pharMchiCK

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2004
Status
Hello.

I was wondering what people did if they got rejected the first time.

Did you apply again the following year, and got in?

What are some good back up plans I should make in case this year doesn't work out for me? ANy suggestions on your experience?

thanks!

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
well...depending on your circumstances

options...
a) finish your degree and/or
b) contact admissions offices at schools you applied to and get their input - i don't know from personal experience, but i've heard that the schools think very highly of this

good luck

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
pharMchiCK said:
Did you apply again the following year, and got in?
Yep.

pharMchiCK said:
What are some good back up plans I should make in case this year doesn't work out for me? ANy suggestions on your experience?
Reapply...EARLY. Early application is critical when applying to rolling admissions schools. Apply to more private schools, too. Also, if you are close to finishing a degree, try to do that. Gain pharmacy experience if you are lacking it. Volunteer if you can. Call the schools to which you applied this year to see how you can strengthen your application. Retake the PCAT if needed. Anything else I left out, feel free to add. :thumbup:

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2003
Lakeland, FL
Visit site
Status
My plan:

1. Get a BS in Biomedical Sciences at USF (I'm only need 20 hours)
2. I transferred from ER to pharmacy at the hospital where I volunteer
3. I'm retaking the physics series this summer to bump my gpa
4. I'm going to take Micro and Biochem in the fall, classes UF says they like
5. I'm going to reapply as soon as summer term is over.
6. I'm going to call the schools that reject me (assuming they do) and ask why, since I will be reapplying there.

I'm satisfied with my PCAT, so I don't plan on retaking it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

adventurer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Status
I applied last year in Jan/Feb and took the Jan PCAT. I applied to two schools and did not get an interview, dispite high GPA and high PCAT. I reapplied for early admission at U of MD in July and was accepted in Oct. I didn't change anything on my application (except for updating the grades). I did arrange to volunteer at a Pharmacy and continued to go to school last semester, but since I am nowhere near my degree, I chose to work this semester instead.

You already know what to do-the biggest thing is applying EARLY. I know its tough, but try to relax about it, since it is a long road no matter what happens. (Incidentally, it was very tough to make myself study for my classes after I was accepted to Pharm school, since they "didn't matter")

Good luck

Leah27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
New York State
Visit site
Status
dito.. i did the same thing.. high grades, high PCAT, degree... applied late, and didn't get in... took a job as a pharmacy tech, applied again, and got in to U Maryland in october.... still getting interview letters from other schools also! it isn't the end of the world if you don't get in. there are lots of options , and it has been a good experience to see how working fulltime in the real world is!

Laferno

Total lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
In a house
Status
I got accepted on my first attempt, but if I had not got accepted I would have done the following:

1 - Scream, yell, pout, punch a pillow, punch a wall, scream from the pain caused by punching the wall, and finally get smart and take out the rest of my frustration on a punching bag while wearing proper boxing gloves.
2 - Call the college and try to figure out what part(s) of my application was/were the weakest so I could improve and become a more well-rounded candidate.
3 - Improve those areas.
4 - Apply early decision to my preferred school and get my applications ready for every other school that I intend to apply to.
5 - If I get denied from top choice school, then I would send my applications to all the other schools I was gonna apply to.
6 - If I get rejected from all of the schools, then I would start again at step one. Except I would apply to more schools. More places applied to = higher odds of getting accepted somewhere.

angelil_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
WPB, FL
Visit site
Status
I am not gonna apply beforehand if I knew that I am not gonna be competitive enough for the cycle. But, if I get rejected, LIFE GOES ON N ON AND ON..............................!!!!! :luck: