What to ask during rejected app feedback appointment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrontoPronto

rise and grind
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I was unsuccessful this 20-21 cycle, but was recently able to get an opportunity to get feedback on my application from a school I was rejected from (pre-II). The appointment is 30 mins long with the director of admissions. For anyone who has had similar appointments, what did you ask? I have a few questions written (about my essays, LOR quality) but does anyone have any additional advice on what I should ask? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I was unsuccessful this 20-21 cycle, but was recently able to get an opportunity to get feedback on my application from a school I was rejected from (pre-II). The appointment is 30 mins long with the director of admissions. For anyone who has had similar appointments, what did you ask? I have a few questions written (about my essays, LOR quality) but does anyone have any additional advice on what I should ask? Thank you in advance!
What feedback do you have for me? What can I do to improve my application and chances of acceptance?

Reactions: 1 users
I've had a couple of these appointments so far. I asked about general feedback on my app, essays, writing. Didn't directly ask about LORs because of writer privacy. In my experience, how useful the appointment is will depend on how open the adcom is willing to be. Because of liability issues, their advice may be really general if you have no obvious red flags (low GPA, MCAT, 0 clinical exposure).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your responses! The thing is that they are asking us to submit specific questions a week in advance, so I am assuming that they will actually go through my application. I guess I'll just submit these and a few other questions I had about my writing quality and activities, and see where the conversation goes. They might suggest something from their end and bring up something I didn't think of.

Reactions: 1 user