What to do for my MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgical Spoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all I am a senior graduating this may. Im pretty concerned about my chance at MD/DO program and would (hopefully) get a better understanding of my case from you guys!

Background: Asian male first-gen college student, 22 of age, NY-resident
Bore in Australia, raised in China. Moved to US about 8 years ago, English is not my first language---I honestly don't know if this will hurt me or not. I speak fluent english when I am not nervous, with that being said, I will probably speak a very broken english during my interview (Hopefully I will get some).
Undergrad: One of the SUNYs
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: As of now, 3.6cGPA, ~3.5sGPA (downward trend. 3.5cGPA freshman, 3.8cGPA sophomore (mostly 200 level bio, chem, physics classes), 3.6cGPA junior, 3.6cGPA first half of senior. I don't have any Cs or Fs or Ws on my transcript. All the classes are taken in the university during regular semesters.)
MCAT: This is the part where I am struggling currently. I just finished biochem 1 in school last semester (Fall 2017). I am planning to take the MCAT on Jan 20. I have roughly less than 4 weeks to study for the test. I am using Kaplan self-paced to study for MCAT. I took 1 diagnostic test and 2 full lengths in the past 2 weeks. Scores are 497, 499, 503. The lated score breaks down to (126, 125, 127, 125). One thing to note is that my chem/phy and bio/biochem scores are consistent (126 and 127 on all three full-lengths). I know that I am on a very tight schedule for MCAT but I am motivated, and in actuality I spend about 7 to 8 hours to study everyday except during my volunteer and part time job.
Extracurricular: ~1600 Hr (8hr/day, roughly 1 day/week. I'm still working and this is my forth year) assistant / technician at a private-practice ophthalmology office. I do all the machine-based eye exams such as HFA, OCT, auto refraction. I check patient's eye sights as well as getting the chief complaints, subjective notes for the visit, and some objective notes such as eye sights, reading of the glasses...etc. All 1600 hr are basically around clinical since I am working and interacting with a patient rather than just helping out the doctor.
Volunteering: ~450 Hr (5hr/shift/week. This is my second year of volunteering) at a local community hospital in Queens, more specifically the ambulatory recovery unit. I gained most of my passion for medicine from here, although initially from my work at the eye clinic. Most of the patients are minority and speak a different language (What I am really trying to say is that I choose to help out a hospital not because I am building a resume and simply ticking off boxes for med school. I really want to give back to a community that need the help that I can provide, a community where all kinds of people unite to put on a smile on everyone that needs the help)
Research: NONE

One of my questions is do I REALLY need research if all I want is clinical? I hate the fact that I need to go do something that I don't enjoy for the sake of satisfying a med school requirement. I personally value building experiences / stories rather than building a resume.
Another big concern is my MCAT. I am planning to apply this cycle if my MCAT on Jan 20 goes well. If, lets say I got 505 on the MCAT, do I need to retake? If so then I need to take an extra gap year. I really don't want that because I know if I slack off from school too long it would take a lot for me to get that momentum back, and that lack of momentum is not something good for med schools.
As for school lists, I don't mind between MD or DO, I pay equal respects to professionals from both fields.

Edit I (02/23/2018):
Just got back my score
126/125/129/128
508 total

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We really won't be able to gauge how well you will do in the upcoming cycle because there is no official MCAT score but here are some comments.

Your practice MCATs are low for MD. Acceptances with a 505 are usually due to *outstanding* stories and resumes. 505 is great for DO.
GPA is doable for DO. GPA will hurt for MD. MCAT will hurt for MD. The downward trend will be a red flag for most schools you apply to, including DO. So overall, your academics seem fine for DO but they may not be enough for MD.

As for ECs, I think you have great clinical experiences so that will fare well with the adcoms. However, is that enough for an acceptance? Might be but not likely. I think you need more leadership experience to give your app and more well-rounded figure. And when you write your app, you need to really kill the personal statement. This will set you apart from other candidates. Your profile so far is very cookie cutter. So the story you implement will need to catch the adcoms eyes.

