What to do? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John6301

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for stopping in. I'm stuck and not sure what route to take into medical school. Little background about myself:

Last semester undergrad.
Current cGPA 3.3 - sGPA 3.2 upward trend
Minority, first in the family
Bilingual (english/spanish)
Had to work most of my undergrad to support widowed mother. Majority of the occupation were healthcare related
Alot of community service hours
Here is the killer - took Mcat once scored a 487.
(Rushed in the summer, didn't prepare well and got that score.)

I'm confused on what to do next because everyone is telling me something different. I've been advised looking into Masters Programs, SMP with linkages, Post Bacc, and even some saying retake the MCAT. I know with better prepation I will do way better on my MCAT (started going through questions 2 weeks prior MCAT and only took 3 full lengths. Managed to get 502 on AAMC but on actual 487).

If anyone has been in this situation before, can you please share your experience with me and give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

A 487 is pretty low even when taking URM averages into account. My advice - with a 3.2/3.3 you're not in a terrible position if you apply broadly for MD and you'd be in an even better position if you apply to DO schools as well...After taking the MCAT and shooting for that 502 that you got in your AAMC full lengths. SMP/Master's Programs are $$$ and with above a 3.0 I would save the dough and just try for a better MCAT which I know it's easier said than done -- believe me that test is the bane of my existence.

Go for a linkage program, apply aggressively to many programs.

Then take the MCAT not before as part of the program.

PM me if I can help further.

Best,
AB

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go for a linkage program, apply aggressively to many programs.

Then take the MCAT not before as part of the program.

PM me if I can help further.

Best,
AB

Hey! Tried sending a PM but it didn't let me. Please message me! Thanks pal

A 487 is pretty low even when taking URM averages into account. My advice - with a 3.2/3.3 you're not in a terrible position if you apply broadly for MD and you'd be in an even better position if you apply to DO schools as well...After taking the MCAT and shooting for that 502 that you got in your AAMC full lengths. SMP/Master's Programs are $$$ and with above a 3.0 I would save the dough and just try for a better MCAT which I know it's easier said than done -- believe me that test is the bane of my existence.

Appreciate it! I'll definitely tackle the MCAT after this semester! Thank you for the advice!

Absolutely retake the MCAT, I had to take the MCAT twice too. Feel free to PM if you want any study advice!

Don't rush this. Invest the time and perhaps the money into MCAT prep. Ten years from now, what you spend in time and money is not gonna matter

Absolutely retake the MCAT, I had to take the MCAT twice too. Feel free to PM if you want any study advice!
Hey!

Tried PMing you but it wasnt letting me. I will appreciate any study advice you have! Happy holidays

I think you should retake the MCAT before considering any type of post bacc or masters. Honestly I dont think you would be admitted to some of the more popular smp programs with 487. And it would actually put you at a disadvantage to try to study for the mcat while being enrolled in one of these programs, the courses in these programs do not cover MCAT material you would have to find extra time study outside of regular class work. Smp is for GPA problems I think you could be ok in that department.

I think you should retake the MCAT before considering any type of post bacc or masters. Honestly I dont think you would be admitted to some of the more popular smp programs with 487. And it would actually put you at a disadvantage to try to study for the mcat while being enrolled in one of these programs, the courses in these programs do not cover MCAT material you would have to find extra time study outside of regular class work. Smp is for GPA problems I think you could be ok in that department.

So no SMP or post bacc? Just retaking the MCAT would be ideal?