Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

What to buy for the New Pediatric Resident?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Shane2150, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Shane2150

Shane2150 Junior Mint
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So perhaps this is kind-of a frivolous question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway--for those of you who are current residents in a pediatrics program, what did you buy, or what did you wish you had bought, to prepare you for residency? I'm thinking commonly-used books (like the Red Book), supplies (neonatal stethoscope), etc. Of course I have the usual stuff a graduating med student would own, but this includes very little in the way of peds-specific items. Are there any items/books/guides that you've found indispensable during your residency?

Thanks for any input!

2. chhsu

chhsu New Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll also add the question of if you thought owning a Palm was useful. I know there are programs that give them out to the entering class or give a stipend to buy one.

3. oldbearprofessor

Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most programs will give you a free Harriet Lane which isn't that useful anyway. You should have access to Up-to-Date. Neo stethoscope is nearly useless as most NICU's provide ones for each baby at the bedside. So, I suggest stocking up on a lot of high quality chocolate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. emeddo

emeddo OMS
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is that for the patients or the doctor?

5. oldbearprofessor

Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's for the intern at 2 AM after admitting his 7th gastro/flu to the floor in one call night.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Saluda

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I found the Zitelli's Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis to be the best medical related gift I received.

It is comprehensive, clear, and so much easier to read than any textbook I know.

For those of us who are visual learners, it is fantastic.

I think it runs about $139, but I use it so much more than my unabriged Nelson's (zzzzzzzzz) or Harriet Lane or any of my old student books.

I also love Med Study, but it is geared more towards Boards study. I had a friend who sold me a set of books for dirt cheap after she passed her pedi boards. It's not a great gift, but it is a great study source.

7. Saluda

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    the AAP sent me one free with resident membership (for which my program paid) so I would not buy this until I talked with someone at the residency.

And I got 2 Harriet Lanes free from formula and drug reps.