What to do for a year if you didn't get accepted

Started by arya1218
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arya1218

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first year applying to Veterinary Schools and I got wait-listed to my instate, I currently work at a small animal clinic doing menial work. I am graduating college in May with a Biology degree and I just don't know what to do for a year where I can be using my knowledge I learned in school, build people skills, and have something to put on my application for the next year. Help? 😕
 
My biggest advice- do a review with your IS school about your application. See what needs improved on . Since I don't know your stats, I can't suggest much else except get some more experiences if you can. When I had a year off after getting rejected, I just worked at my small animal clinic and studied for my GREs to improve the scores.
 
my gre score was average, my gpa is ok, probably more towards the lower spectrum, by my instate ( university of illinois) claims that grades and GRE scores don't play a role in the final selection. I have over 3200 hours of small animal experience, I have research experience from school, i have large animal experience and exotic experience. Tons of leadership roles on campus and community service. I have my file review soon so it will be nice to know exactly what I should change, but I just don't want to work at a small animal clinic cleaning up poop and assisting technicians for a year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know anything about Illinois, since I never applied there, but I highly doubt that grades and GRE scores don't count towards the 'final selection.'
 
I don't know anything about Illinois, since I never applied there, but I highly doubt that grades and GRE scores don't count towards the 'final selection.'

Actually, once you make it to an interview at IL, your grades are not considered at all anymore. Initially they look at your grades and GRE and give you a score. At that point they reject some people and move onto the next phase of evaluation. The next phase is the "non-cognitive" evaluation which includes your personal statement, supplemental essay, experience, LORs, etc. If your combined score in your "non-cognitive" evaluation and your "cognitive" evaluations are high enough, you get an interview offer. At this point your "cognitive" evaluation no longer affects whether or not you are admitted. 75% of your final score will be based on your non-cognitive evaluation and 25% will be based on your interview. 🙂

link: https://publish.illinois.edu/vetmed-admissions/admissions-process/

Anyway, supposing arya got an interview, that would imply that she either needs to work on her experience or personal statement or supplemental essay, get better LORs, or try to improve upon her interviewing skills. But as you said before, the best way to know for sure is to do an application review!
 
I applied for the first time this past cycle and didn't get into my in-state at all (the only place I applied to this year). 🙁

So, I'm in a similar situation right now. I'm putting off graduation in my MPH program until the Autumn semester. This will not only give me time to increase my GPA to maybe a 3.5 with some extra biological science courses,but it allows me some extra opportunities for internships. Right now I'm going to start a ten week intern program at the local zoo that will net me an awesome experience and almost 400 hours of work.

I've also applied for USDA summer internships with Veterinary Services around the country, which, if I can get offered one, will give me almost 500+ hours of full-time work with public veterinarians.

For me, paid internships are the way to fill the time.

I also plan to take the new GRE in the late spring/summer. I don't have a choice on that this cycle.
 
Actually, once you make it to an interview at IL, your grades are not considered at all anymore. Initially they look at your grades and GRE and give you a score. At that point they reject some people and move onto the next phase of evaluation. The next phase is the "non-cognitive" evaluation which includes your personal statement, supplemental essay, experience, LORs, etc. If your combined score in your "non-cognitive" evaluation and your "cognitive" evaluations are high enough, you get an interview offer. At this point your "cognitive" evaluation no longer affects whether or not you are admitted. 75% of your final score will be based on your non-cognitive evaluation and 25% will be based on your interview. 🙂

link: https://publish.illinois.edu/vetmed-admissions/admissions-process/

Anyway, supposing arya got an interview, that would imply that she either needs to work on her experience or personal statement or supplemental essay, get better LORs, or try to improve upon her interviewing skills. But as you said before, the best way to know for sure is to do an application review!

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if the OP got an interview this year or not, then. That kind of sounds like my IS school where ONLY the interview is counted towards final selection, assuming you get an interview.
 
Like others said. Wait on that file review. Chances are you'll want to spend your time continuing to get vet experience, but you may or may not want to take more classes to up your GPA and maybe retake the GRE.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if the OP got an interview this year or not, then. That kind of sounds like my IS school where ONLY the interview is counted towards final selection, assuming you get an interview.

