you all (not ya'll) would claim.

And finally, the great doctors in Texas usually come from elsewhere.

Self identified top talent (with no specifics to back it up) raging because someone in Texas with lower stats is going to be a Dr.

You need a reality check OP.

I've already torn into the OP's post, now time to correct you a little bit.

1. Facts remain that averages for Texas school's are lower than national averages, though this does not make Texas schools bad.

2. UTSW and Baylor are only in the most competitive schools in the country if you consider out-of-state residents; their acceptance rate in-state puts them in mid-tier for competitiveness. This applies to both schools since:

3. Baylor fills 90% of its class from in-state as per the school's agreement with the State of Texas. This agreement is what allows Baylor to have such low tuition for a private school.

Finally, congrats on your acceptance and good luck in school! :)

Wait, can you elaborate on this? Baylor is largely subsidized by the state of Texas? Doesn't that make them... public?

Wait, can you elaborate on this? Baylor is largely subsidized by the state of Texas? Doesn't that make them... public?

Baylor has a legal contract with the state and so they receive significant funding as long as they maintain the 90% policy that the state's public school's have.

The school itself still isn't technically public since it isn't owned by the State, and could technically terminate that contract at any point (losing funding in the process).

If only there were a standardized test that would weed out the lowly Texan med students and prevent them from contaminating the rest of American medicine with their ilk. I mean, clearly if Texan med schools accepted people that were too stupid to be good physicians, such a test would prove that, right?

Baylor has a legal contract with the state and so they receive significant funding as long as they maintain the 90% policy that the state's public school's have.

The school itself still isn't technically public since it isn't owned by the State, and could technically terminate that contract at any point (losing funding in the process).

You're close. Baylor is a private school that gets a large amount of funding from the state (not all of it's funding though). Therefore, they don't adhere to the 90% law, but they do take in a little over 75% in-state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did not read thread because useless.

OP, your application is obviously not stellar, otherwise you wouldn't be on your second application cycle. Good luck with your med school goals of 2014

What is the OP mad about? It's not like he has to live in California like me where the state schools are top tier and over-saturated with applications ;(.

It's 70% for BCM.

This wouldn't the first time the admissions process has messed with people. Everyone feels they deserve to go to Harvard, but sadly that just isn't how it works. Can't really blame OP too much, I actually kinda feel bad for him.

I'll blame him a whole lot. Insulting all those acceptees' is just rude.

Did not read thread because useless.

OP, your application is obviously not stellar, otherwise you wouldn't be on your second application cycle. Good luck with your med school goals of 2014

:thumbup: if the C/O 2017 thread brought you here!
:D

OP mad, Tx has two great med schools Baylor/TXSW.
If you actually checked the number of matriculated students each year its around 1600 which is like the 2nd or 3rd most in the united states, and we generally have around 4000 applicants, assuming each individual applicant applies to every med school, theres a high probability of you getting in somewhere.
Thats statistics plain and simple.

I've been lurking on here for some time now and am currently struggling through my second application cycle. Today was apparent match day in Texas and I see all the commotion on the Texas school specific-threads etc. I cannot tell you how absolutely SICK it makes me to some of most disgusting stats that seem to be just waltzing in the doors of just about any school in that state. Meanwhile, I'm here busting my butt in every way possible: stellar grades, stellar MCAT, beast ECs & research, and I'm lucky to get into a middle tier school. This whole system is so ridiculous. I'd be willing to bet that half the Texas applicants would stand NO chance in any out-of-state school whatsoever. This makes me sick. :thumbdown:

Bring on the arguments too!-let's hear whatever definable "reasons" there may be for this...

Well done OP. Your rant attracted 70+ posts on your thread in ~3.5 hours.

Oh and btw OP, texas (Houston) is home to the largest medical center in the world. Kthanks.

Someone doesn't want to go DO or Caribbean.

Not really sure why this guy is mad. There are lots of schools open to him that rival those in Texas.

Last edited:
I hope the mods let one of these fly unlocked for a while.....

hell I might even subscribe to this thread if things get really good

I'd jump in and fan the flames a little myself but I don't want to get banned or anything.

for now:
:corny:

You guys think this was a good troll, and that this thread is entertaining? Pre-meds must have low standards for internet flaming.

sandy_cheeks_2_by_blbr-d32c1u8.jpg

"What did you just say?!"

I hope the mods let one of these fly unlocked for a while.....

hell I might even subscribe to this thread if things get really good

I'd jump in and fan the flames a little myself but I don't want to get banned or anything.

for now:
:corny:

"A life lived in fear is a life not worth living."
-Tattoo on some bro at the gym (deep, bro, so deep)

Admissions is more than stats but even then people in Texas are not "waltzing" into medical school.

The acceptance rate for Texas applicants is 41.7% which is lower than the national average of 43.1% (The oh so horrible California is 42.6%) And before you say more of these Texas applicants are getting in with lower stats, here are the numbers: Average Matriculant: 31.2/3.68 vs. Average Texas Matriculant: 31.0/3.7

The only thing you should be jealous about with regards to Texas residency is all those people that get to pay the super low instate tuition.

Source: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/

Edit: hizziaips beat me to it, thats what I get for eating a cupcake while looking up the stats.
Yes, about 42% of CA applicants are accepted. But the majority of accepted applicants must leave the state!

