What to buy for the New Pediatric Resident?

Started by Shane2150
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shane2150

Junior Mint
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So perhaps this is kind-of a frivolous question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway--for those of you who are current residents in a pediatrics program, what did you buy, or what did you wish you had bought, to prepare you for residency? I'm thinking commonly-used books (like the Red Book), supplies (neonatal stethoscope), etc. Of course I have the usual stuff a graduating med student would own, but this includes very little in the way of peds-specific items. Are there any items/books/guides that you've found indispensable during your residency?

Thanks for any input!
 
I'll also add the question of if you thought owning a Palm was useful. I know there are programs that give them out to the entering class or give a stipend to buy one.
 
So perhaps this is kind-of a frivolous question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway--for those of you who are current residents in a pediatrics program, what did you buy, or what did you wish you had bought, to prepare you for residency? I'm thinking commonly-used books (like the Red Book), supplies (neonatal stethoscope), etc. Of course I have the usual stuff a graduating med student would own, but this includes very little in the way of peds-specific items. Are there any items/books/guides that you've found indispensable during your residency?

Thanks for any input!

Most programs will give you a free Harriet Lane which isn't that useful anyway. You should have access to Up-to-Date. Neo stethoscope is nearly useless as most NICU's provide ones for each baby at the bedside. So, I suggest stocking up on a lot of high quality chocolate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most programs will give you a free Harriet Lane which isn't that useful anyway. You should have access to Up-to-Date. Neo stethoscope is nearly useless as most NICU's provide ones for each baby at the bedside. So, I suggest stocking up on a lot of high quality chocolate.

Is that for the patients or the doctor?
 
I found the Zitelli's Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis to be the best medical related gift I received.

It is comprehensive, clear, and so much easier to read than any textbook I know.

For those of us who are visual learners, it is fantastic.

I think it runs about $139, but I use it so much more than my unabriged Nelson's (zzzzzzzzz) or Harriet Lane or any of my old student books.

I also love Med Study, but it is geared more towards Boards study. I had a friend who sold me a set of books for dirt cheap after she passed her pedi boards. It's not a great gift, but it is a great study source.
 
the AAP sent me one free with resident membership (for which my program paid) so I would not buy this until I talked with someone at the residency.

And I got 2 Harriet Lanes free from formula and drug reps.