What to bring when shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As part of my clinical endocrinology research internship this summer, I am allowed to come to clinic each week and shadow my mentor as she administers care. Since this internship is being done for college credit (I will take an "internship course" this fall where I reflect on and write a 30 page paper about the experience) is it appropriate to bring a notebook and pen? I won't be writing anything that would break doctor/patient confidentiality, but taking notes on the various endocrine disorders I see may make the paper I will write much better.

Members don't see this ad.

When I did my shadowing for college credit I took a pocket sized notebook. The only thing I wrote down in it though were just medical words and phrases I wasn't familiar with so I could look them up at night. I doubt it would be a problem to bring one unless you start writing down names or way too much detail about someone (which you said you wouldn't). I can imagine it might make you look more engaged and put you in a positive light.

Sounds good. The shadowing is only 3 hours a week, so I figure I would just write "Patient 1" and then take notes on the symptoms, terms I'm not familiar with, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I did my shadowing for college credit I took a pocket sized notebook. The only thing I wrote down in it though were just medical words and phrases I wasn't familiar with so I could look them up at night. I doubt it would be a problem to bring one unless you start writing down names or way too much detail about someone (which you said you wouldn't). I can imagine it might make you look more engaged and put you in a positive light.

That's a great idea... I'm going to do that next time.

Bring paper or a notebook is a great idea, I forgot some stuff that I saw because i forgot to write it down. But dont write it while in a room with a patient (it makes them nervous :D)

Bring paper or a notebook is a great idea, I forgot some stuff that I saw because i forgot to write it down. But dont write it while in a room with a patient (it makes them nervous :D)

Agreed with Locus... don't write in a room with the patient. It's perfectly acceptable to take notes when the physician is discussing a condition though. Just make sure to ask permission. If they start discussing difficult terminology, a quick "Would you mind if I wrote some of this down?" would suffice.

Hehe, I'm not all that cocky. At least I try not to be. :)

Word.

I just mention it because it seems that people these days think they're above getting coffee for the office or the boss. I remember there was an entire thread about that a couple months ago.

Word.

I just mention it because it seems that people these days think they're above getting coffee for the office or the boss. I remember there was an entire thread about that a couple months ago.

About getting coffee and stuff? I've never had a boss do that to me.

Notebook and Pen would be a really good idea you never know what kind of facinating things you will come across. A lot of times you be able to find a place to stash it before following your mentor into the patient's room. I would receomend not taking notes in front of patients...it will probably make them nervous :oops: Have Fun!

I second this. Whilst shadowing, you're meant to be unintrusive, a fly on the wall. Scribbling notes will be distracting to the patient or worse, the MD. Bring the notebook, but keep it out of sight until after.

Also, don't out-dress the physician you're shadowing. It looks silly.

a cell phone with tetris. seriously, it'll be the best decision of your life

As part of my clinical endocrinology research internship this summer, I am allowed to come to clinic each week and shadow my mentor as she administers care. Since this internship is being done for college credit (I will take an "internship course" this fall where I reflect on and write a 30 page paper about the experience) is it appropriate to bring a notebook and pen? I won't be writing anything that would break doctor/patient confidentiality, but taking notes on the various endocrine disorders I see may make the paper I will write much better.

Yes, I think it would be OK to bring a notebook and pen. I think it would also be better if you tell the doctor your shadowing why you have a notebook and pen with you. But I don't think she'd mind really. :)

Hey- I think you can bring one- I brought a leather bound portfolio notebook with me. I kept it in the doctor's office and would take notes and stuff between patients. One of the physicians I shadowed also would have me do research about patients disease I was going to see so I took notes for that in the notebook as well- and it is handy to take down doctors email addies, books they recommend, etc.

A notebook and pen are appropriate, especially given the fact you have to write a paper. You might want to bring a digital voice recorder as well, it may come in handy.

A paper and pen can be somewhat rude to the patient. How would you feel if someone who wasn't a doctor was writing notes about your discussion. Just something to think about.