What the heck!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueoceans3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about to venture into medical school...what the heck...

from reading these forums, talking to doctors, medicare, insurance companies, administration, ect

the medical field 'sucks'
medical school is great because you learn about what you like,
but you sacrifice your prime.

residency- you are now about 26, about 150-200k in debt, making 40-55k/yr for the next 3-6 years...

Doctor at 30-32: Hurray...now it begins...but then there are med school bills, wedding, honeymoon, house, kids, ect ect

I have always wanted to be a doctor and can not think of anything else. But when I look around ask students, residents, doctors ect how they are, how the feel about thier career...they just complain...

how can i be inspired? i love to travel, and yes i can do some volunteer work, rotations in international countries, but now time is limited forever. I am really getting jaded/cynical towards the field that I am going into.

I should be excited really enthusiastic to start, but im not looking forward to this....yes you can work out, but limited
yes you can go out, but limited
yes you will sacrifice your prime

Looking back on college to get to where I was (I had to work and study a lot, nothing comes to me naturally) I sacrificed to get a really high GPA. Looking back on it, I wish i partied was more social. But then my gpa would be lower. If I try that in medical school, maybe I might not match into the field i want...

Am I the only one that feels this way? I want to live life...not regret...

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. :clap: You discovered that medicine is a difficult path, wrought with lots of sacrifices, etc. I'm just surprised you didn't figure this out before you matriculated. Well, most of us decided that medicine was worth the sacrifices we might have to make along the way. If you don't think it is going to be worth it for you, then don't do it. You'll be much happier. There are other roles, professions, or jobs that demand much less.

However, don't get caught in the negativity. It is a tough journey, but this doesn't mean you can't take the time to savor life as you move forward along this rocky path. You just have to make a bit more effort to do so and manage your time better...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
woah woah...

i knew what i was getting myself into. no one said it was going to be easy. but the hopes were things would get better along the way. they do not seem to that is all.

chill w/ the pointless comments

Medicine as every job/profession has its load of crap to be dealt with but it doesn't mean you have sold your soul. You just have to adjust and make the most out of your free time. You also have to see that many premeds do not have job experiences prior to med school (by job I mean a real job with the responsibilities of performing at a high level and paying a mortgage etc, not a research job in undergrad). If any of us were to get a job you know that you would also have to bust a$$ in your early years and take crap from everyone as you are the lowest in the totem pole. Ask Law2Doc who actually has a previous job experience. My point is that nothing in life is perfect and you have to work hard for what you want be it medicine or not. I hope this helps.
PS- On the debt thing, sorry but I can't comment on that so bear in mind that I may be biased because of this.

Congratulations. :clap: You discovered that medicine is a difficult path, wrought with lots of sacrifices, etc. I'm just surprised you didn't figure this out before you matriculated. Well, most of us decided that medicine was worth the sacrifices we might have to make along the way. If you don't think it is going to be worth it for you, then don't do it. You'll be much happier. There are other roles, professions, or jobs that demand much less.

However, don't get caught in the negativity. It is a tough journey, but this doesn't mean you can't take the time to savor life as you move forward along this rocky path. You just have to make a bit more effort to do so and manage your time better...

This is a fairly honest and good post...On the other hand you will get some who are unconscientious.. Who maybe border on being devious who will blurt out its a piece of cake.. But they too are part of this unique medical saga..:thumbup:

If you don't think you will like it then quit, simple as that.

from reading these forums, talking to doctors, medicare, insurance companies, administration, ect

Well, what exactly are you comparing medicine to? Nursing? Investment banking? Selling real estate? Teaching biology? Working as a medical researcher? There is a tremendous amount of negativity and complaining in medicine, but it does have a lot to offer. Medicine does 'suck' in certain ways (as do other careers). Medicine might be getting 'worse' in certain ways (more paperwork, getting sued for something another physician did not have a good outcome on, getting sued because someone can't work now and needs money, more hours for less compensation, sicker / grumpy / disrespectful patients). The hours and stress level aren't what attracts students to this field. There is a tradition of personal sacrifice. However, there are positive things also. You get to learn some life-changing skills and there are some physician jobs that are well compensated as well (even if they are less common than they used to be). The unemployent rate among physicians is pretty low. If you make it through and are careful, you'll almost certainly find a job. If you have a better option, you might want to double check that you are on the best road for you. The field really does have a lot to offer in my opinion. The subject matter is interesting and relevant also. It is a lot of hard work for many years; I guess you realized that when you signed up.

