What are my chances of a DO acceptance with a low gpa and high MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmed6672

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards doing a DIY post bacc this year, but would I have a chance of getting accepted into a DO program if I applied with my current low gpa?

My stats:
2.9sgpa/3.0cgpa
519 MCAT
1000+ clinical hours with direct patient contact
50 DO shadowing hours
Two publications
President of two organizations in undergrad
2 MD and 1 DO LOR
Unique volunteer experiences
Also I am underrepresented in medicine and a low income student

Members don't see this ad.

Moved to WAMC.

Better to do a DIY post-bacc with the sub 3.0 sGPA. If you are able to do 30+ credits over the next year, it would then be worth applying to MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
A DIY post bacc is the best option. Take enough undergraduate level science courses at a local college to increase your sGPA to at least 3.1 .
Then you would have a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance with your MCAT of 519. Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?

Members don't see this ad :)
A DIY post bacc is the best option. Take enough undergraduate level science courses at a local college to increase your sGPA to at least 3.1 .
Then you would have a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance with your MCAT of 519. Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?
Thank you, that's what I thought as well. I am African American and fluent in spanish!

For URM with a GPA of 3.1 your odds increase to 75%. Where is your state of residence ?
My residence is in Texas for now, but I went to undergrad in Boston and have been living here since I graduated.

Let us know a year from now what your final GPA is and where you residence is at that time and we can suggest schools.

Your URM status helps you, and a DO program might take a chance on you. That being said, a flat 3.0 raises real questions in adcoms' eyes about whether you can do the work; doing well (3.5+ for DO, usually 3.7+ for MD but you might get some slack if lucky) in a DIY postbacc will put those doubts to bed.

Good luck with everything!