What to do during a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I can either:
Not graduate on time and take a few extra courses and do some research. I.e a few upper level biology's like immunology and some other courses like mythology, that simply didn't fit into my schedule. This means I'll graduate in 2014 as opposed to 2013 though.
Or
I can try to find a 1 year masters program in biology or biomedical science in Maryland. ( Know of any?)
Or
{Insert your own answer}

Members don't see this ad.

So I can either:
Not graduate on time and take a few extra courses and do some research. I.e a few upper level biology's like immunology and some other courses like mythology, that simply didn't fit into my schedule. This means I'll graduate in 2014 as opposed to 2013 though.
Or
I can try to find a 1 year masters program in biology or biomedical science in Maryland. ( Know of any?)
Or
{Insert your own answer}

don't get convicted of a crime whatever you do.

Are you on scholarship, or will you be paying for that extra year? If you're going on the school's dime (or even just very cheaply), I'd say take the extra year to find some easy classes and just have fun. When you're going around interviewing, a light course load will be really helpful, and when you're not you won't really have to worry about school so you can hang out with friends, go to parties, etc.

If finances are an issue, maybe try to find a job to save up some money for applications/interviews/whatever? That would be my suggestion, at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol... I'll try not too....

Are you on scholarship, or will you be paying for that extra year? If you're going on the school's dime (or even just very cheaply), I'd say take the extra year to find some easy classes and just have fun. When you're going around interviewing, a light course load will be really helpful, and when you're not you won't really have to worry about school so you can hang out with friends, go to parties, etc.

If finances are an issue, maybe try to find a job to save up some money for applications/interviews/whatever? That would be my suggestion, at least.

I'll be paying for the 5th year, but I'd be part time and possibly TAing/working. I'm also at a state school so I'm not paying that much to begin with.
Pretty much speaking I could easily graduate in 4 years with my major. The only problem is that if I do I'll be unable to take any other classes.

Research
Job
Lab assistant
Shadowing
Volunteering (nonmedical or medical)
MCAT study
Post-bacc classes
Minor

etc.

This is no joke.

I'm on a gap year... and I almost got myself into some trouble with the department of homeland security. Really just a gross misunderstanding. I didn't declare something I didn't know I had... and long story short... the paperwork was just ridiculous.

This is no joke.

I'm on a gap year... and I almost got myself into some trouble with the department of homeland security. Really just a gross misunderstanding. I didn't declare something I didn't know I had... and long story short... the paperwork was just ridiculous.

I got into the wrong car the other night thinking it was mine and the guy came up to me and was like what are you doing (watered down version of what he said and did). I freaked out thinking well there goes med school. First thought. Then it was hope I don't get stabbed.

I got into the wrong car the other night thinking it was mine and the guy came up to me and was like what are you doing (watered down version of what he said and did). I freaked out thinking well there goes med school. First thought. Then it was hope I don't get stabbed.

Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhaha

This is no joke.

Did you go out of the country and bring back a bottle of some foreign "Cuban" liquor? Or something of that sort?...
Anyways... I think I'll be a good boy...

.... I think I'm going to rethink my gap year... or maybe just lock myself up in my room.

get a job. being in the real world for a year will help you mature. (not calling you immature [well, yes I am], but the real world helps everyone mature).

get a job. being in the real world for a year will help you mature. (not calling you immature [well, yes I am], but the real world helps everyone mature).

Ok, I mean it's a good idea....

...but it took me a little under a year to find steady employment. For the love of God, stay in school if you can.

Yah, I know... I'm also a psych major to boot. My chances of employment are pretty darn low...

Yah, I know... I'm also a psych major to boot. My chances of employment are pretty darn low...

bio major here. if I can find a decent job, you can too. it just probably won't require much of the psych knowledge you obtained with your degree. my job is in a large hospital system in a direct patient care capacity. I do get to do some of the "dirty work", but it's been a fun & valuable experience, has a very flexible schedule (since hospitals run 24/7 and 36 hrs/wk is full-time), and I am making decent money.

ARE there such things as 1 year master's in biology or biomed that aren't jokes?

So basically everyone is telling me to just stay the extra year and consider some employment.
No one is for the graduate program in bio or biomed?

speeding is a crime. i know what you mean, but a crime (unless it's a felony) won't bar you from med school.

this isn't advice to go commit a crime, but (most) people commit crimes all the time without even realizing it.

speeding is a crime. i know what you mean, but a crime (unless it's a felony) won't bar you from med school.

this isn't advice to go commit a crime, but (most) people commit crimes all the time without even realizing it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKDdT_nyP54[/YOUTUBE]