Last edited:
Waaaambulance!!!!:lol:

wambulance.jpg

residency- you are now about 26, about 150-200k in debt, making 40-55k/yr for the next 3-6 years...

Doctor at 30-32: Hurray...now it begins...but then there are med school bills, wedding, honeymoon, house, kids, ect ect

You forgot divorce.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel/felt [every day is a different emotion] exactly the same way you do.

And then you go into a clinical setting and you see some sick kid with some yuck disease crying and miserable, and then you remember why you decided to do medicine.

Or maybe that sounds completely disgusting to you. But seriously, when you go into the clinical setting, you'll remember why you chose this path. Maybe start thinking of specialties that would really turn you on and lead you to your calling.

I don't want to sound disparaging like some of the other commentators, but yes, medicine is a huge sacrifice, and you better be ready. But if you love it as much as you probably do, you'll know that there is no other place you'd rather be.

Does that sound "Andy Griffith" enough or do I need to turn it up?

The things you seem to focus on are debt, residency salaries, and the time it takes. You are focused on wanting to travel, live your life, not sacrifice your prime. Guess what -- you goofed.

Medical school is expensive. The average person will borrow over $150k to go down this road, and there are quite a few for will get closer to a cool quarter mill in debt. And residency salaries aren't good. You may be earning low 40s for 3-7 years after med school. In a high cost of living area, that means living paycheck to paycheck and eating lots of PB&J. And when you consider the number of hours you will work in residency, that's really lower salary than most fast food workers. So yeah, it's tough. You should have known this going in, it's not exactly a state secret.

In terms of not sacrificing your prime, you could always have done what a lot of nontrads did -- do something else first, and come back to medicine when your prime is over and you are ready to get serious. Nobody told you you had to rush to med school before you were ready to buckle down. There is no such rule, and you are seeing more and more nontrads coming to medicine after having enjoyed their prime in other pastures.

Medicine doesn't $uck per se, but it will take up a ton of time, involve a lot of hard work, cost you a ton of sleep, and you won't earn decent money for many many years. If you enjoy the day to day career role and are ready to commit to such an intense path, and try to balance the rest of your life around this huge immovable piece, then perhaps you'll appreciate it. If you are focused on "losing your prime", not earning enough, running up debt, then yeah, you don't have the right mindset for medicine and probably should go do something else. Earn a few bucks, sow those wild oats, wrap up that prime you don't want to squander and "live life". Then maybe come back, or not. But the way your post unfolds, it's pretty clear you are going down this road at the wrong time in your life for you.

hold it, hold it, hold it

what's all this about missing the prime of life? i just turned 30 - the way i see it, i just entered my prime and i plan on plateauing here in my prime for the next 30 years or so. i'm in the best shape of my life and i plan on staying this way for many, many years. stay fit and exercise regularly - your prime is a choice and a mindset.:woot:

By now you should have figured out that your colleagues don't really care about how you "feel".

I have always wanted to be a doctor and can not think of anything else. But when I look around ask students, residents, doctors ect how they are, how the feel about thier career...they just complain...

how can i be inspired? i love to travel, and yes i can do some volunteer work, rotations in international countries, but now time is limited forever. I am really getting jaded/cynical towards the field that I am going into.

I should be excited really enthusiastic to start, but im not looking forward to this....yes you can work out, but limited

Looking back on college to get to where I was (I had to work and study a lot, nothing comes to me naturally) I sacrificed to get a really high GPA. Looking back on it, I wish i partied was more social. But then my gpa would be lower. If I try that in medical school, maybe I might not match into the field i want...