I was surprised when I learned that VMR did it that way. Which by the way, I didn't even realize until I showed up to interview :laugh: (not that it makes a difference really). TAMU does MMI too, but they add the interview score (worth up to 60 out of 300 points) to the total and then make their final selections. The only caveat is that being in the bottom 20% of scores on the interview disqualifies you. I think I like that method better.
 
Like others said. Wait on that file review. Chances are you'll want to spend your time continuing to get vet experience, but you may or may not want to take more classes to up your GPA and maybe retake the GRE.



I was surprised when I learned that VMR did it that way. Which by the way, I didn't even realize until I showed up to interview :laugh: (not that it makes a difference really). TAMU does MMI too, but they add the interview score (worth up to 60 out of 300 points) to the total and then make their final selections. The only caveat is that being in the bottom 20% of scores on the interview disqualifies you. I think I like that method better.

I like TAMUs method better... since I bombed that interview. I hate MMI's... I just don't do well with those sorts of interviews. Hence why I was waitlisted at VMRCVM lol!!
 
my gre score was average, my gpa is ok, probably more towards the lower spectrum, by my instate ( university of illinois) claims that grades and GRE scores don't play a role in the final selection. I have over 3200 hours of small animal experience, I have research experience from school, i have large animal experience and exotic experience. Tons of leadership roles on campus and community service. I have my file review soon so it will be nice to know exactly what I should change, but I just don't want to work at a small animal clinic cleaning up poop and assisting technicians for a year.

Personally I would stay working at the vet clinic. With my gap year this past year, I continued working at the groomer and kennel I've worked at all through undergrad - it builds more animal experience and working with customers for me, it's a steady job, and I would rather have 1 long term job than a string of short-term jobs before going off to vet school if I got in. It doesn't utilize my degree, but it pays my bills and it's a good short-term job until I get into school. You will only help your application by building more vet hours. You didn't say how many hours you have in LA and exotics, but maybe see if you can build up a few more of those. If you would like to stay in school, you could probably get into a 1-year non-thesis Master's program. It would be a good application builder, and if for some reason vet school never works out you would have another useful degree.
 
If you would like to stay in school, you could probably get into a 1-year non-thesis Master's program. It would be a good application builder, and if for some reason vet school never works out you would have another useful degree.

I think most on here would tell you not to do a Master's just as time filler though, only if it's something you actually do want to do. Also, I'm less familiar on this aspect so I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that generally you won't get any funding for a non-thesis, so you'll be paying a lot out of pocket.
 
I did more upper-division classwork, because it was my weak suit, and I got more hours and a greater variety of experience. Might not be a bad plan to work and save $$ for tuition, too, if you can hack it.

Find out your weaknesses and eliminate them. Although a review can help you do that, you usually already know, and any vet you talk to can help you if the schools won't give you a file review.
 
Greetings SDN readers!

I was interviewed but rejected by my IS (TAMU). Of course I plan to retake my GRE (V 159/ Q 152), and continue gaining varied vet experience. But I have some questions about my coursework. I am a non-traditional student with a degree in health/PE. I went to UTexas to take my pre-reqs, but without a chem or bio degree, I have very few upper division courses in these subjects. I made a few C's (calculus, ochem I, biochem I) and B's (genchem ii, microbio, physics ii, ochem ii). Cum GPA 3.7, sci GPA 3.4.

Should I retake these course?
Or pursue a masters in chem at a small college to gain an advanced understanding of the subject?
Or pursue a masters in Animal Science to gain an understanding of endocrinology, breeding practices ( relevant material)?
Or pursue a MPH in vet epidemiology which can open up more career opportunities in conjunction with a DVM?

Thanks for your input 🙂
 
Greetings SDN readers!

I was interviewed but rejected by my IS (TAMU). Of course I plan to retake my GRE (V 159/ Q 152), and continue gaining varied vet experience. But I have some questions about my coursework. I am a non-traditional student with a degree in health/PE. I went to UTexas to take my pre-reqs, but without a chem or bio degree, I have very few upper division courses in these subjects. I made a few C's (calculus, ochem I, biochem I) and B's (genchem ii, microbio, physics ii, ochem ii). Cum GPA 3.7, sci GPA 3.4.

