What to do for letters of recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anahi13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice. I plan to start applying for dental schools, but I completed my bachelors degree a few years back (3yrs) and do not know how to ask for a letter of recommendation from an old professor? I have letters of recommendations from dentists, is it really a requirement to have one from a professor as well.?

Members don't see this ad.

Need some advice. I plan to start applying for dental schools, but I completed my bachelors degree a few years back (3yrs) and do not know how to ask for a letter of recommendation from an old professor? I have letters of recommendations from dentists, is it really a requirement to have one from a professor as well.?

Yes, most schools require LORs from professors. Some specifically require a science professor, some require multiple science professors from different subject fields (e.g. Biology and Chemistry). When I applied I had LORs from a chemistry professor, biology professor, a non-science professor from my thesis committee, and a dentist. I'd recommend emailing old professors and arranging a meeting to remind them who you are and tell them what you've been doing for the last few years in addition to giving them any relevant information to write you a LOR such as transcripts, etc.