Here's the deal: life sucks, doesn't matter what you do. You will b1tch and moan about it. adults get up and go to work everyday anyway. if you want to live your life as a child, then go do that

You should be enthused that this is what you will get to do with your prime, not worried that you'll be missing out on stuff. I'll let you in on a little secret: "theres nothing to do." - Georgle Carlin.

I also get the sense that you have a childish worldview. A job is a job, thats why they call it a job. What did you think? That medicine was somehow the only job on the planet that's great fun all day every day?

jeezzz

just trying to get some feedback. Childish views...no...

i know a job is a job. Hows this...the system could be much much better.
I know that when I am 50 and have done 'good' in the world that I will feel that sense of 'accomplishment' or 'satisfaction' with my life.

A job is a job. All I was saying is that...its hard to look forward to the next 10 years when I am asking students, residents, and even attending how they like it and the consensus is no. Everyone complains about their jobs, there are cons to everything. People like to complain. Just saying there is a lot of negativity and it does not seem to be going in the right direction.

Most of the doctors that are truly happy are derms and rads.
I am ready to enter medicine, just not so enthusiastic about the route.

I understand how you feel....when you are at the beginning of a career choice that will take you 7-10 yrs to complete training, it can seem daunting and it is only natural to think "What the heck am I getting myself into?" But, contrary to what you seemed to have heard, it does get better along the way. First and second year are tough and it's easy to lose sight of where you're going because you really don't see patients and a lot of what you will learn seems kind of far removed from medical practice. I just started my fourth year and I can tell you from experience that third year is much better than the first two years. You will work very hard, that is true, but the clinical setting is still an amazing experience. From what I here, fourth year is even much better than third. As far as residency and afterward goes, I really don't have any personal experience there but I think that your practice can be what you make of it. Of course, common sense will tell you that if you choose to go into a certain fields you will always be working longer harder hours. On the other hand, you have the option of going into a primary care field, like peds or family med, that will allow you work daytime clinic hours with very little call if that's what you want.

As far as "missing your prime".....I don't think that is necessarily true. If you are going into med school single, don't lose all hope. I met my boyfriend during first year (he's in my class), and we started dating during second year. We are now getting ready to apply for couples match together and are talking about getting married. The bottom line is that the people you will meet in medical school are people with similar interests and career goals as you. They will make great friends and more. You don't have to put your life on hold for medical school. At least at my school, my class is very social and although everyone works really hard, we also have parties, happy hours, dinners, and all kinds of other activities. It isn't like you have to hide in a cave studying all the time.

And lastly, the debt. Unfortunately, there isn't too much to do about that. At my school they have a deal where you can have your tuition paid for if you agree to come back and practice in an underserved area of the state after residency for a few years. You may look into it to see if your school has some sort of program like that.

I hope this gives you some encouragement about the field you have chosen. I think that it's worth the sacrifice, but I also understand that isn't true of everyone. In all seriousness, if you do some serious thinking and are not sure that you are willing to make the sacrifice, I would think about deferring your admission for a year or simply not starting. At this point you don't have any debt yet. If you change your mind two years in, you'll still have to pay back two years worth of tuition and living expenses.

A job is a job. All I was saying is that...its hard to look forward to the next 10 years when I am asking students, residents, and even attending how they like it and the consensus is no. Everyone complains about their jobs, there are cons to everything. People like to complain. Just saying there is a lot of negativity and it does not seem to be going in the right direction.

I disagree. Saying "a job is a job" is a total cop out. Not all jobs are the same, and there are good and bad choices for each of us. Folks with college degrees and good credentials have choices. There are jobs that some people will enjoy more than others. I know folks in many jobs (including law, medicine, business) who truly love what they do. You have to pick the one that suits you best. You have a choice. The dude without an education pumping gas probably doesn't have a choice. That's who gets to say "a job's a job", live for the weekend, and whine about it. The person with smarts and schooling can't complain -- he has the ability to change things for himself, find something he doesn't hate. There are certainly cons in medicine, and if you didn't research and know the negatives coming in, that's probably your own foolishness. But either you weighed these factors and decided to proceed anyhow, in which case you cannot complain about them, or you neglected to do the research, in which case it's your own fault. If you don't like something, change it, don't whine. And don't take the cop out attitude that life sux regardless, because it ain't true. There is a best and a worst path for each of us. Sounds like maybe you picked poorly.

I disagree. Saying "a job is a job" is a total cop out. Not all jobs are the same, and there are good and bad choices for each of us. Folks with college degrees and good credentials have choices. There are jobs that some people will enjoy more than others. I know folks in many jobs (including law, medicine, business) who truly love what they do. You have to pick the one that suits you best. You have a choice. The dude without an education pumping gas probably doesn't have a choice. That's who gets to say "a job's a job", live for the weekend, and whine about it. The person with smarts and schooling can't complain -- he has the ability to change things for himself, find something he doesn't hate. There are certainly cons in medicine, and if you didn't research and know the negatives coming in, that's probably your own foolishness. But either you weighed these factors and decided to proceed anyhow, in which case you cannot complain about them, or you neglected to do the research, in which case it's your own fault. If you don't like something, change it, don't whine. And don't take the cop out attitude that life sux regardless, because it ain't true. There is a best and a worst path for each of us. Sounds like maybe you picked poorly.

hear hear

I feel compelled to write to you because your post reminds me of my train of thought about a year ago. This is what I realized, maybe this will help you.
I picked this career before I had all the info. I don't have any family members in the field so I really didn't know how it worked. I thought that you went to medical school, then got a job where you get a ton of respect and a ton of money. Haha WRONG! I found out about not making much money right away and stuff like that slowly, usually when people were trying to discourage me, so I pretended I already knew and was fine with it. But really, as I thought more about it, it doesn't bother me. I hate boring jobs and I could never imagine myself doing one. If I lived for the weekend, I'd need a waaambulance every five minutes. It's because this career is challenging that its rewarding.
Also, I'm not a psychologist or anything, but you seem like the type who is always waiting for life to start. I'll be happy when I'm done studying for this midterm, or when I get accepted to school, or when I start making lots of money. Congratulations, you just realized that "I'll be happy when..." doesn't work. That's good news, now you don't have to have midlife crisis when you've realized that you are never happy and don't know how to be! The sooner you have this realization, the better and I don't think the other posters gave you enough credit for that. It's a hard concept, especially when you don't have much time to just think about things...
What are you expecting to happen when you finally "get there?" You are a well-established doctor. You are making money, and your house is paid off. But the guy who graduated from Harvard in the office next door does more procedures than you. He gets published more often. He has a better receptionist. You keep getting screwed out of things at work because of office politics, and also because your receptionist keeps forgetting to remind you about meetings, unlike Dr. Harvard's receptionist. Your house needs repainting - they screw it up and overcharge you. Your child has a learning disability. Do you see where I'm going with this? There is no such place as "there" except to be satisfied and fulfilled with where you are now.
I realized this when I was studying for an ochem test. People were running through the halls screaming "Thirsty Thursday!!!! Kegger on 3!" , and I was on my third latte, doing aldol condensation problems. And I thought to myself, my God it doesn't get better than this...and it never will. And when I say it doesn't get better, I mean that I was already as happy in that moment as I ever could be, because I love what I do. Even right now, I told my best friend I'd call her back an hour ago, but instead I'm writing this ridiculously long post to a complete stranger in hopes that I can help you. I might not be happy (because I'm kind of hungry and have to pee) but I'm satisfied.
So, what is it going to be, aldol condensations or kegger on 3? Your satisfaction with life is a mindset, not a set of favorable conditions.

Last edited:
OP, I'd like to share my personal experience with you, hope it helps.

See, like every man out there, I like big boobs. Long story short, I met this girl with the most perfect tities I have ever seen. Nice huge, round, symmetrical boobs on a very petite frame. So I decide I was going to do whatever it takes to get some of that. After 3 months of hardcore playa maneuvering, I finally got her to date me. Things were going perfectly until I finally got to see them tities up close and personal. Dude, believe it or not, she has hairy nipples. WTF, hairy mutha ****in nipples, excuse my language but that's how I felt. I am not even going to talk about her attitude, I'm talking biotch by every standard. She made me bust my tail for three months just for some hairy nipples?

