This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmedsince2

Reaction score
Hi, so I have applied to a few vet schools and I’m still waiting to hear back from two schools. However, I have received rejections from all others. That being said I’m looking into how to go about improving my application for the next time around. However, I’m a bit confused as to which root to take.
From what I’ve been told by the schools that sent me rejections the main issue was with my gpa. Currently I’m in my last year of my undergraduate degree so for anyone who has found themselves in my position would you recommend I take a masters degree instead of retaking courses at a higher level?
Also I know that for your prerequisite you have to take them during a full-time course load but does anyone know if that still applies if I am just retaking them at a higher level after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
The most helpful thing you can do is full file reviews with the programs that rejected you, IMO, if they offer that. Usually that's an opportunity that becomes available once the cycle is over. If your GPA is the issue, then applying smart in the future will be important - take some additional courses to get your last 45 hours up, for example. You can get more detailed suggestions if you post in the What Are My Chances? subforum with your current GPAs/hours/experiences.

I don't believe you have to take pre-reqs during a full-time course load, unless that's a school-specific requirement. So if there are courses you're planning to retake, you certainly don't need to take a full 13 credits or whatever. Do make sure that you know how the schools you're applying to evaluate retakes - whether they average the prior grade with the new one, or whether they do grade replacement, as that will make a difference in what makes the most sense for you to do in the future when it comes to retaking courses or doing a master's or postbacc.

And lastly, don't give up. A lot of people don't get in the first time they apply (myself included). It doesn't mean that you aren't capable of being a great vet some day.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi, so I have applied to a few vet schools and I’m still waiting to hear back from two schools. However, I have received rejections from all others. That being said I’m looking into how to go about improving my application for the next time around. However, I’m a bit confused as to which root to take.
From what I’ve been told by the schools that sent me rejections the main issue was with my gpa. Currently I’m in my last year of my undergraduate degree so for anyone who has found themselves in my position would you recommend I take a masters degree instead of retaking courses at a higher level?
Also I know that for your prerequisite you have to take them during a full-time course load but does anyone know if that still applies if I am just retaking them at a higher level after graduation?
This depends on which schools you’re hoping to attend. Some do grade replacement, and some average the grades. With grade replacement, it’s usually a good idea to retake classes. If the school averages the grades, then retaking sometimes doesn’t shift your gpa enough to make a difference. It also depends on how they evaluate gpa - a school that weighs last 45 gpa more heavily would favor a student who takes graduate coursework and does well in it.

Do you have an in-state school? I would recommend finding out what they want, and targeting your application to their ideal applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
As a general rule, every applicant should assume they're rejected until they have an acceptance. That includes maintaining grades, working on ECs, etc. As others have said, do file reviews in the spring with the schools youre applying to.

In the meantime, focus on your grades if that's the perceived problem. I applied 3 times with a 3.3 GPA, sp here are my other tips:

1. Maybe re-evaluate your school list and focus on schools that weigh GPA less.

2. Only do a master's if you would use it if you never got into vet school.

3. Truly research your schools. This includes the ratio of accepted students to number of applicants. This is as much a numbers game as it is a quality game.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d post on the “what are my chances” thread sticky’d above so we can get a better idea of your whole application. It’s tough to overcome low GPA but it also depends what “low” is and what classes are dragging it down, when they were taken etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to pop in to echo what others have said about tailoring your school list for next cycle - we can say all we want that you should be prioritizing schools that are cheap for you to attend, but that's only if you can manage to get in! I applied to Auburn and Purdue both of my application rounds, but frankly I had no hope of getting in with my lackluster GPA. I also probably should have nixed UF, Cornell, and Michigan off my list first time around due to GPA. But, shockingly enough, some of the schools I thought would value GPA higher than anything (tOSU, Penn) seemed to want to give me a chance despite my stats. I did also continue to take classes throughout my first and second cycles so I'd be able to continue raising my GPA & have a few worse grades drop off the last 45 credit count - I'm pretty convinced this is what got me through the doors for Penn, UMN, and Michigan. I think the retake vs. masters conversation depends on what your grades were in your original courses - if you had Cs or below, retaking would be a good idea IF you can get As. But if they were Bs or above, I wouldn't bother, I would try to find upper-level bio/animal sciences courses that you can excel in to raise your last 45 credits. And this likely goes without saying, but if you want to get in next cycle, it sounds like your grades need to come first. Don't get pulled into clubs or veterinary experiences and sacrifice study time & grades, unless a school specifically tells you to up your experiences & extracurriculars. And finally, while they may be more forgiving of a lackluster GPA, approach newer schools & island schools with caution - you'll get a perfectly good education & be able to get a good job after graduation, but your debt load will be SUBSTANTIALLY higher. Don't take that on lightly!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mind me asking which schools you were denied from? I’m still waiting to hear back and starting to wonder if I have been rejected since I haven’t heard back from some…

A
where did you apply to? it's only november
applied to A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa, Kansas, Lincoln (interviewed), Long Island, Purdue, Michigan, Midwestern (interviewed), UPenn, Ohio, Arizona (MMI waitlisted), WesternU, Virginia/Maryland, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Illinois’s (rejected).

A

applied to A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa, Kansas, Lincoln (interviewed), Long Island, Purdue, Michigan, Midwestern (interviewed), UPenn, Ohio, Arizona (MMI waitlisted), WesternU, Virginia/Maryland, Tennessee, Minnesota, and Illinois’s (rejected).
It’s still very early in the cycle. Many programs don’t release any sort of decisions (interview or admission) until December or January. Some even later than that. 💙