What the minimum stats for a DO to match Allo rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daelroy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that an Allo rad can match with lower board scores 230+ and not necessarily AOA. I know that DO's require higher stats to be competitive much like an IMG. Provided of course, the DO has decent interviewing skills and LOR's what would you say are the DO required stats to match allo rads?

Are we talking 240+ on Step I and II and a class rank of no less than 40? (DO's don't have AOA) Obviously, the higher the stats the better but would you say is the minimum for a DO to aquire an interview?

Give it to me straight guys. The more brutal the better.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone here can answer your question in any specific way; no one is going to say, "Well, a DO needs to have a 245 and be in the top 10% of his/her class." Besides, though radiology is pretty numbers-driven these days, your application is a lot more than a board score and class rank.

And what is it you really want to know? If you want to go into radiology, you should do everything you can to improve your chances of matching, and then you should apply. Are there programs that won't even look at a DO's app? Probably. For the places that will look at your app, are there those where being a DO will be at a disadvantage? Certainly. But if your board scores are respectable (above the mean, say) and there's evidence from your school that you'll do well clinically, you can probably put together an app that has a decent chance.

If you're hoping to match this year (to start in 2006), you're probably pretty late. If you're hoping to match for 2007, then start getting serious about forming your application. Do a bunch of legwork; meet a lot of radiologists. Find out about doing away rotations in your 4th year. Get a research project and some publications. Most importantly, get an advisor who can look at your whole picture and help you strategize about putting together an application that'll get you in.

Good luck.

ears said:
I doubt anyone here can answer your question in any specific way; no one is going to say, "Well, a DO needs to have a 245 and be in the top 10% of his/her class." Besides, though radiology is pretty numbers-driven these days, your application is a lot more than a board score and class rank.

And what is it you really want to know? If you want to go into radiology, you should do everything you can to improve your chances of matching, and then you should apply. Are there programs that won't even look at a DO's app? Probably. For the places that will look at your app, are there those where being a DO will be at a disadvantage? Certainly. But if your board scores are respectable (above the mean, say) and there's evidence from your school that you'll do well clinically, you can probably put together an app that has a decent chance.

If you're hoping to match this year (to start in 2006), you're probably pretty late. If you're hoping to match for 2007, then start getting serious about forming your application. Do a bunch of legwork; meet a lot of radiologists. Find out about doing away rotations in your 4th year. Get a research project and some publications. Most importantly, get an advisor who can look at your whole picture and help you strategize about putting together an application that'll get you in.

Good luck.

Hey Ear

Thanks for the response. Well, you didn't tell me anything I didn't know but it was advice that I needed to hear. I just should do my best and see what happens. I think DO's could answer this question better. What I'm trying to know iis if my middle of the class rank will hurt me. For an allo candidate with great scores it doesn't matter. But every DO who matches in allo rads seems to be ranked in the top 10% of the class. Those allo programs are community based that has interviewed FMG's in the past. If that's the case, then I think I should focus on osteo residencies. It's just that I want to remain in my hometown and they only have allo residencies there.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed @ 12 allo residencies w/ a 240 Step 1. Matched @ community program which was my #1 choice. Ranked in top 10% of my class but was never asked this at interviews. 99%ile COMLEX Step 1. Remember that board scores are only part of your application and that your application only gets you an interview. Your interview will determine how the program will rank you. Try to: get involved in some research, publish case studies, network yourself, and do out rotations where you have a strong interest.

Hey just a quick question. I keep hearing everyone say "do some research, get published...etc." How exactly do I go about doing that?

I've done some research, all basic science boring stuff, that did not lead to any publications. Where and how can I get research in radiology? There?s nothing here on campus, so im assuming id have to wait until my third year. How in your third year do you have time for that when you are doing rotations in everything else but radiology? Also more that likely I will be doing different rotations at different hospitals so it will be hard to get any form of continuity with any one rads department. Sorry im freaking out alittle bit. Also about what percentage of DO's do you think choose to apply for rads?

Cowboy,
how bout the anatomy fellowship? u get research time. I know a few people who were our fellows did rads research.

Too late for that now, although I did really well in anatomy I didnt get a TA position (which is almost madatory for the fellowship). Plus the idea of an extra year really turns me off.