What things are off-limits with admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgiapparatus88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've recently become really active in reading all the threads on this forum. I love it!

I've read that the way you act to the admissions dept. can actually have an effect on you if you treat them poorly or annoy them. My question is, what is off limits when it comes to applying and dealing with the admissions department. I don't want to screw myself by doing something stupid :p

Thanks guys,

David

Members don't see this ad.

Really just follow common sense. Adhear to societal norms and you should be fine. So wear a conservative suit, no inappropriate jokes ect.

wearing an obama pin

Members don't see this ad :)
anything covered by a bathing suit

if you treat them poorly or annoy them.
Um, why would you ever do this, though?

You'd think the first ~20 years of life would've taught you how to interact with other people.

I had an interviewer wear one of these. It took a lot of willpower not to ask about it.

because you're expecting a unique answer to "why are you wearing that?" or what?

I would call admissions and leave my phone # with them to give to my student interviewer them if she was drop dead gorgeous. On the other hand, i would've asked at the end of the interview:

Her: Well thank you for coming today--
You: Hey give me your phone number (***hands her cell phone***). When I come here next year, you can show me some of the bars and buy me a couple drinks. (winning smile)

Yeah yeah so I posted that in another thread just now but its a great line and it works. Usually you have to pay someone for that type of material. :thumbup::laugh:

I would call admissions and leave my phone # with them to give to my student interviewer them if she was drop dead gorgeous. On the other hand, i would've asked at the end of the interview:

Her: Well thank you for coming today--
You: Hey give me your phone number (***hands her cell phone***). When I come here next year, you can show me some of the bars and buy me a couple drinks. (winning smile)

Yeah yeah so I posted that in another thread just now but its a great line and it works. Usually you have to pay someone for that type of material. :thumbup::laugh:

Do I even need to say it?

Haha. One of my student hosts was drop dead gorgeous and I wanted to ask for her number so badly but sadly I did not. Thankfully, I later found out she was married.:laugh:

Haha. One of my student hosts was drop dead gorgeous and I wanted to ask for her number so badly but sadly I did not. Thankfully, I later found out she was married.:laugh:

You: Let me get your number (hands her cell phone)
Her: Sorry but uh... I have a husband...
You: That's cool, he can buy you nice things when you're away from me.

then she'll give it to you :thumbup:

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You: Let me get your number (hands her cell phone)
Her: Sorry but uh... I have a husband...
You: That's cool, he can buy you nice things when you're away from me.

then she'll give it to you :thumbup:

:laugh:
*dies*

You win 5000 internets.

Haha, talk about leaving a first impression. With my luck, her hubby would be sitting on the admissions board.

Haha, talk about leaving a first impression. With my luck, her hubby would be sitting on the admissions board.

Even if he was, I bet most girls wouldn't tell him... least until after the process is over. Even if you do get rejected but you play it off with humor and fun it wouldn't be a big deal. Unless the girl is a complete b-----

It would make for a great update letter to a school.

Dear College of X Admissions Committee,

Since my interview at your institution, I have had an excellent relationship with one of your fellow students. I believe one of your committee members may know her very well in fact....

.....rest assured, I will continue to bulk up on my clinical experiences with this student. The student is even helping me with my coursework. We are very deep into Anatomy currently....

Signed,

Student X

P.S. If this student is representative of the entire student "body", consider this a letter of intent.

It would make for a great update letter to a school.

Dear College of X Admissions Committee,

Since my interview at your institution, I have had an excellent relationship with one of your fellow students. I believe one of your committee members may know her very well in fact....

.....rest assured, I will continue to bulk up on my clinical experiences with this student. The student is even helping me with my coursework. We are very deep into Anatomy currently....

Signed,

Student X

P.S. If this student is representative of the entire student "body", consider this a letter of intent.
...intent to get busaaaaaaayyyy

giggity

Heh, a tour guide asked me for my number, she wanted to "stay in touch on whether if I'll be coming to this school" :)

She was probably just being nice though.

Also, alot of interviewees and I exchanged emails at several interviews, I'm guessing it's fairly common?

You definitely have an "in" at that school. You have an obligation to keep her updated.

You definitely have an "in" at that school.

Quite the opposite, I'm waitlisted :(

Perhaps because I denied her request... I only gave her my email.

Tell me you have at least called her?

Tell me you have at least called her?

Oh, maybe if I don't have an acceptance to any schools by Valentines Day :D

I don't even have her number, might have her email, I don't even remember her first name the interview was 2 months ago

A+ Thread! :thumbup:

Agreed. I'm semi-pro at driving threads off topic. I suck at directions, hence my mother insists on driving me to my interviews so I don't "hurt myself" and more importantly "ruin her car"

I really need to buy a car soon :)

Agreed. I'm semi-pro at driving threads off topic. I suck at directions, hence my mother insists on driving me to my interviews so I don't "hurt myself" and more importantly "ruin her car"

You should totally tell more people that. Especially the tour guide.

The ideal situation would be that you have multiple acceptances that you could leverage against her. Repeatedly.

You should totally tell more people that. Especially the tour guide.

I do. It's reserved for those crazy girls trying to buy me drinks while I'm trying to just watch the football games at a sports bar. I tell them that I'm under 21, and if they keep bugging me I tell them that I'm a senior at the local high school :D

works wonders

If she called you up (because she has your number, right?) and said she had a sure fire way for you to get off a waitlist but you had to meet her at her apartment, would you go?

I do. It's reserved for those crazy girls trying to buy me drinks while I'm trying to just watch the football games at a sports bar. I tell them that I'm under 21, and if they keep bugging me I tell them that I'm a senior at the local high school :D

works wonders
Like a magic wand.

Ok, innuendo time!

The ideal situation would be that you have multiple acceptances that you could leverage against her. Repeatedly.

All it will take is one acceptance call, and I will enjoy the pleasure of letting her know (if I have her email) that, sadly, I will not be able to engage in orientation week bonding activities with her :)

If she called you up (because she has your number, right?) and said she had a sure fire way for you to get off a waitlist but you had to meet her at her apartment, would you go?

Dripping with innuendo.

I never gave her my number, she never even emailed me either.

And this is steering more and more off topic....

In response to the OP's question, just be polite, greet the office staff, thank them, etc

Haha. Yeah my parents didn't trust me with their car back in the day either. I drove a car for the first time ever in driver's ED since my dad wouldn't practice with me. The instructor didn't know so we went on the highway. Good times.

I'm sure it happens a lot glory. I mean, men who don't know directions and have their mom drive them to interviews are prob in high demand these days :D

You never gave her your number!? Sigh...that must be why you are on a waitlist. It is never too late. Email her immediately!

Dear Ms. Forgotyourname,

First of all, I would like to thank you for guiding me on a tour of the medical school and the hospital. If I recall correctly, you expressed interest in my cellphone number. I was under tremendous stress at the time due to intensive interview related activities; my neuronal epilepsy led to my refusing to appease to your request. I now realize the opportunity that was lost, and hope that it is not too late to offer you my cellphone number : (123) 456-7890. If at all possible, please attach this email message to my application for considerations by the admissions committee.

Also, my memories are fuzzy and I no longer remember all details of the tour. If you are not busy next Wednesday, would it be possible for us to meet for a bonus session, so that my memories can be rekindled?

Thank you and I look forward to bonding with you during orientation week,

Glory Field

Last edited:
why would you not take the number of some older med student girl showing you around the school? I would love to hook up with some girl who goes to med school. All I ever go after is girls with IQs under 100... sometimes they even get me to enter into a relationship with them which always ends up in a train wreck

Perfect! But you better hope she is forgiving.

Also, I realize this thread has been hijacked but I think the OP's question has been answered. But to stay somewhat on topic:

Obviously, it is off-limits to sleep with admissions staff, right?

But what if it could get you an acceptance?

Then it is certainly fair game. If you ask me, you kill two birds with one stone. :thumbup:

Do any of you guys think that sexual misconduct actually occurs sometimes in the admissions process? I mean, can we ever really know? I smell a TV series.

Grey's Anatomy: The Pre-Med years.

why would you not take the number of some older med student girl showing you around the school? I would love to hook up with some girl who goes to med school. All I ever go after is girls with IQs under 100... sometimes they even get me to enter into a relationship with them which always ends up in a train wreck

Because I figured if she was really interested, she could of just asked me out... We probably live 10 mins away from each other (I live 5 mins away from the hospital). So I gave her my email instead.

Also, I realize this thread has been hijacked but I think the OP's question has been answered. But to stay somewhat on topic:

Then it is certainly fair game. If you ask me, you kill two birds with one stone. :thumbup:

Do any of you guys think that sexual misconduct actually occurs sometimes in the admissions process? I mean, can we ever really know? I smell a TV series.

*death*

I can't even begin to imagine....

Because I figured if she was really interested, she could of just asked me out... We probably live 10 mins away from each other (I live 5 mins away from the hospital). So I gave her my email instead.

Or she saw you as a potential mate that would be very successful in a few years. If I was a golddigger looking to hook up, a tour guide at a med school is a pretty decent job.

Maybe at Stanford. Christina Yang probably dated her undergrad professor/TA :laugh:

If I didn't know any better I would say that Glory Field is humbly tooting his own horn, and the rest of you are in internet-awe of the revolutionary ringleader ALA a group of high school sophomores looking up to the first guy in the class that got laid.

Good thing I know better ;)

If I didn't know any better I would say that Glory Field is humbly tooting his own horn, and the rest of you are in internet-awe of the revolutionary ringleader ALA a group of high school sophomores looking up to the first guy in the class that got laid.

Good thing I know better ;)

My e-Go bubble has been burst:oops:

Girls aren't usually that forward. They're passive-aggressive. She asks for your number to "check up with you on your entrance status"
translation: "You give me your phone number and then ask me for mine."
Then she sits back and wants you to text her and gradually build up enough rapport to ask her out.