Wow that's incredibly caustic (if you know what that means). I think I have every right to be upset with a process that is systematically excluding top talent. Don't give me any crap about taking care of their own either. That's simply trying to justify what I've already stated without refuting it.

Also, the Texas doctor factories you guys call medical schools not nearly as high caliber at you all (not ya'll) would claim.

And finally, the great doctors in Texas usually come from elsewhere.

Wow. Okay, as a Texas undergrad (but not a Texas resident), I'd like to point out that I know a ton of extremely qualified TX resident applicants, both in this cycle and previous ones. I can assure you that getting into places like UT Houston and UT Southwestern is no cakewalk... and those are both incredible schools. The other schools in the state (Baylor excluded, obviously Baylor is a great school) may not be as prestigious, but they're well funded and up-and-coming. If I were a TX resident, I would go to most of those schools in a heartbeat, but I don't want to pay OOS tuition. Texas takes a lot of pride in its universities and turns out a lot of incredible undergrads, med students, and physicians, so take your bad attitude elsewhere.

Jajajajja

It is pretty great for pre-meds from Texas: great diversity of schools & awesomely low tuition. But seriously,

On a serious note:

Does a 3.4 / 33 ORM actually have a fairly good chance in TX?

Virginia is kind of cool to its in state people too. 3 schools (not counting Tech which doesn't care), all with about 50% of the class coming from VA. Would prefer to be from Ohio, with all those different schools, but nothing I can do about it.

Really? Do tell...I'm been a VA resident since I was 9 and a WV resident since I was 7 and this is news to me haha. UVa and VCU are public, but V.Tech and EVMS are private, also UVa isn't really nice (I know quite a few UVa-grads who were rejected from their alma mater w/decent stats).

I lived in TX for 3 months, it was awesome. I kept begging my parents to let us live there permanently but they don't have licenses to practice there haha..

If I were a TX resident, I would go to most of those schools in a heartbeat, but I don't want to pay OOS tuition. .

Nobody really pays out of state tuition in Texas (at least not at the 4 UT schools I interviewed at). There is a law that if you receive a scholarship worth at least $1000, then you also qualify for instate tuition. The schools said at all the interviews that if you are OOS and get accepted that acceptance comes with the necessary $1000 scholarship. Also, I think OOS tuition is still cheaper than most places (state or otherwise).

The real limiting factor isn't OOS tuition so much as the 90% instate rule making that acceptance hard to come by. They so seem to prefer people with instate connections though. Since you went to undergrad in state and since applying in Texas is super cheap relatively, I would say you should go ahead and apply.

Um no, not hardly. I love my state. It's just a shame that some states have such low admission standards.

You have to take into consideration the enormous sacrifice made by those who live, and even end up practicing in Texas. It all balances out in the end.

UTSW was recently named the 6th best medical school in the world by ARWU in 2012. The school is comprised of more than 90% Texas residents.

OP, I wonder where your state medical school ranks in comparison to UTSW on the list? Quit sipping on the Hatorade and accept the fact that state of Texas offers great medical education and trains great doctors.

UTSW was recently named the 6th best medical school in the world by ARWU in 2012. The school is comprised of more than 90% Texas residents.

OP, I wonder where your state medical school ranks in comparison to UTSW on the list? Quit sipping on the Hatorade and accept the fact that state of Texas offers great medical education and trains great doctors.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/FieldMED2012.html

This ARWU? I'm a little suspicious of a ranking that includes UC Berkeley (#30), which doesn't even have a medical school.

Also, U Minnesota-Twin Cities at 13, and WashU not even top 50? LOL.

"A life lived in fear is a life not worth living."
-Tattoo on some bro at the gym (deep, bro, so deep)

Thank You!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
very true. Or put another way...if you want to really get deep...

".... I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion." -HDT

So to the point.... Hey OP, your stats must suck as bad as your attitude...

carpe diem

You have to take into consideration the enormous sacrifice made by those who live, and even end up practicing in Texas. It all balances out in the end.

What the ??

It is not an "enormous sacrifice" to live or practice in Texas. Yeh, it's just horrible working in one of those amazing hospitals on Main St in Houston.

What the ??

It is not an "enormous sacrifice" to live or practice in Texas. Yeh, it's just horrible working in one of those amazing hospitals on Main St in Houston.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was talking about the weather. It can be rough with the intense heat+humidity combo throughout most of Texas, or the intense heat+sand combo out West.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was talking about the weather. It can be rough with the intense heat+humidity combo throughout most of Texas, or the intense heat+sand combo out West.

While I admit that Houston's summer weather is high humiditiy, there are other parts of Texas with better weather (it's a very huge state). And, many areas of the country have times of awful weather...too hot, too cold, too icy, too gray.....and some areas have both...very cold winters and humid summers.

"intense heat+sand combo out West"

?? what? Where? the desert? Who's living in the desert?? lol Calif isnt' known for "intense heat and sand combo". Where are you talking about?

Princeton Med didn't make the top 50 either? This list is bogus.

Supposedly Princeton Med's diagnostician program director was the cause of a good amount of legal trouble. I'm guessing it has something to do with their surprisingly low ranking.

Yes, true(there is a table for that too! https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/2012factstable5.pdf). But some Californian's want to leave California...Ok maybe I am the only one :p

You are :)