Just saw Charting Outcomes 2022 - and holy heck do IMGs have it rough!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Oh. My. God. I never realized that IMGs were so screwed when it came to matching. Even FM had only a 58% match rate amongst US IMGs and 47% match rare amongst FMGs. Meanwhile DOs were at 97%. That’s insane - especially when you consider how many people think going Carib is worth it (compared to DO) due to having the MD label.

Quick question: are most people being dismissed from residency those who are IMGs and FMGs?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Ya... and that match percentage is only those who manage to not get dismissed somewhere along the way. The percentage of students who eventually match out of all students who matriculate at a Caribbean school is much lower.

Don't go to the Caribbean.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean, when you think about it. You have a choice: either get "filtered out" of medicine/rejected when applying to med school, or get an auto approval to a Carib school and delay that filter/risk of rejection until you're in $300k of debt.

I wish them luck, but I also hope they all had clear expectations going into this.

Members don't see this ad :)
But…but… one of them is the main source of residencies in the US… so they say…

But…but… one of them is the main source of residencies in the US… so they say…
I mean if you admit 10-15 times more students than any US schools, even with 50-60% attrition rate, I wouldn't expect anything less from said caribbean school. The question is where do those people match? and what specialties do they go into?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I mean if you admit 10-15 times more students than any US schools, even with 50-60% attrition rate, I wouldn't expect anything less from said caribbean school. The question is where do those people match? and what specialties do the go into?
I always thought that what they meant was “#1 source to US residencies” and skipped the part saying “compared to other Caribbean schools…”

Doesn’t really matter.

I always thought that what they meant was “#1 source to US residencies” and skipped the part saying “compared to other Caribbean schools…”

Doesn’t really matter.
afaik no those schools match like 300 people a year to residencies, but considering they accept like 600 compared to most schools being like 100-200 not surprising

Oh. My. God. I never realized that IMGs were so screwed when it came to matching. Even FM had only a 58% match rate amongst US IMGs and 47% match rare amongst FMGs. Meanwhile DOs were at 97%. That’s insane - especially when you consider how many people think going Carib is worth it (compared to DO) due to having the MD label.
Nothing new to me
Quick question: are most people being dismissed from residency those who are IMGs and FMGs?
I don't know the answer to that, but it sure seems like the majority of posts in the Residency forum entitled "Help! Failed to match!" or "Help! Dismissed from residency!" are from IMGs

yeah but they dont have as much loans as you do in US. Most med schools in China and Phillipines, I think their cost of medical school is likely around cheap around 20k USD equivalent for all 5 years of med school. If they get residency here, its like lottery.

yeah but they dont have as much loans as you do in US. Most med schools in China and Phillipines, I think their cost of medical school is likely around cheap around 20k USD equivalent for all 5 years of med school. If they get residency here, its like lottery.
This thread is mostly talking about IMGs (most specifically US-IMGs) not FMGs. US-IMGs are americans who can't get in medical school here in the US and decided to pursue medical school overseas (most go to the caribbean) with hope of getting into residency back here. Those caribbean school tuitions are as expensive or even more expensive then US Med schools with student graduating with 400K+ in federal loans.

Last edited: