What to do for Surgery/Biostat section of Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueridgenc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing USMLE world questions. Reading MTB for Step 2 and Secrets. Overall, my average is 65/66%

My lowest scores are in Surgery and biostat. I have no idea how I can improve these two areas - esp. surgery. I have started reading Pestana's notes again. I read that a while back.

Any other suggestions? If I could improve on surgery, I think it would greatly help me out. Ideally some concise review would be nice. I cannot read NMS Surgery casebook now.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

surgery: be able to ID acute abdomen (=surgery as treatment), urethral damage (for some reason this is really popular) and trauma patient management algorithms for sure. The rest of surgery is mostly going to be medical management of surgical patients.

biostats: write down the square and the like 6 equations (sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV, AR, ARR) You should be golden with that and a familiarization of the biases as listed in a review book like step up to step 2. the UW questions are few and very helpful on this subject as well.