Now this is the strange part of this situation; I have received lots of props from my friends and some enemies for landing such a hot chick, and when she has her shirt on she looks smoking hot. When we walk down the street, I see guys wishing they were in my shoes. So I can't really dump her, because once again, I like boobs, and even though she got hairy nipples, I don't want anybody else taking my position as the owner of these supposedly perfect boobs. Who knows, maybe some day she might decide to wax them nipples, and change her attitude. Never thought I'd say this but I am stuck with them tities:eek:, and I am thinking you might just be in the same predicament with medicine.

See, like every man out there, I like big boobs. Long story short, I met this girl with the most perfect tities I have ever seen. Nice huge, round, symmetrical boobs on a very petite frame. So I decide I was going to do whatever it takes to get some of that. After 3 months of hardcore playa maneuvering, I finally got her to date me. Things were going perfectly until I finally got to see them tities up close and personal. Dude, believe it or not, she has hairy nipples. WTF, hairy mutha ****in nipples, excuse my language but that’s how I felt. I am not even going to talk about her attitude, I’m talking biotch by every standard. She made me bust my tail for three months just for some hairy nipples?

Now this is the strange part of this situation; I have received lots of props from my friends and some enemies for landing such a hot chick, and when she has her shirt on she looks smoking hot. When we walk down the street, I see guys wishing they were in my shoes. So I can’t really dump her, because once again, I like boobs, and even though she got hairy nipples, I don’t want anybody else taking my position as the owner of these supposedly perfect boobs. Who knows, maybe some day she might decide to wax them nipples, and change her attitude. Never thought I’d say this but I am stuck with them tities:eek:, and I am thinking you might just be in the same predicament with medicine.

QFT:thumbup:

See, like every man out there, I like big boobs. Long story short, I met this girl with the most perfect tities I have ever seen. Nice huge, round, symmetrical boobs on a very petite frame. So I decide I was going to do whatever it takes to get some of that. After 3 months of hardcore playa maneuvering, I finally got her to date me. Things were going perfectly until I finally got to see them tities up close and personal. Dude, believe it or not, she has hairy nipples. WTF, hairy mutha ****in nipples, excuse my language but that’s how I felt. I am not even going to talk about her attitude, I’m talking biotch by every standard. She made me bust my tail for three months just for some hairy nipples?

Now this is the strange part of this situation; I have received lots of props from my friends and some enemies for landing such a hot chick, and when she has her shirt on she looks smoking hot. When we walk down the street, I see guys wishing they were in my shoes. So I can’t really dump her, because once again, I like boobs, and even though she got hairy nipples, I don’t want anybody else taking my position as the owner of these supposedly perfect boobs. Who knows, maybe some day she might decide to wax them nipples, and change her attitude. Never thought I’d say this but I am stuck with them tities:eek:, and I am thinking you might just be in the same predicament with medicine.

Hahahahaha. I died laughing. :laugh:

thanks nell that does help.

LMAO..hairy nipples...omg...
solution...shave while she sleeps :laugh:

Some of your complaints you mention after becoming a doctor: having kids, honeymoon, getting married, and debt are pretty common to most professionals or even most people. Only you will be making a solid 6 figure salary at this point.

Medicine does require you to devote a lot of time to it but if you will really enjoy the field you go into it will be worth it. There are a lot of redeeming qualities about medicine and those are probably the reasons you went in: helping others, interest in science/research, doing things most people can't (surgery, intubate etc) and of course once you're done the pay is pretty good and job security is pretty much guaranteed. ( yeah maybe foreign radiologists could do tele radiology or CRNA might hone in on anesthesiologists, but MDs will always be in demand)

I have sown my oats in a large field. Got my first couple of degrees and first career out of the way and all that the OP mentions in order to enter med school in my early 30's. And I'm truly excited because there's nowhere I'd rather be right now, and frankly, long hours and lower pay for a training period leading to autonomy wins over my now-previous career. I know there's a silver lining.