As for research, med schools do NOT require research but they would like for candidates to explore it. You don't have to like it but because we are currently practicing evidence-based medicine, being involved in research helps convince the adcoms that you understand the scientific process and can easily apply that to the medical diagnosis process. Doing undergrad research is kind of like using your bio/chem/phys knowledge and applying it to the "real world", which is what you'll be doing as a doctor. So although research is not required, those that have experienced it and effectively learned from it are looked very favorable over those who haven't. An important question is to ask yourself why you haven't pursued it. When adcoms have your profile in front of them, they will be asking "why hasnt this candidate explored research and challenged their self to experience it?". Is it because they were extremely busy? Were there other commitments? How unique are these other experiences? Will their experiences help them with critical thinking?

Take these with a grain of salt because I'm not in med school yet. But as a current applicant (who got a 124 on the MCAT, and ORM) that applied to 9 schools and got 5 interviews back, I feel like I did something right.

Reactions: 1 user
We really won't be able to gauge how well you will do in the upcoming cycle because there is no official MCAT score but here are some comments.

Your practice MCATs are low for MD. Acceptances with a 505 are usually due to *outstanding* stories and resumes. 505 is great for DO.
GPA is doable for DO. GPA will hurt for MD. MCAT will hurt for MD. The downward trend will be a red flag for most schools you apply to, including DO. So overall, your academics seem fine for DO but they may not be enough for MD.

As for ECs, I think you have great clinical experiences so that will fare well with the adcoms. However, is that enough for an acceptance? Might be but not likely. I think you need more leadership experience to give your app and more well-rounded figure. And when you write your app, you need to really kill the personal statement. This will set you apart from other candidates. Your profile so far is very cookie cutter. So the story you implement will need to catch the adcoms eyes.

As for research, med schools do NOT require research but they would like for candidates to explore it. You don't have to like it but because we are currently practicing evidence-based medicine, being involved in research helps convince the adcoms that you understand the scientific process and can easily apply that to the medical diagnosis process. Doing undergrad research is kind of like using your bio/chem/phys knowledge and applying it to the "real world", which is what you'll be doing as a doctor. So although research is not required, those that have experienced it and effectively learned from it are looked very favorable over those who haven't. An important question is to ask yourself why you haven't pursued it. When adcoms have your profile in front of them, they will be asking "why hasnt this candidate explored research and challenged their self to experience it?". Is it because they were extremely busy? Were there other commitments? How unique are these other experiences? Will their experiences help them with critical thinking?

Take these with a grain of salt because I'm not in med school yet. But as a current applicant (who got a 124 on the MCAT, and ORM) that applied to 9 schools and got 5 interviews back, I feel like I did something right.

How'd you get 5 interviews with a 124 on the mcat? That's pretty crazy since 124 is like 0th percentile :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you rushing to take the mcat so badly?? I would definitely push it back. 4 weeks is really not enough time to study for the mcat. I would say 3 months at least with 2 months being the minimum. Your GPA is not bad at all, but only problem is how competitive this process is especially with people with 3.9's and 4.0's. But do not think that your GPA is too low I had a 3.6 cGPA and was accepted into an MD medical school. Definitely apply both to DO and MD to increase your chances though. What I would like to focus on is your MCAT. Please do yourself the biggest favor ever and do not rush into it, that will help you in the long run and increase your chances of getting in. There is nothing wrong with retaking the test if you are not happy with the score, but why not just take it once and do well and be done. My best advice to you is to push back your mcat and give yourself a good amount of time. In reality 7-8 hours a day is what most people spend studying for the mcat anyway (if not in classes) so I am not trying to criticize at all but why not give yourself more time to max out that score. If you score at least a 508 I think that makes you competitive for maybe not most but a good amount of medical schools. I just really have a concern for why you are rushing to take the mcat on Jan 20th when you have 5-6 months before the application cycle starts.

Reactions: 1 users
How'd you get 5 interviews with a 124 on the mcat? That's pretty crazy since 124 is like 0th percentile :p

Lmaoooo. Thanks but I played my cards right, got good LORs, 2 presidencies with national journal recognition in one club, medical school pub, and D1 club volleyball talent (ranked 19th in the nation). And I applied to technically 9 schools that I would love to go too and got 5 back. Don't get me started on my 1000+ hours of clinical experience. But I guess you're still right. It's like "0th percentile"...

