GoRx

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
If a patient want to pick up medications after pharmacy operation hours and want me to leave the drug to a neighbor medical office, what should I do? agree, refuse or get agreement from patient before do it?

thanks

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
If a patient want to pick up medications after pharmacy operation hours and want me to leave the drug to a neighbor medical office, what should I do? agree, refuse or get agreement from patient before do it?

thanks
Tell them to make it to the pharmacy during normal business hours or transfer it to a 24 hour store.

If it is your qon pharmacy do what you want. If it is an independant let the owner or manager decide.

Praziquantel86

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If you work for a chain, you'll most likely have to do it under the table, if at all. If you're working at an independent, it's up to the owners. I don't think it would be too much of a problem if you have a good working relationship with the medical office and you're able to find a way to secure payment. You'll also have to fulfill the various legal requirements, mainly offer to counsel (you could get away with the same way mail order does it, but a simple phone call would be easier).

If it's a new customer, control, or a maintenance medication, I wouldn't do it. Way too much of a hassle and/or legal liability. For an urgent medication with a valid reason, I think it would be the right thing to do.

Vitamin K

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
If you work for a chain, you'll most likely have to do it under the table, if at all. If you're working at an independent, it's up to the owners. I don't think it would be too much of a problem if you have a good working relationship with the medical office and you're able to find a way to secure payment. You'll also have to fulfill the various legal requirements, mainly offer to counsel (you could get away with the same way mail order does it, but a simple phone call would be easier).

If it's a new customer, control, or a maintenance medication, I wouldn't do it. Way too much of a hassle and/or legal liability. For an urgent medication with a valid reason, I think it would be the right thing to do.
I agree. It depends on the patient and what your relationship with them is like. If you don't know them or the medical office very well, I'd ask them to pick it up during regular hours or offer to transfer it to a 24 hour pharmacy.

SoonerPharmD

5+ Year Member
May 4, 2009
southern california- inland empire
Status
Pharmacist
transfer it to a 24 hr walgreens. tell them to buy lots of junk too.

if the pt requested it and the medical office agrees, then it would be ok since they would be legally the agent of the pt. err something along those lines.