What to do before starting PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CollegeGirl3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright guys. I'm having a disagreement with my parents about what to do before school starts. I'll have 3 months free and I had planned on using them to relax and travel.

However, they want me to work for those 3 months to "experience the real world."

Would y'all rather work or spend your time relaxing? (By the way, I shouldn't really try to study, right?)
 
I think most people would rather relax, but most of us have bills to pay. Are your parents paying for said travel or are you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked throughout high school and college so, I can't really relate. But I start PT school at the end of May and just recently left my job, to take it easy during my last semester of undergrad. I'd be surprised if you could find an employer who would be willing to train you to work wherever it may be for 3 months though.
 
I worked throughout high school and college so, I can't really relate. But I start PT school at the end of May and just recently left my job, to take it easy during my last semester of undergrad. I'd be surprised if you could find an employer who would be willing to train you to work wherever it may be for 3 months though.
Haha that's true too. "Hey I'd like to work here... No, I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon..." 😉
 
Getting a "good" job may be tough. It's probably too late to get any type of internship. You'd have to probably find a place that is hiring heavy for the summer. Places like landscaping companies usually need summer help. I grew up near an amusement park and they were always hiring during the summer. Do you have any places like that around you?
 
Getting a "good" job may be tough. It's probably too late to get any type of internship. You'd have to probably find a place that is hiring heavy for the summer. Places like landscaping companies usually need summer help. I grew up near an amusement park and they were always hiring during the summer. Do you have any places like that around you?
There is a water park nearby that I worked at when I was in high school, but I know that their positions fill up pretty quick.
 
Alright guys. I'm having a disagreement with my parents about what to do before school starts. I'll have 3 months free and I had planned on using them to relax and travel.

However, they want me to work for those 3 months to "experience the real world."

Would y'all rather work or spend your time relaxing? (By the way, I shouldn't really try to study, right?)

I would totally spend those three months to relax and travel...this is technically your last summer break you'll ever probably have...after PT school starts, you won't have summers (at least my program works that way), and once you're out, you only have limited vacation time. To add to what the others said, you really can't find a great job with those 3 months because it's such a limited time. My advice is live it up. You just graduated 4 years of college & are going to graduate school...where's the celebration for that?!

But...that's just me! My program starts in early September so I have tons of stuff planned for the summer. : ) At least take one trip! or even to save money just take road trips with friends!
 
Maybe get a flexible job, like nannying or tutoring, a few days a week to fund your said travels. :]