what to do during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsaja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in attending a private oos university in the midwest. I was an excellent student in high school, but my grades suffered my first two years in college. Junior year my grades have improved and realistically I know I can get about a 3.5 for the next three semesters. My GPA by the time I graduate will be about 3.3. I've already completed all my premed requirements w/mostly A's or B's except a c- in calc 2 and c in chem 2. i have a w in ochem not b/c i was failing...and when i took it later i got an A in it. I'm a double major in Biology and Psychology. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm planning on taking it early next spring or during my gap year.

i have no research experience or work experience, but i do have some volunteer experience and am involved in extracurriculars.

I will be moving to long island, ny for a year. I want to do something productive during that time to help my gpa. Does anyone know of any year long post-bacc or masters programs such as public health or biomedical sciences that I could do in that area (nyc, newark, etc)? All the post-bacc programs that I'm finding are for people who haven't completed their science pre med classes and are not "record enhancers"

After my gap year, I am open to moving almost anywhere in the US, preferably the midwest. Where would be the best places to apply? Or, would you recommend that after my gap year, I take more time off and maybe get a masters and become a resident of a state where there are many med schools and then apply to med school?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

im going to school for public health in fall 08 which is 2 years to make myself more appealing to med schools. to find public health schools in new york check out: www.asph.org..its the association for all accredited public health schools in the nation

I worked, took classes, traveled, worked, grew up a lot. I think that last one is the most important thing I've done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most MPH programs are 2 years. If you are really interested, you could apply for a combined MD/MPH program and in that case they would let you complete the MPH portion in one year. Or just go into it knowing that your gap year will really be more like 2 years.

I don't think getting an MPH would be the best way to make your application stronger, unless you have always wanted to get an MPH. A graduate GPA is separate from your undergrad/postbacc, so it won't touch or improve your current GPA. Further, most schools assume that graduate GPAs are slightly inflated.

I think getting a job in a clinical or health-related setting (even if you aren't doing clinical work yourself, at least you're getting more exposure), studying for the MCAT, and possibly taking another upper level science class or two during your gap year(s) sounds like a good plan to me.

Do some volunteer work and get a job that pays a lot because ur gonna be waist deep in loans once u finishbmedical school. I'm just realizing that now as I sit here looking at my undergraduate loans during my gap year, thinking of how much more in debt I'm gonna be after med school.

I'm doing research in a lab (getting paid almost nothing but oh well, publications are always nice), working at Kaplan, and doing some volunteering for the first year (think June-May). I'm taking the summer before med school to do something fun like traveling/video games/sleeping alot.

I'm doing research in a lab (getting paid almost nothing but oh well, publications are always nice), working at Kaplan, and doing some volunteering for the first year (think June-May). I'm taking the summer before med school to do something fun like traveling/video games/sleeping alot.

ditto i'm doing this exact same thing! plus taking 1-2 UG classes a semester. not as bad as it sounds, trust me :)

ditto i'm doing this exact same thing! plus taking 1-2 UG classes a semester. not as bad as it sounds, trust me :)

I worked full time and took some grad classes. It was a nonstop **** storm of take home work that never ended. Borderline painful at times.

Most MPH programs are 2 years. If you are really interested, you could apply for a combined MD/MPH program and in that case they would let you complete the MPH portion in one year. Or just go into it knowing that your gap year will really be more like 2 years.

I don't think getting an MPH would be the best way to make your application stronger, unless you have always wanted to get an MPH. A graduate GPA is separate from your undergrad/postbacc, so it won't touch or improve your current GPA. Further, most schools assume that graduate GPAs are slightly inflated.

I think getting a job in a clinical or health-related setting (even if you aren't doing clinical work yourself, at least you're getting more exposure), studying for the MCAT, and possibly taking another upper level science class or two during your gap year(s) sounds like a good plan to me.

This is really good advice. I second it.

Also, if you're interested in moving to gain access to midwestern schools with "easier" entrance requirements, there are multiple threads devoted to which state is best to be a resident in. (There's no consensus, so do a search, read up, and judge for yourself.)

Here's one, but there are probably several others.

Personally, I think moving to a state to gain residency is a pretty dramatic measure, but I have heard some stories of it working for people, so if that's what you decide, best of luck!

thanks for the advice! i'm actually already a midwest resident, but im moving to ny where my fiance is finishing up his pgy3. after that, we'd like to move to a state where i could do med school and he could get a job in an underserved area---hopefully. i think my ~3.3 gpa is low though...do you think it would be good enough with some work experience and a few science courses or what else could i do to bring it up??

thanks for the advice! i'm actually already a midwest resident, but im moving to ny where my fiance is finishing up his pgy3. after that, we'd like to move to a state where i could do med school and he could get a job in an underserved area---hopefully. i think my ~3.3 gpa is low though...do you think it would be good enough with some work experience and a few science courses or what else could i do to bring it up??

I got into my state school with a similar GPA--so it is possible--but I also had a 33 MCAT, 1000+ hours working in multiple health care fields, lots of volunteering, and full-time research experience, etc. I'm a nontrad, and I think the adcom realized that my GPA, which was solidified years ago, was an inadequate reflection of my current abilities.

If I were you, I would focus more on knocking the MCAT out of the park, and getting some clinical volunteering and/or health care employment. If you can do really well on the MCAT (32 or better with an even balance of scores across the sections) and you show that you know what the medical field is like, you probably have a fairly good chance at a state school, even with a lowish GPA. But, then again, it would never hurt to take classes and raise that GPA.

I don't know if you've considered this option, but an SMP might also be something to think about. Do a search here on SDN. There is a ton of info, and it was something I was considering until I got my acceptance.

Best of luck!