What to bring to the interview ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides a notebook and pen what else do I need to bring for interview day? Do I need to bring my resume or essays or anything like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, just bring your confidence and your pearly whites. You can also just leave those annoying nerves at home, they won't really help you much anyways. Good luck!

No, the interviewer will have them if its open file and if not, it's to get you to talk w/o you or them relying on a resume.

Other things I would consider is gum or mints if you drink coffee before the interview or if the interview is after lunch (but toss the gum before the interview) and a bottle of water. Bring it with you if your interview is first thing or buy one at lunch if its later in the day.

**and by interview I mean when you actually have your one-on-one interview**

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm bringing copies of my research and my resume. Better safe then sorry; it takes 5 minutes to print everything so why not?

Besides a notebook and pen what else do I need to bring for interview day? Do I need to bring my resume or essays or anything like that?

Check the school's website. Some schools don't care and others mind if you bring something else. You don't want to bring the wrong baggage on a ride.

What kind of writing surface should we bring that would be the most convenient?

Or is bringing writing material & utensil necessary at all?

What kind of writing surface should we bring that would be the most convenient?

Or is bringing writing material & utensil necessary at all?

Dude, way overthinking this. Most people bring a leather folio if they bring something. I would suggest that as you won't look as ridiculous as bringing just a legal bad or a binder.

I found having a pen and paper helpful at times because I could write some stuff down, but really it was more for show than anything else. I don't like having empty hands.

Make sure you have copies of your MCAT score report.

I'm kidding in the case it wasn't obvious. And someone would probably take it seriously.

(sent from my phone)

If you hadn't added that second line, I'm certain lots of people would have brought it along with them. :laugh:

I don't like having empty hands.

That's definitely the case for me during interviews as well. I feel awkward if I'm not holding something. I just carried a folio around. Some school will give you a packet of information during the beginning of the day too, so in all likelihood you'll be forced to carry something anyway.

If you're a guy no worries. Maybe some floss or gum or something in case you interview after you eat.

I get the impression that you're a dude, but just in case any girls read this thread and want suggestions, here's my list:

Clear nail polish to stop runs in pantyhose (possibly an entire extra pair)
Extra heel pads for shoes
Pair of flats to change into for tours
Makeup for touch-ups
Tiny sewing kit in case something gets snagged/button falls off
Bobby pins
Dental floss

I've never actually needed any of this stuff (besides the bobby pins), but I bring it anyway just to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you have copies of your MCAT score report.

Didn't read the rest of your post, but is it really necessary to bring a copy of our MCAT score report if we wear a T-shirt to the interview that has our score and breakdown along with the percentiles printed on it?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a guy no worries. Maybe some floss or gum or something in case you interview after you eat.

I get the impression that you're a dude, but just in case any girls read this thread and want suggestions, here's my list:

Clear nail polish to stop runs in pantyhose (possibly an entire extra pair)
Extra heel pads for shoes
Pair of flats to change into for tours
Makeup for touch-ups
Tiny sewing kit in case something gets snagged/button falls off
Bobby pins
Dental floss

I've never actually needed any of this stuff (besides the bobby pins), but I bring it anyway just to be safe.
Being a girl seems way too difficult.

I have just brought an my driver's license to every interview so far. Some of them have asked for us to bring it for check in. Other than that every place I have been has given us some sort of folder to write in and a writing utensil. So other than your ID I would say nothing else is imperative but I have seen a lot of people bring a folio like NickNaylor said just not necessary unless you want to.

Bring a leather folio with Prestigious University embossed in large print. Be sure to point it outwards so everyone knows you went to a Great School. Bring laminated copies of your 45T MCAT score and 4.0 transcript. Let them "slip out" multiple times, and wait a few moments to realize that you've "dropped" them. A photo album of you with lots of smiling African children is also helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
Being totally serious: keep a supply of passport-sized/style photos of yourself. Some schools ask you to bring one (one even told me two as I'm supposed to give one to each interviewer) and it can sometimes be hard to remember which ones ask for it and its something easy to forget.

I hate seeing those portfolios. It makes me feel inferior. Seriously, am I the only one daydreaming during the curriculum/financial aid/housing presentations? I can't be the only one. Everyone's busily taking notes in their stupid little portfolios. STOP IT GUNNERS.

I hate seeing those portfolios. It makes me feel inferior. Seriously, am I the only one daydreaming during the curriculum/financial aid/housing presentations? I can't be the only one. Everyone's busily taking notes in their stupid little portfolios. STOP IT GUNNERS.

this has most definitely been me at my interviews. I don't bring anything since things are provided it seems that there really isn't a need to take notes. If you do feel the need to add something, you are given paper to use in most packets.

If you are planning on using it in the interview, then you aren't really listening if you ask me. :laugh:

I bring folios on interviews from habit when I was interviewing for business/finance jobs. Financial aid presentations during interview day were the worst things ever. Talking about loans and numbers at 9am in the morning is not my cup of tea.

You should probably pay attention to those, especially if they happen before your interview(s). Not paying attention to that stuff is missing an opportunity to learn something about the school that could be useful to you in the interview.

I agree that some people take notes on absolutely asinine stuff, though. I remember that and the utterly stupid questions a lot of people ask being the most ridiculous parts about interview days.

I brought nothing. There was always something to write on if there was any critical information (which there often was not). You are usually provided with a folder, information papers, a pen, etc. Medical school interview swag.

WOW. So glad to be a man.

Yeah, it's kinda unfair. I make myself feel better by thinking about how guys have to wear ties, which I've always thought were sort of weird/uncomfortable/nonfunctional looking. Like leashes or something.

didn't read the rest of your post, but is it really necessary to bring a copy of our mcat score report if we wear a t-shirt to the interview that has our score and breakdown along with the percentiles printed on it?

lol