Last edited:
Lmaoooo. Thanks but I played my cards right, got good LORs, 2 presidencies with national journal recognition in one club, medical school pub, and D1 club volleyball talent (ranked 19th in the nation). And I applied to technically 9 schools that I would love to go too and got 5 back. Don't get me started on my 1000+ hours of clinical experience. But I guess you're still right. It's like "0th percentile"...
Wait I'm confused now because a 124 is impossible lol. I was just poking a little fun at what i thought was a typo. Did you mean 524? Or 124 in each section? But congrats on the accomplishments!

Wait I'm confused now because a 124 is impossible lol. I was just poking a little fun at what i thought was a typo. Did you mean 524? Or 124 in each section? But congrats on the accomplishments!

Omg!! I'm so dumb. I thought you were poking fun at my 124 in CARS and being an underdog!! I should've mentioned that. Please disregard the sass lol

Thank you so much for your advice. I will definitely consider research during the summer to improve my skills and competence. As for the reason why I didn't do research in the past 3.5 years of undergrad... Well let's just say I was not confident with research at all from my limited experience and lack of carefulness in those undergrad lab courses (most of them are B-s and Bs).

I'll keep you updated if I can. I hope the best for you and good luck with your apps!

Why are you rushing to take the mcat so badly?? I would definitely push it back. 4 weeks is really not enough time to study for the mcat. I would say 3 months at least with 2 months being the minimum. Your GPA is not bad at all, but only problem is how competitive this process is especially with people with 3.9's and 4.0's. But do not think that your GPA is too low I had a 3.6 cGPA and was accepted into an MD medical school. Definitely apply both to DO and MD to increase your chances though. What I would like to focus on is your MCAT. Please do yourself the biggest favor ever and do not rush into it, that will help you in the long run and increase your chances of getting in. There is nothing wrong with retaking the test if you are not happy with the score, but why not just take it once and do well and be done. My best advice to you is to push back your mcat and give yourself a good amount of time. In reality 7-8 hours a day is what most people spend studying for the mcat anyway (if not in classes) so I am not trying to criticize at all but why not give yourself more time to max out that score. If you score at least a 508 I think that makes you competitive for maybe not most but a good amount of medical schools. I just really have a concern for why you are rushing to take the mcat on Jan 20th when you have 5-6 months before the application cycle starts.

Thank you for the concerns;)
I actually have a big load of courses for my final semester spring of 2018, and from my past experience, I know I will chicken-out on forcing myself to studying the MCAT if I have a busy schedule (while keeping both volunteering and my part-time job). I just took the AAMC FL3 yesterday, and got 130/123 (OMFG:eek:)/129/126, total of 508. I am going over the test right now and try to figure out why I bombed the CARS that badly, and study a little more on psych and chem/phys/bio/biochem to maintain the competence. Hopefully I can nail the upcoming MCAT which is only IN 2 DAYS.;)
Will keep you updated if I can, thx again for your help!

Bad news guys:(:(
Got a 508 on my MCAT
126/125/129/128
Overall 77%
:(I knew CARS was going to kill me but I didn’t expect chem/phys to be this bad

Now I need real advise:
Do I throw off my plan and study MCAT during my gap year and then retake? Or should I aim low and broad for the upcoming cycle?
Honestly I doubt I could get any interviews with this score combo along with the fact that I’m an Asian male:(

Help me out guys, thxx

Bad news guys:(:(
Got a 508 on my MCAT
126/125/129/128
Overall 77%
:(I knew CARS was going to kill me but I didn’t expect chem/phys to be this bad

Now I need real advise:
Do I throw off my plan and study MCAT during my gap year and then retake? Or should I aim low and broad for the upcoming cycle?
Honestly I doubt I could get any interviews with this score combo along with the fact that I’m an Asian male:(

Help me out guys, thxx
Edited: Realized you already answered my question regarding permanent residency. A 508 is fine for lower tier MDs and maybe mid tier with a good story.

Last edited:
You should be able to receive MD interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
California University (new school)
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman)

You should be able to receive MD interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
California University (new school)
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman)

Quick question: for DO schools, i couldn’t seem to obtain a DO LOR for the time being, does that limit my chances in anyways?