what to do in July?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotaPower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing an EM month in August and another one in Sept. I was wondering if anyone knew of any rotations out there I can do in July that would be good prep for the EM months that follow ?

Peds EM crossed my mind but I dont know how much hands on experience one would get...what about an FP elective? Tox? surgery elective? Lactation? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably do any rotation and you're likely to gain something from it that would be helpful. Confidence and brief yet succinct presentations will be good skills to sharpen up prior to doing your ED sub-I. Of course, increasing your knowledge base is always good, but I think that if your presentations are crisp, you'll out-shine your classmates and do well. Other intangibles that actually matter for your sub-I in the ED are showing up on time (always, no matter what), enthusiasm, and being personable.

Having said all this, look into Derm, Urgent Care, FP or even Rads prior to doing your ED month. These are all helpful, fun and not too bad on the schedule leaving you with energy to work hard on your sub-I.
Good luck and have fun.

LotaPower said:
I'm thinking about doing an EM month in August and another one in Sept. I was wondering if anyone knew of any rotations out there I can do in July that would be good prep for the EM months that follow ?

Peds EM crossed my mind but I dont know how much hands on experience one would get...what about an FP elective? Tox? surgery elective? Lactation? :eek:

ICU.

It'll be intense, but also give you excellent exposure to critical medicine which, until you are comfortable around it, can be the most stressful part of EM. If your team likes you, you may get to put in some tubes & lines or help out with scopes & trachs. Otherwise I'd suggest doing a cardiology rotation with a non-invaisive cardiologist with a mix of office visits, inpatient consults, and heavy EKG reading exposure.

The others that you mentioned would be lower yield, although any Peds exposure is helpful.