What to do during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolkid311

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated few months ago, and I still haven't found a job for my gap year medical related. I was wondering what I should be doing? Im just volunteering at the hospital and working at BestBuy at the moment. Anything recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, "what to do during a gap year" is such a hugely broad topic that it's really hard for most of us to give you suggestions without knowing a little bit more. Working is always a plus, but there's also volunteering, hobbies, traveling, shadowing, learning a language, internships, and combinations of any of the above. You should seriously explore your interests and goals and pursue activities pertaining to those.

Netflix & chill.

;)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also having a hard time finding a job after having a summer job. To what extent do adcoms care about what you're doing during the gap year? I was thinking of tutoring/teaching SAT because employment for research/clinical jobs isn't really working out well for me.

I'm also having a hard time finding a job after having a summer job. To what extent do adcoms care about what you're doing during the gap year? I was thinking of tutoring/teaching SAT because employment for research/clinical jobs isn't really working out well for me.

I would argue that it's a pretty important factor. Almost all of my secondaries have asked what I will be doing during any time in which I am not a full-time student. IMO, it would be a waste of a valuable chance to continue gaining experiences.

I graduated few months ago, and I still haven't found a job for my gap year medical related. I was wondering what I should be doing? Im just volunteering at the hospital and working at BestBuy at the moment. Anything recommendations?

Clinical experience and employment are a pretty good start. If you're still looking for more stuff to tack on, lay out all of your current resume and figure out where you are weak from an admissions perspective. If you feel pretty well rounded, you can never go wrong by volunteering some more.

I also graduated a few months ago, and I'm currently doing research, working as a scribe (got really lucky here), and volunteering at two places. I still have plenty of free time, it feels great.