What to do in Glide year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Booney44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be attending a SMP this fall, but will unfortunately have to take a glide year. I want to find a research position for the upcoming year and during the off year so that I can get some experience as well as possibly get paid. Anybody have any experience doing this, or have any tips on how I should go about approaching this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Booney44 said:
I am going to be attending a SMP this fall, but will unfortunately have to take a glide year. I want to find a research position for the upcoming year and during the off year so that I can get some experience as well as possibly get paid. Anybody have any experience doing this, or have any tips on how I should go about approaching this situation?

im bumping this because i would appreciate insights as well.

Generally, the advisor at the school you are going to will have more information on this. Most of the SMP programs realize that you will have be using a glide year and will be needing to do something during that time. At any major medical school you should be able to find a research position closely aligned with your interests and training.