The only thing I didn't do was have kids, but fortunately I have a supportive husband who will do what it takes when the time comes for me to pop one out.

Well if you want I can take your spot.. no regret for you and I am happily in med-school. Hmmmm.... just think about it :)

All I was saying is that...its hard to look forward to the next 10 years when I am asking students, residents, and even attending how they like it and the consensus is no. Everyone complains about their jobs, there are cons to everything. People like to complain. Just saying there is a lot of negativity and it does not seem to be going in the right direction.

Most of the doctors that are truly happy are derms and rads.

I am a pediatric specialist. I am "truly happy" with my career and grateful for the opportunities medicine has given me. I have absolutely no regrets about my career choices, including the decision to take a very much lower salary by virtue of choosing academic medicine in my field.

I know a large number of pediatricians (general and specialists) who are satisfied with their jobs and whom I believe to be "truly happy" whatever that means. Most do not post on SDN and few if any come into daily contact with pre-meds. When you are in med school, look around a bit and really talk to physicians in different specialties. However, I would say that if you are really in this much doubt right now, perhaps deferring for a year would be a good idea?

BTW, although I usually don't like such things, Sirus_Virus' story was excellent. :thumbup:

OP -

I know how it goes. Whenever I asked doctors/med students/residents if they would do everything over again, 4 out of 5 said no. It freaked me the hell out. But I looked at the reasons for their dissatisfaction: Some wanted to be stay-at-home parents (as a former nanny, I know there is no way I would choose to do that). Some wanted to make tons of money out of college (go into investment banking). Some were looking for 'permanent job security' (uuuugh). Some just figured that there was no other career option for a smart person who is scientifically inclined (PhD, anyone?). Some thought that they would get a "golly gee, thanks for saving my life, Doc!" from every patient (instead of the more likely "You're charging me WHAT? Thieves! All of you!") If you come in with unrealistic goals, then yes, you might find yourself disillusioned.

I tried to think of something besides medicine that I would rather do. I came up with some thoughts, but the reality was that nothing else gets me all tingly feeling. Yeah, it'll take me a hell of a lot longer to make actual money that my friends who graduated from commerce schools, but there is no way in Hades you could get me interested in banking and the stock market. (Yes, I skip the business pages in the newspaper.)

There are people who make the best of things, and people who will always dwell on that little crack in the ceiling. I myself just cross my fingers and hope the ceiling will hold out long enough for me to study one more night of neuro and to grab a mojito soon thereafter.

Don't tell me I'm wasting my prime, I'm having a blast.

Your pessimism going in won't help you.

Yep.. But you have to look at it as a "I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing" sort of thing. How cool is that? Many people dream of doing medicine as a career, but never get the chance to do it. You're a lucky guy (or girl?)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am a pediatric specialist. I am "truly happy" with my career and grateful for the opportunities medicine has given me. I have absolutely no regrets about my career choices, including the decision to take a very much lower salary by virtue of choosing academic medicine in my field.

I know a large number of pediatricians (general and specialists) who are satisfied with their jobs and whom I believe to be "truly happy" whatever that means. Most do not post on SDN and few if any come into daily contact with pre-meds. When you are in med school, look around a bit and really talk to physicians in different specialties. However, I would say that if you are really in this much doubt right now, perhaps deferring for a year would be a good idea?

BTW, although I usually don't like such things, Sirus_Virus' story was excellent. :thumbup:

Pretty much every pediatrician I've met loves being a pediatrician, and that's awesome. I think that there are a lot of happy physicians (certainly the majority), its just that a lot of them don't post on SDN. Look.. medicine is a great field, but like everything else, it has its downsides. You have to take the bad with the good (to pull the best cliche' phrase I can)

Then again, many of us have made major commitments to the field, and might find it hard to commiserate with you. In a way, we say what we have to say to be able to sleep at night.

But everyone in every career does that. The difference is that in this one you don't have to stretch the imagination as hard to convince yourself that your chosen profession makes a difference in people's lives.

when i read this i became quite annoyed...there are literally thousands of students who are on waitlists or rejected this year DYING to be in your shoes...be thankful or give your spot to someone else

this career IS sacrifice...you put the lives of others above your own...so if that means you have to sacrifice your prime then so be it. no one said this field was easy...

im sorry if that seemed harsh but your statement seemed way out of place

i refuse to believe that you JUST figured this out right before you're about to matriculate.

Well, there are med students who are enthusiastic about school and merrily do their work; appreciative, nice, etc. Then there are some who you can't figure out why they are there, never show up unless it's required, hate school, complain incessantly about everything, and perform very well when there is a grade involved but give less than 0% beyond that.

Similarly, not every physician is going have a smile on their face when they are doing paperwork or taking call. One of the best physicians I worked with hated her job and couldn't imagine why anyone could like the work. She was nice but you could tell she resented students a little bit as well because they slowed her down and only tolerated them because she had to. Patients far and wide coveted the opportunity to have her as their physician because she was excellent at what she did. She solved their problems and was very personable with them. She had the people and problem solving skills and was very very fast and efficient. I thought I learned a lot from watching her with patients. She was tough to work with because she caught every boo boo you ever made; nothing got past her. She had little or no patience when it came to teaching. She expected you to do everything perfectly the first time. She expected a lot and was difficult to please. Working with her was a good learning experience, but not fun and games.

Maybe she picked the wrong career because she totally hates her job and is stressed out/miserable/trapped in it, but, ironically, she has made a huge difference in her patient's lives. Would she be happier doing something else? I'm not sure; I get the impression that for some people complaining is part of their personality ... not really dependent on their circumstances. The way I see it, you can hate medicine and still do very well. I wish I could say she is the only one I have met that's like this, but there are others ... others who are very good at what they do but seem to be grumpy. The way some of these physicians talk you would think they lived in a cardboard box and their kids were panhandling for food (far from the truth). Maybe it's the perfectionism. I'm not sure, but there is a ton of complaining that goes on in medicine. It's part of the deal for some but just because someone really would rather not go through the sacrifice of med school doesn't mean they aren't going to be a very good student and do very well as a physician. It's probably a warning sign when it comes to career satisfaction. It does probably lower the odds of being successful a bit, but it's not the only factor. I really like medical school and look forward to practicing, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to outperform someone who can't wait to go home, just wants to do the minimum to honor an exam, figures out the quickest effective way to treat a patient's illness or maybe is mostly just in this field to earn a high wage. I'll enjoy what I'm doing more, but that's really the only guarantee.

Last edited:

1- You should have researched all this as a pre-med student, NOT after getting accepted!

2- You say you want no regrets and you want to live life, and I can tell you that many med students feel like they WILL have regrets if they didn't become doctors, if they didn't devote their life to help others live theirs... So it depends how you think of it. If you think you are wasting your prime years, your mindset will make you miserable sooner than it should.

3- You will turn 33 anyways, and tell me, would you rather be able to say I spent the last decade of my life partying and now I am just doing some lame a$$ job, or would you like to say I'm done training, now it's time to live life AND get to do what a very select few can do... be a doctor.

Maybe that will add some perspective, and if it doesn't you still have time to change your mind before you cash that first loan check!

3- You will turn 33 anyways, and tell me, would you rather be able to say I spent the last decade of my life partying and now I am just doing some lame a$$ job, or would you like to say I'm done training, now it's time to live life AND get to do what a very select few can do... be a doctor.

i will get the luxury of saying this at 43 instead of 33 ;)

but my goal is to look 33 at 43 LOL!!!!!!!!!

IMO this is part of becoming an adult. Any professional field you go into will be the same. And you will realize it's really not that bad.

Right...

I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Sure you can't go out and drink yourself into a stupor every night of every weekend, but beyond that... if you manage your time well, you should be able to at least live some sort of a life.