What to do during the summer while applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys so i hope to apply in june...meaning i should have secondarys to do all summer. Would it be possible for me to go out of the country or is it advisable to stay here in case i need to run around getting transcripts, LOR, etc.
What did you guys do the summer you were applyin?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely would not leave the country until all the administrative stuff surround applying was done. That is, get all of your secondaries done and submitted and get "your file is complete" notices from the schools before you jet. Make sure you have internet access while abroad so you can troubleshoot as necessary.

I traveled during part of the summer when I was applying, but I stayed in the country.
It really depends on how long you plan to be gone.
If you can get LORs and transcripts sent out before you leave, then it should be fine too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer class, continuing extracurricular stuff, and just laying low. Is what I did.

i did research. it was really flexible and left my weekends free (for the most part) - ideal for doing apps (and having fun)!

I procrastinated about writing those endless secondaries by playing endless games of chess online.

I did my internship

and read the Twilight books...yea

I wouldn't do anything that limits your computer access. Most of applications can be handled with your computer and a good internet connection from anywhere. Sometimes you need to track down a LOR or transcript but that can usually done by e-mail if you are aggressive.

You want to be as organized as possible. Keep track of all secondaries, secondary fees, LORs sent out, schools that have listed you as complete etc. to make sure you have not missed any deadlines. If you feel you can do this while abroad then go for it. But make sure you have internet access.

I was hoping to apply the first day that the AMCAS is open; hopefully my LOR's and transcript will already be in. Then I wanted to go out of the country for about a week. Then return by mid to late June right when secondaries would be arriving.
If this is crazy or ill-advised, please tell me. Thanks.

I was hoping to apply the first day that the AMCAS is open; hopefully my LOR's and transcript will already be in. Then I wanted to go out of the country for about a week. Then return by mid to late June right when secondaries would be arriving.

yes, you are allowed to take a week-long vacation.

chill out people.

So apply the second week that AMCAS is open. And make sure you get those LORs in as early as possible (though you could technically wait for secondaries to send them).