Should I retake these course?
Or pursue a masters in chem at a small college to gain an advanced understanding of the subject?
Or pursue a masters in Animal Science to gain an understanding of endocrinology, breeding practices ( relevant material)?
Or pursue a MPH in vet epidemiology which can open up more career opportunities in conjunction with a DVM?

Thanks for your input 🙂

I would definitely do a file review when you get the chance. If you interviewed and then were rejected, you may find that there were issues with your interview. I didn't have to do a file review, but I know of people that did, and Yolanda (or someone) will tell you where you need to improve. 🙂 I would recommend just taking upper-level science courses that you know you can do well in and/or retake the courses you made a C in, especially if they are pre-reqs. Getting a MS or a MPH is no small undertaking and unless it is a 1-year program, it can be frowned upon to start a degree and then abandon it for vet school. Not always, but it's not unheard of. Also, I wouldn't pursue a MS/MPH unless I was actually interested in getting an extra degree. I completed my MPH in Epidemiology prior to matriculation because I was absolutely sure that I wanted to do public health work post vet school and I couldn't do what I wanted to do with it. If you're set on a MS/MPH, then go ahead and start the application process since most applications are due May 1 or June 1 (just in case). Otherwise, I would just set myself up to retake courses and wait to hear back from the school on what I could improve upon. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, my greatest weakness is interviews. I have no charm or charisma, so I need to get the most out of the other aspects of my app to offset the mediocre interview (A&M uses a point system with the interview worth 60 out of 300 points). I don't really want to retake or take more undergrad courses; I already have a BS, disqualifying me from loans for undergrad. If I start a MS/MPH program, I plan to complete it. File reviews do not begin until after April 29, so by the time I hear what I need to improve, it is too late for many options. But if repeated undergrad courses is what they ask for, I will grit my teeth and jump through that hoop.
 
Last edited:
If you have the grades and GRE scores then I would work for a year. Dealing with patients, coworkers and doctors will improve your communication skills thus improving your interview score. The knowledge I gained by working full time for a year was priceless. It gave me confidence in my technical abilities, knowledge from school and my people skills.
 
Is anyone who got wait listed/rejected and has to take a year off considering applying to any other type of professional school in addition to vet school? I have all the pre reqs for something else that interests me but isn't my dream of vet school. Also would be tough to do 2 apps that are so involved.. But I don't want to end up in this same position next year if I get wait listed for the 3rd time! Any input? Probably looks like I don't want to be a vet badly enough but I just want to have a safety net..
 
Is anyone who got wait listed/rejected and has to take a year off considering applying to any other type of professional school in addition to vet school? I have all the pre reqs for something else that interests me but isn't my dream of vet school. Also would be tough to do 2 apps that are so involved.. But I don't want to end up in this same position next year if I get wait listed for the 3rd time! Any input? Probably looks like I don't want to be a vet badly enough but I just want to have a safety net..

Kind of...

So, I'm currently waitlisted at my in state school. I'm about graduate with a Master of Physiology & a Graduate Certificate in Molecular Biotechnology. I'm currently working two jobs (bills & i hate myself, lol), and my teaching job ends when I graduate. Which leaves me working part time at $9/hr at a small animal clinic. This is just simply not enough with my new degrees, I should be making quite a bit more with my degrees, and they won't be able to meet my salary requirements- so I'm going to have to look for a new job (likely in biotech in the area). I'm seriously considering applying for a PhD and reapplying to my in state only in the fall. That will be my 3rd (and likely final) DVM cycle. If I don't get in, I'm going to basically say screw it and go for the PhD (I know I can get in somewhere), and reconsider a DVM down the road if I need/want to.

Once you've done VMCAS once, it's just re-entering the same stuff and updating. I suggest you print out your VMCAS from this year, and save it! Use it as a reference. Polish up any weak points (mine is cumulative [read: early undergrad] GPA, so no dice for me) and then take a new stab at it. If you can get a review with your school- do it. My in state only offers a group review session- there are no personal interviews, so I usually just wait for the statistics to be posted. Reapplying and IMPROVING YOUR APPLICATION BETWEEN helps immensely. And show them, very clearly, how you've improved. Did you get a cool certification? Did you do a ton of animal work? Did you take a crapload of hard classes? Prove you're dedicated and tenacious, it will only work in your favor.