what to do for after-hour pick up in pharmacy?

GoRx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    If a patient want to pick up medications after pharmacy operation hours and want me to leave the drug to a neighbor medical office, what should I do? agree, refuse or get agreement from patient before do it?

thanks

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 15, 2004
    1. Pharmacist
      If a patient want to pick up medications after pharmacy operation hours and want me to leave the drug to a neighbor medical office, what should I do? agree, refuse or get agreement from patient before do it?

thanks

Tell them to make it to the pharmacy during normal business hours or transfer it to a 24 hour store.

If it is your qon pharmacy do what you want. If it is an independant let the owner or manager decide.

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Oct 28, 2008
      1. Fellow [Any Field]
        If you work for a chain, you'll most likely have to do it under the table, if at all. If you're working at an independent, it's up to the owners. I don't think it would be too much of a problem if you have a good working relationship with the medical office and you're able to find a way to secure payment. You'll also have to fulfill the various legal requirements, mainly offer to counsel (you could get away with the same way mail order does it, but a simple phone call would be easier).

If it's a new customer, control, or a maintenance medication, I wouldn't do it. Way too much of a hassle and/or legal liability. For an urgent medication with a valid reason, I think it would be the right thing to do.

About the Ads

Vitamin K

10+ Year Member
        Jan 18, 2009
        1. Pharmacist
          If you work for a chain, you'll most likely have to do it under the table, if at all. If you're working at an independent, it's up to the owners. I don't think it would be too much of a problem if you have a good working relationship with the medical office and you're able to find a way to secure payment. You'll also have to fulfill the various legal requirements, mainly offer to counsel (you could get away with the same way mail order does it, but a simple phone call would be easier).

If it's a new customer, control, or a maintenance medication, I wouldn't do it. Way too much of a hassle and/or legal liability. For an urgent medication with a valid reason, I think it would be the right thing to do.

I agree. It depends on the patient and what your relationship with them is like. If you don't know them or the medical office very well, I'd ask them to pick it up during regular hours or offer to transfer it to a 24 hour pharmacy.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.