What to buy for the New Pediatric Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shane2150

Junior Mint
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So perhaps this is kind-of a frivolous question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway--for those of you who are current residents in a pediatrics program, what did you buy, or what did you wish you had bought, to prepare you for residency? I'm thinking commonly-used books (like the Red Book), supplies (neonatal stethoscope), etc. Of course I have the usual stuff a graduating med student would own, but this includes very little in the way of peds-specific items. Are there any items/books/guides that you've found indispensable during your residency?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll also add the question of if you thought owning a Palm was useful. I know there are programs that give them out to the entering class or give a stipend to buy one.

So perhaps this is kind-of a frivolous question, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway--for those of you who are current residents in a pediatrics program, what did you buy, or what did you wish you had bought, to prepare you for residency? I'm thinking commonly-used books (like the Red Book), supplies (neonatal stethoscope), etc. Of course I have the usual stuff a graduating med student would own, but this includes very little in the way of peds-specific items. Are there any items/books/guides that you've found indispensable during your residency?

Thanks for any input!

Most programs will give you a free Harriet Lane which isn't that useful anyway. You should have access to Up-to-Date. Neo stethoscope is nearly useless as most NICU's provide ones for each baby at the bedside. So, I suggest stocking up on a lot of high quality chocolate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs will give you a free Harriet Lane which isn't that useful anyway. You should have access to Up-to-Date. Neo stethoscope is nearly useless as most NICU's provide ones for each baby at the bedside. So, I suggest stocking up on a lot of high quality chocolate.

Is that for the patients or the doctor?

I found the Zitelli's Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis to be the best medical related gift I received.

It is comprehensive, clear, and so much easier to read than any textbook I know.

For those of us who are visual learners, it is fantastic.

I think it runs about $139, but I use it so much more than my unabriged Nelson's (zzzzzzzzz) or Harriet Lane or any of my old student books.

I also love Med Study, but it is geared more towards Boards study. I had a friend who sold me a set of books for dirt cheap after she passed her pedi boards. It's not a great gift, but it is a great study source.

the AAP sent me one free with resident membership (for which my program paid) so I would not buy this until I talked with someone at the residency.

And I got 2 Harriet Lanes free from formula and drug reps.