• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

What to do during the summer while applying?

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2009
Hills of Westwood
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi guys so i hope to apply in june...meaning i should have secondarys to do all summer. Would it be possible for me to go out of the country or is it advisable to stay here in case i need to run around getting transcripts, LOR, etc.
    What did you guys do the summer you were applyin?

MilkmanAl

10+ Year Member
    Mar 23, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    www.youtube.com
    1. Attending Physician
      I definitely would not leave the country until all the administrative stuff surround applying was done. That is, get all of your secondaries done and submitted and get "your file is complete" notices from the schools before you jet. Make sure you have internet access while abroad so you can troubleshoot as necessary.

Sillyshoes

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jan 19, 2008
      1. Pre-Medical
        I traveled during part of the summer when I was applying, but I stayed in the country.
        It really depends on how long you plan to be gone.
        If you can get LORs and transcripts sent out before you leave, then it should be fine too.

About the Ads

JAWSCIENCE

Nov 6, 2009
        1. MD/PhD Student
          I wouldn't do anything that limits your computer access. Most of applications can be handled with your computer and a good internet connection from anywhere. Sometimes you need to track down a LOR or transcript but that can usually done by e-mail if you are aggressive.

You want to be as organized as possible. Keep track of all secondaries, secondary fees, LORs sent out, schools that have listed you as complete etc. to make sure you have not missed any deadlines. If you feel you can do this while abroad then go for it. But make sure you have internet access.

Bunny Fru Fru

10+ Year Member
          Jan 11, 2009
          1. Medical Student
            I was hoping to apply the first day that the AMCAS is open; hopefully my LOR's and transcript will already be in. Then I wanted to go out of the country for about a week. Then return by mid to late June right when secondaries would be arriving.
            If this is crazy or ill-advised, please tell me. Thanks.

Contrarian

Aug 17, 2009
            1. Pre-Medical
              I was hoping to apply the first day that the AMCAS is open; hopefully my LOR's and transcript will already be in. Then I wanted to go out of the country for about a week. Then return by mid to late June right when secondaries would be arriving.

yes, you are allowed to take a week-long vacation.

chill out people.

wanderer

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 15, 2008
              1. Medical Student
                So apply the second week that AMCAS is open. And make sure you get those LORs in as early as possible (though you could technically wait for secondaries to send them).

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.