What to do for letters of recommendations

Started by Anahi13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anahi13

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need some advice. I plan to start applying for dental schools, but I completed my bachelors degree a few years back (3yrs) and do not know how to ask for a letter of recommendation from an old professor? I have letters of recommendations from dentists, is it really a requirement to have one from a professor as well.?
 
Need some advice. I plan to start applying for dental schools, but I completed my bachelors degree a few years back (3yrs) and do not know how to ask for a letter of recommendation from an old professor? I have letters of recommendations from dentists, is it really a requirement to have one from a professor as well.?

Yes, most schools require LORs from professors. Some specifically require a science professor, some require multiple science professors from different subject fields (e.g. Biology and Chemistry). When I applied I had LORs from a chemistry professor, biology professor, a non-science professor from my thesis committee, and a dentist. I'd recommend emailing old professors and arranging a meeting to remind them who you are and tell them what you've been doing for the last few years in addition to giving them any relevant information to write you a LOR such as transcripts, etc.